The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't take Shearer too seriously. I remember plenty of matches where I wasn't happy with penalties that he won for his team, or goals he scored following a shove in the back of a defender. Super slow motion VAR would have chalked plenty of his goals off.
I don't like diving, but I can't see how 90 minutes of body checking, shirt pulling, obstructing and time wasting isn't cheating yet falling over when somebody kicks you while making no effort to kick the ball makes you a pariah.
Exactly this ^^^^^^
He was attacking & asking questions right on the limit & they were defending, cynically, right on the limit & they lost out... it's a simple as that!! I just hope the Officials are up to their job on Sunday.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly this ^^^^^^
He was attacking & asking questions right on the limit & they were defending, cynically, right on the limit & they lost out... it's a simple as that!! I just hope the Officials are up to their job on Sunday.
The whole game was marred by the blocking and holding, ankle biting.. it was waved away when actually it needed to be carded. A stricter ref would have delivered more cards, would asked the players to leave the pitch with their injuries etc.. To complain about a penalty is ridiculous when the player has been played and not the ball.
On Sunday we will see the 2 CBs push/hold and kick .. it’s their game. My view is drop off the defender and run at him. Do that all night and you beat him or gat free kicks just make sure when you go down you land on him etc.. Varrati will be ankle biting as well, it’s his job but the Spanish sorted him out .. follow their tactics.
England deserve to be in the final as do Italy .. opportunities were made and taken

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What kind of nation have we suddenly turned into.. where is this tribalism being unleashed from. In some ways you wish we never reached this stage …

I know everyone is going to say .. this does not represent the majority
https://apple.news/A4vS1r8K0T569UEOYKB7oag

.. and it is not just to the Danes, we have turned on our own (who don’t look like us).. from Twitter yesterday. As I understand, the FA has reached out to support
A41EAE68-2601-4579-834C-74CD81A8D8A4.jpeg

… and still we have a section of forumites who can’t understand why our players take the knee..

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
What kind of nation have we suddenly turned into.. where is this tribalism being unleashed from. In some ways you wish we never reached this stage …

.. and it is not just to the Danes, we have turned on our own (who don’t look like us).. from Twitter yesterday. As I understand, the FA has reached out to support
View attachment 37486

… and still we have a section of forumites who can’t understand why our players take the knee..

Do you want a larger brush to tar everyone with or is yours ok as it is?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

View attachment 37486

People like that sadly still exist, and they'll use any excuse for continuing that at every opportunity.

D

Deleted member 15344

View attachment 37486

Racism within all countries is always alive - a lot of good work within the uk has been done but a lot of recent events has seen it increase

9/11
Brexit

There are always elements within football -ever since the days of the hooligan element , that’s certainly not gone away and never will.

Right now the media are massively pushing the patriotism because of how well the football team are doing - demands for bank holidays etc and it gives that certain element excuses to displays their “Three Lions” - most will prob be part of the EDL and be following right behind the likes of Robinson and Farage -

These things will never stop - social media is worse , you only have to see what people were posting towards that little german girl crying

We didn’t have any of this when England won the Rugby World Cup or Cricket World Cup or when we do well in the Olympics etc

But football - well at times it breeds a different element , and it’s shame as it spoils it for the rest. It wouldn’t surprise me that on the biggest stage in football for England in years the fans will first boo the Italian national anthem - for some they dismiss it but it breeds hatred

RichA

Visit site
I used to watch football in pubs regularly.
I watched the Germans beat us on penalties in the Italia 90 semi-final in a pub in Rugby. It was followed by grown men in tears drunkenly hugging each other and commiserating.
I watched the Germans beat us on penalties in the Euro 96 semi-final in a pub in Mansfield. It was followed by grown men throwing glasses, bottles, chairs, punches and kicks at each other.
I don't understand what changed or when, but I haven't watched football in a pub since.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watching the sterling penalty incident again I think the ref has given it because the defender makes the challenge then pulls his foot away in that guilty manner.
The ref is well places although cant really tell his much if any contact due to it being on the bye line. There has to be an element of guesswork.
Had the defender had his nibble and left his foot planted on the floor. Raheem's over exuberant fall could and should have been waved away.
The opportunity was there to go VAR and have a proper look. This should have been done.
Alan Shearer has it right when he says you would not be happy to have that given against you and I feel the same way.

But they did? Contact was made, how light, thus VAR didn't overrule.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Racism within all countries is always alive - a lot of good work within the uk has been done but a lot of recent events has seen it increase

9/11
Brexit

There are always elements within football -ever since the days of the hooligan element , that’s certainly not gone away and never will.

Right now the media are massively pushing the patriotism because of how well the football team are doing - demands for bank holidays etc and it gives that certain element excuses to displays their “Three Lions” - most will prob be part of the EDL and be following right behind the likes of Robinson and Farage -

These things will never stop - social media is worse , you only have to see what people were posting towards that little german girl crying

We didn’t have any of this when England won the Rugby World Cup or Cricket World Cup or when we do well in the Olympics etc

But football - well at times it breeds a different element , and it’s shame as it spoils it for the rest. It wouldn’t surprise me that on the biggest stage in football for England in years the fans will first boo the Italian national anthem - for some they dismiss it but it breeds hatred

Agree with what you say... The queen and the Prime minister claim German, Turkish roots. The only non-controversial and effective minister is of Indian descent (apparently he supports India in cricket). The NHS would be lost without the global talent pool

Closer home, those cheering the team.. and we all should.. here is a thought..

1625820735121.png

D

Deleted member 16999

I used to watch football in pubs regularly.
I watched the Germans beat us on penalties in the Italia 90 semi-final in a pub in Rugby. It was followed by grown men in tears drunkenly hugging each other and commiserating.
I watched the Germans beat us on penalties in the Euro 96 semi-final in a pub in Mansfield. It was followed by grown men throwing glasses, bottles, chairs, punches and kicks at each other.
I don't understand what changed or when, but I haven't watched football in a pub since.
I was serving in Germany when we lost in 1990 and suffered German Fans driving around the married quarters celebrating beating us, which wasn’t a problem until the beer bottles started getting thrown at the houses and the abuse started.

Now I’m sure some will blame that on the hooligan behaviour of the English in the late 80’s or we were seen as “unwelcome visitors” etc, but it wasn’t it was simply, imo, a few mindless morons(probably drunk) looking for trouble.

Every Nation has them sadly.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 37486

and still we have a section of forumites who can’t understand why our players take the knee..
nor do they seem to understand how such an attitude is a contributory factor to this whole problem....... why isn't Prince William taking a lead by joining in taking the knee??

D

Deleted member 16999

The ref should have taken a look to confirm what he thinks he has seen.
He is the man with the whistle. It should be his responsibility and call.
That’s not how VAR works, if VAR don’t disagree with the onfield decision then the initial decision stands.
The Ref made a call and VAR agreed.
Why would he question his own decision when it was backed up?

What you’re suggesting is bin VAR and let the Ref’s check themselves.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s the thing I wasn’t sure about - the only other time I can remember when the ref went to the screen was for the same sort of penalty shoot - he was asked to go to screen , and overruled his initial decision- I think he should have gone to the screen so that he could confirm or overule

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To @Liverpoolphil's point.. we dont see this level of madness while cheering a Mo Frah, Jessica Ennis, Andy Murray, Cricket or Rugby wins. What is it about the so called beautiful game that brings out the tribal instinct. It is not just at a national level but also in grassroots. Every so often my kid's runs into a team wherein parents & coaches shout 'take him out' to their kids. A perfectly valid move in Rugby but not allowed in footy.

This simply cant be a 'class' issue nor is it a 'passion' issue .. we are all passionate about our sports and we want to win..

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
VAR obviously agreed with what the ref had seen so no need to go look. VAR is there for clear & obvious errors, or so they keep telling us.