The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29109

Whataboutary at its best

No one has suggested other countries don’t have issues but that doesn’t excuse antics by fans within this country who have embarrassed the country on multiple occasions.

No whataboutery at all. But the way some people are going on about the behaviour of a tiny minority of people is verging on the hysterical.

It's like they can't now complain about England losing, and they can't be positive about us winning. So, they need to find something else to project their negativity onto.

D

Deleted member 15344

No whataboutery at all. But the way some people are going on about the behaviour of a tiny minority of people is verging on the hysterical.

It's like they can't now complain about England losing, and they can't be positive about us winning. So, they need to find something else to project their negativity onto.

Of course it’s whataboutary- pointing fingers at others is nothing but whataboutary

This is about England fans and their behaviour both in the stadiums , outside stadiums and on social media

It certainly wasn’t a “tiny minority” booing the national anthem ?

There seems to at times a lack of accountability and people ignoring a problem because the team are winning ,

It just looks like looking for excuses and reasons to ignore what’s going on with “tiny minority” - or “ well it’s not me so I’m not bothered”

Right now the football world look at England fans with disdain because of the way they act both in losing and winning - it’s been a stain on the country and indeed clubs for a long time now and things don’t change.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I guess if you support a team based on what they've won, and not based on where you or your family are from.... wanting your own national team to lose isn't so barmy to you. But to the rest of the planet, it isn't comprehendible at all. :ROFLMAO:

There are other issues responsible, but we've been asked to not to air them on the forum.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Temporary self-ban lifted for the next few days only (I think ;-) )

Pretty much agree with everything you've posted Ped. At the start of this tournament I was pretty disinterested TBF. Then I noticed how much my kids were invested in it. I briefly considered taking them to the Pub to watch the games, thinking back to the atmosphere when watching the '90 SF in the Crawford Arms. Or the '96 SF in The Wheatsheaf. How much passion and enthusiasm I had for the game. Then I remembered all the aggro from later tournaments. The glasses smashing, the chairs being thrown. Windows being put through. The vile language and abuse.

Why would I subject my kids to that? Why would I remove that optimism and enthusiasm they currently have for the England Team by subjecting them to the relatively small but vocal and obnoxious minority of "England fans".

So, we watched the games at home, with snacks and drinks. We celebrated with neighbours. We ignored the Police sirens as they blazed past after 10pm. And in all honesty, I've loved it again. It feels great to be able to support a team of players that in the main seem decent. A manager that clearly thinks before opening his mouth.

I still have to explain why "England fans" boo the opposition National Anthem, or when the players take the knee (full support in my house). But life feels better without subjecting ourselves to that minority of people.

Oh God, I've let loose the Kraken, who has it's hand down Pandora's front bottom, to boot.

Forum, I apologise unreservedly. :D:D:D

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Prayers for an English supporters:

Our father, who art in Wembley.
Southgate be thy name, the cup will be done,
Kane’s work will be done,
In Wembley as it is at Tottenham,
Take us this day our daily penalty,
And forgive Sterling’s off side trespasses,
As we forgive those who bet against us,
And lead us not into under achievement,
But deliver us the title,
For football is coming home,
The history and the glory,
Forever and ever,
Our-men

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Tiny minority, yeah right.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I guess if you support a team based on what they've won, and not based on where you or your family are from.... wanting your own national team to lose isn't so barmy to you. But to the rest of the planet, it isn't comprehendible at all. :ROFLMAO:

There are other issues responsible, but we've been asked to not to air them on the forum.

Where has anyone said they want the national team to lose?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s boring!! You’re preaching to the converted, but when our own Government won’t condemn fans booing the England players taking the knee, what do you expect.

Do we condemn all Lpool fans for booing God Save The Queen, do we condemn all Lpool fans for the bad behaviour in Madrid or the City coach etc, has that behaviour not soured your opinion of Club Football to level it has at National Level.

Well guess what, England have some scum bag followers who should be locked up for life, but if you think I’m going to moan and whine about a problem that won’t be addressed before sunday you’re very much mistaken.

I’m not going to let some mindless morons takeaway the pride and enjoyment of England reaching a final.

Let there be an investigation, whatever, after Sunday, but right now I’m concentrating on the match.???????

As boring as you saying you always support other English teams in Europe, every CL/Europe week, every night of that week........thats boring. maybe get a T shirt with it printed on and in your moniker.

Yes, Liverpool fans have been rightly condemned for certain things as has City, Chelsea, United etc..... on here. When we bricked man city's bus I was one of the first to condemn it, BUT I feel like (just like lots of other club fans) that there are also lots of good things about my own teams support.

England fandom is different, I found most of the "fan culture" abhorrent. You dont, thats fine.

Have you been "proud" of England's support over the last 50 years?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh God, I've let loose the Kraken, who has it's hand down Pandora's front bottom, to boot.

Forum, I apologise unreservedly. :D:D:D
Nah mate. I'm a changed man now. In my self-enforced absence from the Forum, I've perfected the art of Zen. I'm now immune from all forms of provocation. I rise above petty squabbles. I inhale negativity and exhale only peace and love to all...

Until I see Birchy's handicap........................ :devilish:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many millions will watch the game on Sunday and 'support' England? Then compare that with the number who will inevitably, during and afterwards, behave in an antisocial manner - pretty certain it will be a minority :unsure:

It will be a minority, thats obvious, but as I said just because its a minority doesnt mean that its ok. It is also a minority into the thousands or even tens of thousands around the country.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I travelled to Germany for Euros 1988. I experienced a lot of terrifying moments where I literally feared for my life - not at the hands of England fans.

Football hooliganism is a cancer and it is horrendous. First time I went to a Premiership Rugby match I was shocked, and not a little scared, to find myself in amongst a mixture of home and away fans. I was shocked again to find how it worked and there was lots of banter - just banter though.

I'm not prepared to keep reading here how horrendous our fans are (the minority - and IT IS THE MINORITY) without some bloody balance about hooliganism that taints the sport throughout the world.

Right - come on England...beat the Italians...win the trophy...oh how very xenophobic of me (with my George Cross flag fluttering in the breeze)!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh, and whilst I'm in the mood. It's ok for a country to boo our anthem because of history. Really?! Come on - that then justifies our fans booing Germany's anthem for just one. Best not go there if that is acceptable behaviour due to previous misdemeanours by another nation.

D

Deleted member 16999

As boring as you saying you always support other English teams in Europe, every CL/Europe week, every night of that week........thats boring. maybe get a T shirt with it printed on and in your moniker.

Yes, Liverpool fans have been rightly condemned for certain things as has City, Chelsea, United etc..... on here. When we bricked man city's bus I was one of the first to condemn it, BUT I feel like (just like lots of other club fans) that there are also lots of good things about my own teams support.

England fandom is different, I found most of the "fan culture" abhorrent. You dont, thats fine.

Have you been "proud" of England's support over the last 50 years?
It’s every England match, it’s every Tournament, how sad some people want to see their National Team fail because of the behaviour of a minority, there are lots of good things about England’s support, you just don’t want to see it!

Have I been proud of England’s support over the last 50 years? Yes, absolutely, I have also at times been deeply embarrassed, neither are exclusive!

Also been embarrassed by the behaviour of Everton’s fans at times, but still in all instances the bad behaviour has been at the hands utter scum! A tiny minority.

Last edited by a moderator: