The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
First chance I've had to reply to this thread.
After watching a brilliant performance from England on Wednesday evening I was amazed with all the negative comments! It was as if England were beaten 5-0!
I'm sure some on here want England to fail just so they can moan for the next month or so.
I thought Denmark coach got his tactics completely wrong. He took off the two most dangerous players in the 2nd half leaving his side with virtually no threat.
Gareth Southgate called it just right by taking off Grealish and replace him with Trippier to shore up the defence more.
The way England managed the game in the last 10minutes was great tactics.
And finally, the penalty. If the Ref and studio ref, Peter Walton, said it was a pen and then VAR agreeing, was good enough for me. Somebody earlier put up a clip that showed quite clearly that Jensen pushed into Sterling causing him to go down.
I listened to Andros Townshend on Talk Sport this morning who said it was a definite pen. Also saying that a player running at pace only needs a nudge to go over. That's also good enough for me.
Good luck to the boys on Sunday! ???????????????????????????????????.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I cannot imagine there will be much booing of national anthems on Sunday night. It seems Wembley will be full of wanna be celebs at the expense of real fans. And it’s not the done thing to be seen booing.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh, and whilst I'm in the mood. It's ok for a country to boo our anthem because of history. Really?! Come on - that then justifies our fans booing Germany's anthem for just one. Best not go there if that is acceptable behaviour due to previous misdemeanours by another nation.

England boo everyones, a consistent lack of class and sportsmanship, I'll give you that.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s every England match, it’s every Tournament, how sad some people want to see their National Team fail because of the behaviour of a minority, there are lots of good things about England’s support, you just don’t want to see it!

Have I been proud of England’s support over the last 50 years? Yes, absolutely, I have also at times been deeply embarrassed, neither are exclusive!

Also been embarrassed by the behaviour of Everton’s fans at times, but still in all instances the bad behaviour has been at the hands utter scum! A tiny minority.

1. Who has said they want to see them get beat?

2. What are you proud about?

3. Do you think that over the last 50 years, England support has brought more positives rather than negatives by the international community?

D

Deleted member 16999

1. Who has said they want to see them get beat?

2. What are you proud about?

3. Do you think that over the last 50 years, England support has brought more positives rather than negatives by the international community?
Final response through courtesy as I’d much rather talk about the team and actual football.

1. A few including yourself telling us how you have no interest and saying how we’ve cheated our way to the final comes across as they’d be content to see us lose the final, imo.

2. I’m proud of the vast majority if fans who have travelled the World behaving impeccably.

3. 50 years!! So back to the early 70’s, so therefore covering the worst of times were England Fans are concerned, 50yrs - More negatives, 40yrs - More negatives 30yrs More negatives, 20yrs - fair split imo, 10yrs - More positives.

Every negative is highlighted, eg. the little German Girl, disgraceful treatment and way more press coverage than the £40K raised for her by genuine fans.

Win or lose on sunday there will be trouble around the Country, fuelled by drink. If you know the answer as to why and how we fix it, I’d love to now, but for now, I hope we win and I’m looking forward to the game.???????

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not so much the English fans as the English imo.
Have a look around the country any weekend and there is a minority of bad behaviour.
The main problem is alcohol.
Football just gives them an excuse to congregate.
But we’re not the only ones all country’s have them.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
In an attempt to balance the books after what I’ve read in the last few pages, I see that Hungary have been sanctioned by UEFA for racist abuse and homophobic banners during their Euro 2020 games.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
A bit late to the party, but England deserved to beat Denmark, the Danes had nothing in the tank after an hour, never a penalty for me but England where knocking on the door and I think would of scored regardless.
Italy a class above, but England won’t have a better chance than this, only change I’d make is Sancho in for Saka, just personal opinion!!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Final response through courtesy as I’d much rather talk about the team and actual football.

1. A few including yourself telling us how you have no interest and saying how we’ve cheated our way to the final comes across as they’d be content to see us lose the final, imo.

2. I’m proud of the vast majority if fans who have travelled the World behaving impeccably.

3. 50 years!! So back to the early 70’s, so therefore covering the worst of times were England Fans are concerned, 50yrs - More negatives, 40yrs - More negatives 30yrs More negatives, 20yrs - fair split imo, 10yrs - More positives.

Every negative is highlighted, eg. the little German Girl, disgraceful treatment and way more press coverage than the £40K raised for her by genuine fans.

Win or lose on sunday there will be trouble around the Country, fuelled by drink. If you know the answer as to why and how we fix it, I’d love to now, but for now, I hope we win and I’m looking forward to the game.???????

"Comes across", well we know how you like to twist and invent things, so you havent proved that some said they want to see us get beat.

The majority I would say, so when you see hundreds fighting aand over many days, not sporadic incidents, well done, you have behaved. Nothing else to be proud about, just that they have travelled the world? No great fan culture like the colour that the brazilians bring, the carnival feel of many of the African nations fans, the good natured spirit of the Irish.....no they have just "travelled" and behaved.

The battle of Marseille (you can use the original, or the latter one, its your choice), the riot in Dublin, Euro 88 was murder every day and every day either side of it, the German world cup and I'm sure that a certain woods in Poland has many stories to tell. Every single tournament, often every 2 years - name me one tournament (outside of Euro 96, which was on home soil), where there hasnt been a massive outbreak of violence?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In an attempt to balance the books after what I’ve read in the last few pages, I see that Hungary have been sanctioned by UEFA for racist abuse and homophobic banners during their Euro 2020 games.

What book does that balance? No-one is saying that other fans dont do horrible things, just that England fans seem to have the whole gamut of horrible things, rather than just a few and 50 years of doing it, as well.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
What book does that balance? No-one is saying that other fans dont do horrible things, just that England fans seem to have the whole gamut of horrible things, rather than just a few and 50 years of doing it, as well.
Your anti England rants are getting rather boring now.

Every club have idiots that follow them,these idiots also follow the national team.
So guess what?……lots of idiots ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 16999

"Comes across", well we know how you like to twist and invent things, so you havent proved that some said they want to see us get beat.

The majority I would say, so when you see hundreds fighting aand over many days, not sporadic incidents, well done, you have behaved. Nothing else to be proud about, just that they have travelled the world? No great fan culture like the colour that the brazilians bring, the carnival feel of many of the African nations fans, the good natured spirit of the Irish.....no they have just "travelled" and behaved.

The battle of Marseille (you can use the original, or the latter one, its your choice), the riot in Dublin, Euro 88 was murder every day and every day either side of it, the German world cup and I'm sure that a certain woods in Poland has many stories to tell. Every single tournament, often every 2 years - name me one tournament (outside of Euro 96, which was on home soil), where there hasnt been a massive outbreak of violence?
Have you ever thought about discussing the actual games on this thread?

Breaking News: England have a minority of scum fans that travel the world causing chaos:

In Other News: The good behaviour of the majority is ignored.

Tell us Pete, as you’re not actually bothered about the game. Do you want England to win or are you still “torn” ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you ever thought about discussing the actual games on this thread?

Breaking News: England have a minority of scum fans that travel the world causing chaos:

In Other News: The good behaviour of the majority is ignored.

Tell us Pete, as you’re not actually bothered about the game. Do you want England to win or are you still “torn” ?

This will be my last (or 2nd to last post) on this subject for now.

Generally, why dont you try answering the questions asked rather than moving the goalposts all the time, is it due to a paucity of argument, perhaps? I havent watched every minute of England games, partially playing Freecell on the lap-top at the same time, except for the last 30 minutes of the Denmark game, and the same for most of the tournament, so havent wished to converse on a lot of the footy side, as havent watched it "intently".

I was torn, as wanted Scotland and England to get through, as a very likable bunch are our Scottish cousins, in the main.

I do want England to win for the many fans who are decent, and am part English/majority Scouse, although the triumphalism will be a tad annoying, I'm sure, but it'll pass over the decades, I'm sure.

If Pickford / Walker / Stones / Henderson / Kane make a mistake and it costs them, that player will automatically have my sympathy, I fear not from everyone, though.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

I was just giving some attention to the misdemeanours of other countries amidst this current wave of England criticism. Nothing more, nothing less.

And for the record, I agree with what you say about England fans over the course of history.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The interesting part about this is the statement from uefa saying Hungary will have to display a banner, the content of which is against the law in Hungary. How's that gonna work?!