The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There has been a lot of financial doping by them - big sponserships , handouts from governments , the media rights etc in La Liga are very unbalanced with Madrid and Barce getting the bigger shares. Madrid are in the same sort of financial problems but they will prob bring in some big players - same with PSG

It will amaze me how many clubs will spend some big money when they clubs don’t make huge profits and Covid has reduced the level of commercial income - how will City spend £200mil on Grealish and Kane or Chelsea spend £150mil on Haaland ?

Simple answer - they wont. City simply dont spend that much on individual players! Cheslea can - and probably will!

At what point will these giant spanish teams fall apart is the question on my mind..

D

Deleted member 15344

Simple answer - they wont. City simply dont spend that much on individual players! Cheslea can - and probably will!

At what point will these giant spanish teams fall apart is the question on my mind..

Pep was stating recently that they are getting priced out of players -players like Haaland etc are going to go for big fees , we can’t afford them and i suspect City don’t want to pay that level but if they want Grealish etc or a replacement for Aguero then it’s going to cost

The Spanish teams always seem to find a way out - currently Barce are £900mil in debt , Madrid just a touch less - UEFA rules shouldn’t allow that level of debt on clubs

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Nonsense it a beautiful tune, sung like Hogan says as a lament. [sad song remembering the dead]
The Corries [3 of them in those days] used to pack out the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in my pre 1970's visits.
Traditional folk music was very popular then and The Corries were a class act.

Which is pretty much exactly how I described it. Dirgeful. A lament for the dead.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/dirgeful

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The name is irrelevant, the threads get too big and go on and on, we’ve had a seperate PL thread for the last 8yrs and never been an issue.

I’ve got no problem if the mods wish to delete or merge this thread, but if they decide, can we merge the Scottish Football Thread and the other Football threads that are currently open?
How's it too big, there are at least two other active threads with more pages.

Scottish football can still have it's own thread because most of us don't care about that. :D

D

Deleted member 16999

Scottish football can still have it's own thread because most of us don't care about that. :D
Gets too big I said!

Anyway, let the mods decide, I can’t delete the thread as it’s against forum rules.

Fresh season, fresh start.

I look forward to you moaning about the next SPOTY or Masters Thread etc.;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gets too big I said!

Anyway, let the mods decide, I can’t delete the thread as it’s against forum rules.

Fresh season, fresh start.

I look forward to you moaning about the next SPOTY or Masters Thread etc.;)
What the hell is a spotty thread? :LOL: It's a bit different as the Masters doesn't actually go on all year round, but whatever.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The name is irrelevant, the threads get too big and go on and on, we’ve had a seperate PL thread for the last 8yrs and never been an issue.

I’ve got no problem if the mods wish to delete or merge this thread, but if they decide, can we merge the Scottish Football Thread and the other Football threads that are currently open?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek: ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

What the hell is a spotty thread? :LOL: It's a bit different as the Masters doesn't actually go on all year round, but whatever.
Read slower, it helps.(y)

The Length of time is irrelevant, it’s still the same event, the Premier League 2021/22 is only 1 event.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The big one is Pedri - a year left of his contract , can’t give him a new one yet , players like Dembele , Greizmann , Coutinho , Pjanic , Roberto , Umtti

Can prob get any of them apart from Messi - madness at the club

Similar chatter about Madrid, that they need to trim some of their earners to enable them to make the signings they want. Wouldnt object if it meant they wanted us to take Odegaard on the cheap

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nonsense it a beautiful tune, sung like Hogan says as a lament. [sad song remembering the dead]
The Corries [3 of them in those days] used to pack out the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in my pre 1970's visits.
Traditional folk music was very popular then and The Corries were a class act.
I went to see them a few times in Glasgow City Halls in mid-70s as their popularity really exploded. Roy Williamson sadly gone and missed. Really loved it when the audience started singing along actually quite gently. It got more rumbustious as the songs popularity spread - and by late 1970s it was a standard for the post-Murrayfield pub singalong (Deacon Brodies and The Last Drop being my main stops). As for trad Folk music popularity in mid-70s - loved the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra - some here won’t get that music either…philistines ??

Anyway - a digression from examining the belly button fluff of English football ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That’s already happening imo.
They dominate domestically but in Europe they are not what they used to be.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely crazy. How they made these business decisions ill never know - you'd think they would have better control of finanaces :ROFLMAO:

In Spain it works very differently to the UK with clubs being (for the most part) member owned and run. Real and Barca have Presidents that, IMO, hold large amounts of sporting and political sway and so they make outrageous promises in order to be elected. This has been going on for a long time with Laporte (returning, incoming Barca president) and Perez (Real president).

Real's Galacticos were a two-fold product of over ambition by the president (Perez again at the time) promising a "marquee signing" every year (remember they got Beckham for c. £35m) and overly generous government funding (Real being the "King's club").

Barca on the other hand have always had a bizarre commercial operating structure with the club carrying no shirt sponsor until 2006 (I think) when they entered a "reverse" sponsorship with Unicef and a little later a "normal" arrangement with Qatar Airways. They always relied on commercial revenue of merchandise, season tickets, membership payments and television rights.

The fact that the presidents hold so much sway is evident in what Phil describes in that the TV revenue is not distributed evenly with Barca and Real taking the lion's share.

Barca, in my opinion, lost their way with their scouting network and failure to capitalise on La Masia more and trying to follow the more "European" model of buying talent and then watching it go wrong. Overpaying for Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann and not seeing the levels of return. Barca's most successful years saw La Masia players dominate their squads.

They also have appointed the wrong person in Koeman to take them forward IMO and their managerial appointments since Enrique (ok Valverde did alright) have been cost over quality (this constant hope that Xavi is going to return and save them because Pep and Luis did so) and have seen regression instead of progress.

Directorial moves, mainly losing Txiki Begiristain to Man City (no coincidence their recruitment improved around the same time Barca's went downhill) and years of board room feuding have cost them and forced the need to chase "marquee" signings and pay way over the odds.

Real will always have the backing of the government when they need it (sell a car-park for 200 times it's worth to the local council for example) or have debts mysteriously "cancelled"...

I for one would like to see the financial plight of Barca force them to start relying on the undoubted talent of La Masia graduates (Pedri, Puig, Fati and Collado for example) and hopefully get rid of Koeman and get back to playing fast, free flowing football that we know them for.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's only a matter of time before this becomes the Liverpool thread with intervals of Everton/Liverpool "banter" and then everyone can not care.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey - didn’t realise some were so precious about a thread - Mods - no issues if you wish to close the football thread to allow a new football thread to start ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That’s already happening imo.
They dominate domestically but in Europe they are not what they used to be.

You arent wrong, European dominance has slowed since Real last won it! Liverpool, Bayern, Chelsea since!

In Spain it works very differently to the UK with clubs being (for the most part) member owned and run. Real and Barca have Presidents that, IMO, hold large amounts of sporting and political sway and so they make outrageous promises in order to be elected. This has been going on for a long time with Laporte (returning, incoming Barca president) and Perez (Real president).

Real's Galacticos were a two-fold product of over ambition by the president (Perez again at the time) promising a "marquee signing" every year (remember they got Beckham for c. £35m) and overly generous government funding (Real being the "King's club").

Barca on the other hand have always had a bizarre commercial operating structure with the club carrying no shirt sponsor until 2006 (I think) when they entered a "reverse" sponsorship with Unicef and a little later a "normal" arrangement with Qatar Airways. They always relied on commercial revenue of merchandise, season tickets, membership payments and television rights.

The fact that the presidents hold so much sway is evident in what Phil describes in that the TV revenue is not distributed evenly with Barca and Real taking the lion's share.

Barca, in my opinion, lost their way with their scouting network and failure to capitalise on La Masia more and trying to follow the more "European" model of buying talent and then watching it go wrong. Overpaying for Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann and not seeing the levels of return. Barca's most successful years saw La Masia players dominate their squads.

They also have appointed the wrong person in Koeman to take them forward IMO and their managerial appointments since Enrique (ok Valverde did alright) have been cost over quality (this constant hope that Xavi is going to return and save them because Pep and Luis did so) and have seen regression instead of progress.

Directorial moves, mainly losing Txiki Begiristain to Man City (no coincidence their recruitment improved around the same time Barca's went downhill) and years of board room feuding have cost them and forced the need to chase "marquee" signings and pay way over the odds.

Real will always have the backing of the government when they need it (sell a car-park for 200 times it's worth to the local council for example) or have debts mysteriously "cancelled"...

I for one would like to see the financial plight of Barca force them to start relying on the undoubted talent of La Masia graduates (Pedri, Puig, Fati and Collado for example) and hopefully get rid of Koeman and get back to playing fast, free flowing football that we know them for.

Still - they should employ (and im sure they do, but obviously yes men) financial controllers who say no once and a while! How they can go so far into a deficit is shocking management

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
You arent wrong, European dominance has slowed since Real last won it! Liverpool, Bayern, Chelsea since!

Still - they should employ (and im sure they do, but obviously yes men) financial controllers who say no once and a while! How they can go so far into a deficit is shocking management

Thing is, (well for Barca anyway) until last year or so, it's not been a problem. But you want to hang on to your presidency and the power that brings, you don't surround yourself with overly capable people. Whether that makes financial sense or not.