The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lamela always gave 100% something the fans in the stadium would have appreciated, although sometimes he looked like a headless chicken and always living on the edge of getting sent off.

He’s been at Spurs for a long while and let’s not forget he scored one of the best goals that’s ever been seen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm gutted Lamela has gone. Had to happen eventually, but we'll never see a glorious :poop:-house of his ilk again I shouldn't think. In fairness I think he peaked with the rabona goal + red card in the NLD. That had to be the glass ceiling for him I should think. Have so many fond memories of him, like the time he stamped on Fabregas' hand, or the time he called Wilshere a ?. Sad to see him go.

I have no idea who Bryan Gil is so only time will tell if that's a good deal or not.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve long since stopped being overly optimistic about our signings because we routinely turn diamonds into cubic zerconia but I’ll genuinely be excited if we get this Varane deal over the line.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve long since stopped being overly optimistic about our signings because we routinely turn diamonds into cubic zerconia but I’ll genuinely be excited if we get this Varane deal over the line.

It looks like it's a done deal ............................. at £34M!
Wow that seems cheap, especially when compared to £50M for Ben White.
This has been a good window for United so far ....................................... and that makes a change!
Declan Rice and Erling Haaland would be nice. :whistle:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This has been a good window for United so far ....................................... and that makes a change!

Needed two quality central defenders for a long time - we’ve looked vulnerable for far too long.

I agree, a great window so far. I suspect that may be it unless Pogba goes, as funding for more signings will probably be needed, especially the players you have in mind!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
One for the utd fans. Two quality signings so far. But has the penny finally dropped for the Utd finance men. What’s the reason behind the spending this season as against not spending in other.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Needed two quality central defenders for a long time - we’ve looked vulnerable for far too long.

I agree, a great window so far. I suspect that may be it unless Pogba goes, as funding for more signings will probably be needed, especially the players you have in mind!

I read somewhere that the Sancho deal is payable over four years, that's less than £20M out of our current budget.
Maybe we could use Lingard as part of the fee for rice.
Haaland, that's just wishful thinking.
If Kane is worth £160M, Haaland is comfortably worth £200M+.

D

Deleted member 15344

a year left on his contract so hard to push too much for a bigger fee

Just a small chunk to add onto the debt or use the credit line

I see Neville has stopped screaming about the disgrace in money as Man Utd who are in a huge debt , had big losses due to Covid , have taken out further credit loans yet can spend over £100mil on two players

How can any more players be bought without someone being sold for a big fee ?

Thankfully OGS is still at the wheel

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
One for the utd fans. Two quality signings so far. But has the penny finally dropped for the Utd finance men. What’s the reason behind the spending this season as against not spending in other.

Utd generally spend big/back the manager when we've failed to reach the Champions League, this year just feels a bit different.
Maybe there's guilt/remorse due to the failed ESL fiasco.

D

Deleted member 15344

Utd generally spend big/back the manager when we've failed to reach the Champions League, this year just feels a bit different.
Maybe there's guilt/remorse due to the failed ESL fiasco.

Looks like it’s all forgotten with the club spending even more millions. I guess those protests were a bit hollow after all

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So why has nobody else come in for him?
Liverpool spent similar sums on Konate, Arsenal have virtually done £50M on White, AC Milan spent £25M on Tomori.
I think Utd have bagged a real bargain with Varane, a real bargain.

think AC Milan got one too, in fact 3 of those look really good business, hope im wrong on the 4th

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Liverpool spent similar sums on Konate, Arsenal have virtually done £50M on White, AC Milan spent £25M on Tomori.

I had a horrible feeling we were being used as a means to bag a new deal at Real, same as Ramos did a few years back. I agree, this is a top quality deal at a bargain price given the player involved.

D

Deleted member 15344

Konate was on release clause

Tomori is young and not established yet

White has the English tax on it

If Madrid didn’t sell him they would have lost him for free next year

A lot of the other top clubs already have top CB’s

And Varane deal is reported to have doubled his wage to £10mil ( after tax ) a year (£200k a week ) -highest paid player in the Prem

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

In what way?

Because they don’t care about the owners now because they’re spending £100 mil ( despite the huge debt and Covid losses ) on players

Where has Neville gone and all his rants about the disgraceful actions and money ? Suddenly stopped is seems - just shows the hypocritical nature of it all - clubs losing millions through Covid , huge debts yet continues to spend

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't think any of the protests were hollow, it helped to get the ESL confined to Room 101.
Or was it the threat of legal action and being threatened to be kicked out of the Prem and CL ? To save a very messy court case

Man Utd have huge debts and recently took out more credit line and go and spend £100mil - does that not worry you at all ? Or does it get ignored because a player is bought

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Or was it the threat of legal action and being threatened to be kicked out of the Prem and CL ? To save a very messy court case

Man Utd have huge debts and recently took out more credit line and go and spend £100mil - does that not worry you at all ? Or does it get ignored because a player is bought
Ok we won’t be happy at the club signing a good player. Thanks for reminding us what a good fan is.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ok we won’t be happy at the club signing a good player. Thanks for reminding us what a good fan is.

I wouldn’t worry. When you look at operating costs and revenue, servicing debt is not an issue.

Liverpool are pretty similar in terms of % and have done exceptionally well with sponsorship, although Nike have been a bit slow ‘coughing up’ their money. And the Courtinho money, which distorted the balance sheet, is long since spent. Their current fire sale of fringe players, estimated value of £75m, will make quite a difference, especially with a wage bill not far short of their income.

Arsenal are, probably, most in ‘danger’ from the loss of revenue, and still appear to be a club in transition.