The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Almanac prediction based on astrology for the final:

"On July 11, the day of the finals, Mercury enters Cancer which means that emotions are likely to be heightened and clear communication could present a challenge."

Southgate is a Virgo which means he is calm and collected. 15 love England.

But Italians play with great passion. 15 all.

England always break your heart. 15 - 30.

But home fans will be awesome. 30 all.

Italy have had an extra rest day. 30 - 40.

But England have the faster players. 40 all.

England will stay calmer under pressure.
Game, set and match England.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
By what is being inferred on here by yourself and others, who are these people not on here you and others are talking about? Are they a majority or minority.

It’s coming across as if you support England you should be ashamed.

Bad Club behaviour, not by you, has been dismissed as a “few divvies” etc on here in the past.

Does it matter if its 51% vs 49% for it to fit nicely with you?

If 10% is 9'000 people on Sunday fighting, booing national anthems, shining lasers, laughing at young children in arms, picking on Asians wearing England tops. If every town and city centre sees Italian cars damaged, restaurants bricked, fighting with the local police and each other but its only done by 12.658254455 % then okay?

Its like the you can't say Salah is a diver because your own club has one argument - yes you bloody well can. Just because the Welsh booed our anthem, I think 900 years of oppression or perceived opression may be slightly understandable. Do the welsh boo others, doubt it. Do England cricket and rugby fans boo others? Not that I know of.

What do you honestly think is the typical view of European fans of the following:-

Scottish fans - possibly drink more than most but a friendly lot in the main, very passionate, very loud, leave too many empties around?

Irish - as above, but clean up the empties.

Wales - not as big in numbers, harder to gauge.

England - ***** left empty *****************

go on fill this one in, without using the phrase "The English disease"

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What kind of nation have we suddenly turned into.. where is this tribalism being unleashed from. In some ways you wish we never reached this stage …

I know everyone is going to say .. this does not represent the majority
https://apple.news/A4vS1r8K0T569UEOYKB7oag

.. and it is not just to the Danes, we have turned on our own (who don’t look like us).. from Twitter yesterday. As I understand, the FA has reached out to support
View attachment 37486

… and still we have a section of forumites who can’t understand why our players take the knee..
The sort of England that had my English Mrs sad that she could not take as much pride from England’s win as she would have done just a few short years ago. That’s just how she felt and it is indeed very sad.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

If 10% is 9'000 people on Sunday fighting, booing national anthems, shining lasers, laughing at young children in arms, picking on Asians wearing England tops. If every town and city centre sees Italian cars damaged, restaurants bricked, fighting with the local police and each other but its only done by 12.658254455 % then okay?

Its like the you can't say Salah is a diver because your own club has one argument - yes you bloody well can. Just because the Welsh booed our anthem, I think 900 years of oppression or perceived opression may be slightly understandable. Do the welsh boo others, doubt it. Do England cricket and rugby fans boo others? Not that I know of.

What do you honestly think is the typical view of European fans of the following:-

Scottish fans - possibly drink more than most but a friendly lot in the main, very passionate, very loud, leave too many empties around?

Temporary self-ban lifted for the next few days only (I think ;-) )

Pretty much agree with everything you've posted Ped. At the start of this tournament I was pretty disinterested TBF. Then I noticed how much my kids were invested in it. I briefly considered taking them to the Pub to watch the games, thinking back to the atmosphere when watching the '90 SF in the Crawford Arms. Or the '96 SF in The Wheatsheaf. How much passion and enthusiasm I had for the game. Then I remembered all the aggro from later tournaments. The glasses smashing, the chairs being thrown. Windows being put through. The vile language and abuse.

Why would I subject my kids to that? Why would I remove that optimism and enthusiasm they currently have for the England Team by subjecting them to the relatively small but vocal and obnoxious minority of "England fans".

So, we watched the games at home, with snacks and drinks. We celebrated with neighbours. We ignored the Police sirens as they blazed past after 10pm. And in all honesty, I've loved it again. It feels great to be able to support a team of players that in the main seem decent. A manager that clearly thinks before opening his mouth.

I still have to explain why "England fans" boo the opposition National Anthem, or when the players take the knee (full support in my house). But life feels better without subjecting ourselves to that minority of people.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Pretty much agree with everything you've posted Ped. At the start of this tournament I was pretty disinterested TBF. Then I noticed how much my kids were invested in it. I briefly considered taking them to the Pub to watch the games, thinking back to the atmosphere when watching the '90 SF in the Crawford Arms. Or the '96 SF in The Wheatsheaf. How much passion and enthusiasm I had for the game. Then I remembered all the aggro from later tournaments. The glasses smashing, the chairs being thrown. Windows being put through. The vile language and abuse.

Why would I subject my kids to that? Why would I remove that optimism and enthusiasm they currently have for the England Team by subjecting them to the relatively small but vocal and obnoxious minority of "England fans".

So, we watched the games at home, with snacks and drinks. We celebrated with neighbours. We ignored the Police sirens as they blazed past after 10pm. And in all honesty, I've loved it again. It feels great to be able to support a team of players that in the main seem decent. A manager that clearly thinks before opening his mouth.

I still have to explain why "England fans" boo the opposition National Anthem, or when the players take the knee (full support in my house). But life feels better without subjecting ourselves to that minority of people.

Make it a bit (lot) longer please, this place misses your input. (y)

D

Deleted member 15344

Welcome back ?

Very much missed

Hope you’re well and your input is very much needed currently

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In fairness I haven't watched a single game in what you'd call a 'pub' - mostly down to Covid regs, and difficulty of securing a table. But I've still watched every game with friends, whether it be at my golf club, at my football club, or one game at a local Indian restaurant/bar that had the game on outside. And it's been brilliant. No trouble from anyone just friends and a few other like-minded people coming together to support the team. And that's the biggest thing I love about the international tournaments - everyone you're watching it with is supporting the same team.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s boring!! You’re preaching to the converted, but when our own Government won’t condemn fans booing the England players taking the knee, what do you expect.

Do we condemn all Lpool fans for booing God Save The Queen, do we condemn all Lpool fans for the bad behaviour in Madrid or the City coach etc, has that behaviour not soured your opinion of Club Football to level it has at National Level.

Well guess what, England have some scum bag followers who should be locked up for life, but if you think I’m going to moan and whine about a problem that won’t be addressed before sunday you’re very much mistaken.

I’m not going to let some mindless morons takeaway the pride and enjoyment of England reaching a final.

Let there be an investigation, whatever, after Sunday, but right now I’m concentrating on the match.???????

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheers mate. I do miss the place sometimes, but then I go and play golf and the feeling evaporates :)

I believe you and Birchy may well have played an Open with some members at my place recently ?

D

Deleted member 29109

If people think England fans are bad. Go to a game in Italy, Turkey, Russia or South America.

Some England fans boo the opposition national anthem and like to throw plastic chairs at each other.
But, there are fans in the countries above who are a bit stabby and like to drop mopeds on opposition fans.

Most major footballing nations have their share of idiots and hooligans. Even some of the minor nations like Scotland do. So, let's not pretend its just the English.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe you and Birchy may well have played an Open with some members at my place recently ?
We did yes. At Ashton Under Lyne. Lovely little gem of a course that was set up very difficult on the day. Your mates struggled a bit, but they let us through quite early. Very nice guys actually..
Funny part is - We were chatting on the 4th tee (a 210yd par 3 that snarled up the early groups) and one of them mentioned being a member at Leighton Buzzard. All I said was that we knew someone who played there and they immediately guessed that it was you :LOL:. Your fame is spreading mate!

Say hello to them for me will you. They witnessed one of my only decent shots of the day. A lovely flighted 5 iron onto an upturned bowl green from 180 yards. Drained the 20 footer for the birdie as well as they were watching :cool:

D

Deleted member 15344

We did yes. At Ashton Under Lyne. Lovely little gem of a course that was set up very difficult on the day. Your mates struggled a bit, but they let us through quite early. Very nice guys actually..
Funny part is - We were chatting on the 4th tee (a 210yd par 3 that snarled up the early groups) and one of them mentioned being a member at Leighton Buzzard. All I said was that we knew someone who played there and they immediately guessed that it was you :LOL:. Your fame is spreading mate!

Say hello to them for me will you. They witnessed one of my only decent shots of the day. A lovely flighted 5 iron onto an upturned bowl green from 180 yards. Drained the 20 footer for the birdie as well as they were watching :cool:

?? well I wasn’t sure as they said a tall guy who could hit a lovely ball , I first thought @Captainron but then had to laugh ?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Funny part is - We were chatting on the 4th tee (a 210yd par 3 that snarled up the early groups) and one of them mentioned being a member at Leighton Buzzard. All I said was that we knew someone who played there and they immediately guessed that it was you:LOL:. Your fame is spreading mate!

You probably said played slowly there and that gave it away... :whistle::D

D

Deleted member 15344

If people think England fans are bad. Go to a game in Italy, Turkey, Russia or South America.

Some England fans boo the opposition national anthem and like to throw plastic chairs at each other.
But, there are fans in the countries above who are a bit stabby and like to drop mopeds on opposition fans.

Most major footballing nations have their share of idiots and hooligans. Even some of the minor nations like Scotland do. So, let's not pretend its just the English.

Whataboutary at its best

No one has suggested other countries don’t have issues but that doesn’t excuse antics by fans within this country who have embarrassed the country on multiple occasions.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
?? well I wasn’t sure as they said a tall guy who could hit a lovely ball , I first thought @Captainron but then had to laugh ?
I don't recognise that description either :cool:

However, I am having my first half decent season in a while this year. May even get my handicap back to where it should be!

Blue in Munich

Visit site

I don't care what other fans do to their reputation; I am bothered about what the English fans do to ours because as a match going fan I'm tarred with the same brush.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whataboutary at its best

No one has suggested other countries don’t have issues but that doesn’t excuse antics by fans within this country who have embarrassed the country on multiple occasions.
NOBODY IS EXCUSING THEM!!:mad:

ARE YOU STILL NO LONGER SUPPORTING ENGLAND TAKING A KNEE?

Hypocrisy at its finest!