The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Let's talk about Kalvin Phillips. I think it's pretty sure that if Hendo were fit at matchday 1, he would not have had a look in. Last night I saw the stats, he covered 15km!! making a couple of assumptions, that is at a pace that would run a 52 minute 10k while playing footy! Has to be the fittest bloke in the squad, I don't think he has a knackered setting!!

Plus, he breaks up play very well and is decent in distribution! I knew naff all about him 3 weeks ago too!!
He’s been superb, had a great season with Leeds and fully derserves all the plaudits he’s receiving, got to be up their amongst our players of the tournament.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
GET IN THERE ENGLAND

ITS COMING HOME

Loved the Danish players ( ? ) comment about "what's 'coming home? You never had it in the 1st place-This is the Euros, NOT 1966 and the World Cup' "!!
Brilliant pointing out of the obvious.......( Hmmm, wonder how many others would appreciate the irony of this:p )
As previous-'Peace and love to all'

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Loved the Danish players ( ? ) comment about "what's 'coming home? You never had it in the 1st place-This is the Euros, NOT 1966 and the World Cup' "!!
Brilliant pointing out of the obvious.......( Hmmm, wonder how many others would appreciate the irony of this:p )
As previous-'Peace and love to all'

Missed the whole point of 3 lions tho

It's a song highlighting our constant failure but capturing the hope of a nation

Plus it's catchy as hell

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The answer depends on whether we are attacking or not. We started with a 4-2-3-1, with Mount the centre of the three. But when attacking it became 4-2-4, so in effect there was no No. 10. Hence the fluidity....

That's how I saw it anyway.

Tbh I didn’t know Mount was playing in the first half he was never in the build up.
He was marginally better second half.
But I would have Foden as I think he’s a better player in the middle.
But we all see what we see and it’s not what everyone else sees.(y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Armchair nonsense time -
Almost everyone is expecting a tough game, my hope is that Italy will have more of the "we are better than you" attitude and will focus more on playing their game rather than focusing more in stifling England, and this leads to a better game (I did write hope ?)

Expect I'll be panned for this, but I thought Saka overall had a poor game and was rightly subbed. He was great against Germany, and obviously against Denmark he had that spell which included the goal which was brill and put him back positive, but overall I felt he struggled to settle and seemed to have plenty of mistakes. Perhaps credit to Denmark.
Does this give GS a dilemma for Sunday? Guess GS tends to stick with his guys, and Italy's defense might just be the temptation to stick.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Armchair nonsense time -
Almost everyone is expecting a tough game, my hope is that Italy will have more of the "we are better than you" attitude and will focus more on playing their game rather than focusing more in stifling England, and this leads to a better game (I did write hope ?)

Expect I'll be panned for this, but I thought Saka overall had a poor game and was rightly subbed. He was great against Germany, and obviously against Denmark he had that spell which included the goal which was brill and put him back positive, but overall I felt he struggled to settle and seemed to have plenty of mistakes. Perhaps credit to Denmark.
Does this give GS a dilemma for Sunday? Guess GS tends to stick with his guys, and Italy's defense might just be the temptation to stick.
I do think Sancho was a tad unlucky to lose his place after a 4-0 win.
It’s not often you win 4-0 in international tournaments.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s the next day after the event - it’s raw and people will talk about it until the next event happens , that’s how it goes , it was certainly worldwide for Hand Of God and other events always get talked about the day after the event - in a couple of days it will be something else or whatever happens in the final - Denmark will prob talk about it for a while just like England talk about their injustices as they say - Germany Prob still go on about the 66 final and the ball crossing the line or not.

?

Having worked for German companies or for companies with a heavy German presence/influence over the last 32 years, I can assure you that they dont.

1972, 1974, 1980, 1990, 1996 and 2014 means that any angst they may feel about '66 has long since subsided as a minor irrelevance.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watching the sterling penalty incident again I think the ref has given it because the defender makes the challenge then pulls his foot away in that guilty manner.
The ref is well places although cant really tell his much if any contact due to it being on the bye line. There has to be an element of guesswork.
Had the defender had his nibble and left his foot planted on the floor. Raheem's over exuberant fall could and should have been waved away.
The opportunity was there to go VAR and have a proper look. This should have been done.
Alan Shearer has it right when he says you would not be happy to have that given against you and I feel the same way.

RichA

Visit site
I can't take Shearer too seriously. I remember plenty of matches where I wasn't happy with penalties that he won for his team, or goals he scored following a shove in the back of a defender. Super slow motion VAR would have chalked plenty of his goals off.
I don't like diving, but I can't see how 90 minutes of body checking, shirt pulling, obstructing and time wasting isn't cheating yet falling over when somebody kicks you while making no effort to kick the ball makes you a pariah.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't take Shearer too seriously. I remember plenty of matches where I wasn't happy with penalties that he won for his team, or goals he scored following a shove in the back of a defender. Super slow motion VAR would have chalked plenty of his goals off.
I don't like diving, but I can't see how 90 minutes of body checking, shirt pulling, obstructing and time wasting isn't cheating yet falling over when somebody kicks you while making no effort to kick the ball makes you a pariah.
I'm with you. Going down when somebody kicks you is cheating, but asking for a corner when you know full well you kicked it off is absolutely fine. It's bizarre.