The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing in football is coincidence. Also, if you remember... He did bugger all at the euros*!

*depending on who you ask, and which team they support!

Indeed, announce now so no investigation when he does not play in the opening match as part of the transfer deal.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The Jury has been picked for the Ryan Giggs court case

Attachments

• 1B21325D-EE33-4939-95DF-CDB29BEC0F05.jpeg
    1B21325D-EE33-4939-95DF-CDB29BEC0F05.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 41

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apparently we're selling Toby to some team in Qatar. Last I heard he wanted to go back to his native Belgium with his family - seems to have taken a wrong turn somewhere, I wonder what caused that? :rolleyes: Disappointing given that he's only 32 but quite happy to waste the end of his career for some extra digits in the bank account, but he's not the first and won't be the last.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Disappointing given that he's only 32 but quite happy to waste the end of his career for some extra digits in the bank account, but he's not the first and won't be the last.
I don’t even know the player you are talking about, but in principle I don’t understand why people play in China, Middle East, Russia for the last really big pay cheque. The money surely is big, but if they are such a big name player they could get a contract in any European big league which pays more than enough to last the out their lifetime. Hoffenheim, Salzburg, Eindhoven, … must all be nicer than playing in a regime state.
And people going to Turkey? A lot of people sign big money contract, and a year later they leave on a free transfer because they haven’t been paid their wages.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently we're selling Toby to some team in Qatar. Last I heard he wanted to go back to his native Belgium with his family - seems to have taken a wrong turn somewhere, I wonder what caused that? :rolleyes: Disappointing given that he's only 32 but quite happy to waste the end of his career for some extra digits in the bank account, but he's not the first and won't be the last.

Perhaps he sees football as a job and has been offered a massive pay rise by another company to do the same job he is doing now but with less demanding conditions. Football is finite for players and retirement usually comes some 25-30 years earlier than us Joes, why would someone not want to take a pay rise with less stress and a bigger retirement pot?

Ok, footballers are extraordinarily well paid in general, but would you not accept a job with another company for a pay rise even if you were feeling "comfortable" in your current situation?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don’t even know the player you are talking about, but in principle I don’t understand why people play in China, Middle East, Russia for the last really big pay cheque. The money surely is big, but if they are such a big name player they could get a contract in any European big league which pays more than enough to last the out their lifetime. Hoffenheim, Salzburg, Eindhoven, … must all be nicer than playing in a regime state.
And people going to Turkey? A lot of people sign big money contract, and a year later they leave on a free transfer because they haven’t been paid their wages.

Double the money and probably tax free.
If it was an option why wouldn't you?

It's also probably an easier life than playing for a mid table team in a top European league.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps he sees football as a job and has been offered a massive pay rise by another company to do the same job he is doing now but with less demanding conditions. Football is finite for players and retirement usually comes some 25-30 years earlier than us Joes, why would someone not want to take a pay rise with less stress and a bigger retirement pot?

Ok, footballers are extraordinarily well paid in general, but would you not accept a job with another company for a pay rise even if you were feeling "comfortable" in your current situation?
I have no problem with it but it's not like he's getting peanuts with us, or as Larmen said, another European would definitely be giving him a reasonable contract. I totally understand moving for money, but then personally I still wouldn't go to a fourth-rate league where competition is basically nil (and not to mention the fact it's stupidly hot over there) just to earn 400k a week instead of 200k a week. I feel like I'd be alright for money either way and I'd rather keep playing a good standard.

Then again I don't really have a huge amount of ambition in my own working life, so maybe that's just me. As long as I have enough money I'm more worried about my day to day happiness.

Edit: Also he's only 32. He could have had another two years at a good level and still then gone to Qatar/China if he wanted, as he'd still be good enough for those leagues then. I'm surprised he's making this move so early.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I have no problem with it but it's not like he's getting peanuts with us, or as Larmen said, another European would definitely be giving him a reasonable contract. I totally understand moving for money, but then personally I still wouldn't go to a fourth-rate league where competition is basically nil (and not to mention the fact it's stupidly hot over there) just to earn 400k a week instead of 200k a week. I feel like I'd be alright for money either way and I'd rather keep playing a good standard.

Then again I don't really have a huge amount of ambition in my own working life, so maybe that's just me. As long as I have enough money I'm more worried about my day to day happiness.

Edit: Also he's only 32. He could have had another two years at a good level and still then gone to Qatar/China if he wanted, as he'd still be good enough for those leagues then. I'm surprised he's making this move so early.

Even an extra 100k a week is 5 million a year. So an extra couple of years could easily add 10 to 20 million to his bank balance. It would certainly make retirement much more comfortable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even an extra 100k a week is 5 million a year. So an extra couple of years could easily add 10 to 20 million to his bank balance. It would certainly make retirement much more comfortable.
Do you think he's struggling to make ends meet at the moment then?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we are not talking about money that takes someone over that ‘make a living’ line but money that goes straight into disposable income.
Yes, it needs to last for retirement, but these days any footballer of some qualified earns enough to last out if they are not entirely stupid or mislead.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that there is always the assumption that the foorballer cares more than a normal employee and that will not always be the case. They may have no affiliation to a club, may have done what they see as their stint at international level and I suspect that more than would like to admit do not even like playing that much any more. You are a long time retired and so an easier life with a massive pay cheque seems the ideal way to go.

I suspect we are guilty of seeing being a footballer as being all about winning medals and playing for famous clubs or those you supported as a boy but I suspect for some it is now simply a daily grind and a pay cheque.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Do you think he's struggling to make ends meet at the moment then?

Probably not. But you never know!
There are very few people who wouldn't be happy with an extra few million in the bank to make like easier for longer.

Plus training is probably much easier. Win win.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I think that there is always the assumption that the foorballer cares more than a normal employee and that will not always be the case. They may have no affiliation to a club, may have done what they see as their stint at international level and I suspect that more than would like to admit do not even like playing that much any more. You are a long time retired and so an easier life with a massive pay cheque seems the ideal way to go.

I suspect we are guilty of seeing being a footballer as being all about winning medals and playing for famous clubs or those you supported as a boy but I suspect for some it is now simply a daily grind and a pay cheque.

Exactly this.

My BiL played for a low PL/1st Division club in the early 2000s. After the initial buzz of signing for a club at that level. It was just a job to him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly this.

My BiL played for a low PL/1st Division club in the early 2000s. After the initial buzz of signing for a club at that level. It was just a job to him.
I understand that, I still wouldn't go and play in a country where it's stupid hot and the football is awful just for even more ridiculous wages then I was already on. But job satisfaction is different for different people. :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spurs have signed a winger from Sevilla, Bryan Gil, with Erik Lamela going the other way. I don't know the Sevilla player, are Spurs fans happy with that?

Lamela was one of those odd players. Could be superb at times but anonymous and irritating at others. I would not have thought there would be too many tears at him moving on.