The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Completely agree. The Danes are big boys, know the dark arts as well as any team and employed them more than England last night.
10 minutes before the penalty, Sterling made a similar run into their box. As he passed the first defender, he was pushed in the back, into the second defender. Sterling's hand brushed the chin of the Dane, who went down holding his face and was treated for a couple of minutes as though he had a head injury. Time wasted and a free kick awarded to Denmark for an incident that started with Sterling being pushed in the back in their penalty area. This is just how tournament football goes.
I wasn't aware of any worldwide inquiry after contentious decisions were involved in England's exits from previous tournaments.

Really ? So there is never any talk of lampard goal not given or the hand of god ? ?‍♂️

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maguire is amazing at getting his head on corners but I was worried after that ridiculous booking he may get sent off. He did keep going for them and not much difference I could see from those challenges to the one that was deemed a yellow.

But hey - we only won because we cheated - that's right I think :unsure:
That yellow was ridiculous considering the defenders that were blatantly body checking and holding… I think we should just skip over that now, there are contentious points in all the games. This time we were not severely penalised by them, like we are normally.
Remember everyone hates the English, we have ruled the waves and generally instigated unhappiness where ever we have gone … and long May that continue God save the Queen!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He didn't even notice it - no change in his head position or focus. Stupid move by some stupid moron but had zero impact.
Exactly.. it’s just a load of twaddle .. he should have used a red laser .. incompetent muppet .. joking aside I hope they get that person and make an example of them

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We really should hang our heads in shame. No other country has fans who act in a similar way...

It doesn't make it right - but let's not self-flagellate so much or enjoy it so much!
Italian fans are pretty disgraceful in serie A there are stories of mopeds being thrown down on opposition fans, and having to take an umbrella because they like to have a wee from above.. watching football anywhere can be a nightmare and it attracts the muppets

D

Deleted member 16999

We really should hang our heads in shame. No other country has fans who act in a similar way...

It doesn't make it right - but let's not self-flagellate so much or enjoy it so much!
Looking forward to next season when the idiot elements from EVERY Club are highlighted on here.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But that's not how Harry Kane plays for Spurs and how he's made a career of scoring goals.

The game has moved on since old days of rigid formations. It's about fluidity and mobility. All the best strikers in the world do come deep (Aguero, Lewandowski, etc.). You stick Harry Kane in a rigid upfront only position, then that is meat and drink to defenders, let alone Chellini and Bonucci.
But most teams don’t have two holding midfielders.
Far to often we didn’t have anybody in the box.
Fine if the wide players do it
Sterling is the only one that does.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty much agree, only opposing thought is his style can lead to giving away possession when out of shape and inviting a breakaway attack. Perhaps was on GS mind.
I think we are in the territory of glass half full, cautious or more confident? If we were to follow the 'no fear' approach of England 1 day cricket for example then Grealish stays on and you tell him to do more of the same. Have faith that he, Foden and others will damage the opposition, don't worry what the opposition might do to you. That is not GS way though, he is cautious, he does worry about what the opposition might do. Ultimately, it is his job at stake so making free wheeling decisions are much tougher when you are the one in the firing line. I am sat on the settee shouting for Grealish to come on earlier and stay on but there are no consequences to my shouting (obviously Gareth should be listening to my shouting though :LOL:)

D

Deleted member 16999

I think we are in the territory of glass half full, cautious or more confident? If we were to follow the 'no fear' approach of England 1 day cricket for example then Grealish stays on and you tell him to do more of the same. Have faith that he, Foden and others will damage the opposition, don't worry what the opposition might do to you. That is not GS way though, he is cautious, he does worry about what the opposition might do. Ultimately, it is his job at stake so making free wheeling decisions are much tougher when you are the one in the firing line. I am sat on the settee shouting for Grealish to come on earlier and stay on but there are no consequences to my shouting (obviously Gareth should be listening to my shouting though :LOL:)
Tbf though, we could of gone for the third goal quite easily during the 15 minutes, instead we kept possession in the corners and restricted their chances, 2-1 behind and Grealish stays on.(y)

RichA

Visit site
On the occasions when the England cricket team's "*** it" approach backfires horribly, there are always plenty who complain about the lack of responsibility - even if the defeat is sandwiched between a handful of spectacular victories.
If Southgate decided to go full on Eoin Morgan he'd be sacked after the second defeat.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
But most teams don’t have two holding midfielders.
Far to often we didn’t have anybody in the box.
Fine if the wide players do it
Sterling is the only one that does.

The fact that we do play two holding midfielders means that having Kane stuck upfront is simply wrong. Thus him coming deep, he "fills the gap". Until Gareth tweaks his formation and puts Foden/Grealish/Other in the no 10 position and lose the second holding man, then we are stuck with what we have, and that mean Kane dropping. Also most other teams are sitting at home watching England. :cool:

Also if you look at our holding midfielders, across the games, the played a variety of holding positions. E.g. against Croatia, Phillips was further up and Rice behind.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tbf though, we could of gone for the third goal quite easily during the 15 minutes, instead we kept possession in the corners and restricted their chances, 2-1 behind and Grealish stays on.(y)
Minutes 15-26, or whatever they were, were pretty tense from memory, the midfield dropped onto the defence, the defence droped even deeper. We gave the initiative to the Danes the moment Grealish went off. The last few minutes were a superb example of how to kill the clock and hold possession. Don't run into a corner and stick your backside out, yes Shearer I am talking about you, pass and move, pass and move. Brilliant.

D

Deleted member 15344

Read it again. I'm saying that nobody outside of England probably gave more than a few seconds thought to those occasions, hence the use of the word "worldwide".

It’s the next day after the event - it’s raw and people will talk about it until the next event happens , that’s how it goes , it was certainly worldwide for Hand Of God and other events always get talked about the day after the event - in a couple of days it will be something else or whatever happens in the final - Denmark will prob talk about it for a while just like England talk about their injustices as they say - Germany Prob still go on about the 66 final and the ball crossing the line or not.
Did they do anything? No they let it ride so they will have to let this go as well .. they can only instigate preventative measure for the next tournaments ..

Who is “they” ? Preventive measures for what ?