The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s not how VAR works, if VAR don’t disagree with the onfield decision then the initial decision stands.
The Ref made a call and VAR agreed.
Why would he question his own decision when it was backed up?

What you’re suggesting is bin VAR and let the Ref’s check themselves.

I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of VAR as I cant keep up but it doesnt take a genius or football expert to know that the decision was a marginal call at best and worthy of closer inspection by the man in charge.

It's easy for VAR to sit back and agree with an on field decision as there is no accountability.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to watch football in pubs regularly.
I watched the Germans beat us on penalties in the Italia 90 semi-final in a pub in Rugby. It was followed by grown men in tears drunkenly hugging each other and commiserating.
I watched the Germans beat us on penalties in the Euro 96 semi-final in a pub in Mansfield. It was followed by grown men throwing glasses, bottles, chairs, punches and kicks at each other.
I don't understand what changed or when, but I haven't watched football in a pub since.

Same here, and was properly cheering England on.

I just can't get up for this tournament, when Kane scored the other night I barely raised a flicker.

Maybe it's Brexit, politics and the whole "London FC" has worn me down, maybe its age, but more likely a general dislike of England FOOTBALL team's general match-going and armchair fan base. I dont care if some says its just a few morons - it never has been, its always been thousands or tens of thousands of armchair (or plastic chair) fans. The constant blaming of other players when things go wrong because they play for man U (when at its worst - beckham, Phil Neville, Rooney), Liverpool, etc. Booing of all national anthems, NO Surrender, 10 x German Bombers, and the racist element for decades. Mobs fighting amongst themselves as well as with the locals and other fans when abroad in tournament after tournament, not England fans, but Doncaster England, Stoke England.

The actual manager and players are probably the most likeable ever and show a better degree of humility than I can remember, but cheering the team on just isn't there for me. It's something I can't manufacture. I even played golf on Wednesday night, just missed the first 20-30 minutes, wasn't bothered. Maybe a few beers in hand and watching it with a few others may change it on Sunday, don't know.

Maybe a fine Tuscan Red and "scenes from an Italian restaurant" on the CD player instead? ;)

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of VAR as I cant keep up but it doesnt take a genius or football expert to know that the decision was a marginal call at best and worthy of closer inspection by the man in charge.

It's easy for VAR to sit back and agree with an on field decision as there is no accountability.
What if, just for one minute, we suppose the very experienced International Referee, officiating at one of the biggest tournaments in the world, made a decision that he believed was 100% correct.

To him it was stonewall, confirmed by VAR, yet we doubt his intelligence and everyone who agreed with him.?‍♂️

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I saw a gentle touch to the back with a forearm and a gentle bump with the hip whilst raising the arms high.
If he had made neither of these unnecessary contacts then VAR could have overruled, in my opinion.
Sterling would have felt both contacts and known there was a penalty chance.

I saw a player with no chance of getting near the ball launch his head into McGuire's arm. I hope McGuire's arm is OK.
I wonder if any England player will copy this tactic of getting an opponent booked.
Bit risky, but worth taking one to the head for the team?

Modern football - it does confuse me at times.

D

Deleted member 15344

Unfortunately you are not allowed to debate if the referee got it wrong anymore ( especially when it’s in their favour ) despite evidence over the last 24 months that even with VAR referees are still getting decisions wrong - the yellow card for Maguire was embarrassing

I just can't get up for this tournament, when Kane scored the other night I barely raised a flicker.

Maybe it's Brexit, politics and the whole "London FC" has worn me down, maybe its age, but more likely a general dislike of England FOOTBALL team's general match-going and armchair fan base. I dont care if some says its just a few morons - it never has been, its always been thousands or tens of thousands of armchair (or plastic chair) fans. The constant blaming of other players when things go wrong because they play for man U (when at its worst - beckham, Phil Neville, Rooney), Liverpool, etc. Booing of all national anthems, NO Surrender, 10 x German Bombers, and the racist element for decades. Mobs fighting amongst themselves as well as with the locals and other fans when abroad in tournament after tournament, not England fans, but Doncaster England, Stoke England.

The actual manager and players are probably the most likeable ever and show a better degree of humility than I can remember, but cheering the team on just isn't there for me. It's something I can't manufacture. I even played golf on Wednesday night, just missed the first 20-30 minutes, wasn't bothered. Maybe a few beers in hand and watching it with a few others may change it on Sunday, don't know.

Maybe a fine Tuscan Red and "scenes from an Italian restaurant" on the CD player instead? ;)

Summed up very well ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

You're not alone Pete. The perceived entitlement to act like complete halfwits, and slag off anyone who doesn't see that as acceptable, because "it's Ing-ger-lund", spoils the enjoyment for a number of people.

A nice Islay rather than the red but a good musical choice. (y)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Racism within all countries is always alive - a lot of good work within the uk has been done but a lot of recent events has seen it increase

9/11
Brexit

There are always elements within football -ever since the days of the hooligan element , that’s certainly not gone away and never will.

Right now the media are massively pushing the patriotism because of how well the football team are doing - demands for bank holidays etc and it gives that certain element excuses to displays their “Three Lions” - most will prob be part of the EDL and be following right behind the likes of Robinson and Farage -

These things will never stop - social media is worse , you only have to see what people were posting towards that little german girl crying

We didn’t have any of this when England won the Rugby World Cup or Cricket World Cup or when we do well in the Olympics etc

But football - well at times it breeds a different element , and it’s shame as it spoils it for the rest. It wouldn’t surprise me that on the biggest stage in football for England in years the fans will first boo the Italian national anthem - for some they dismiss it but it breeds hatred
It boils down to a lack of education… just round them up and send them to school, they avoided it the first time but no second chances .. or just follow the Chinese methods

D

Deleted member 16999

You're not alone Pete. The perceived entitlement to act like complete halfwits, and slag off anyone who doesn't see that as acceptable, because "it's Ing-ger-lund", spoils the enjoyment for a number of people.

A nice Islay rather than the red but a good musical choice. (y)
Can you show were anyone on here as said the behaviour you describe is acceptable?

Weird how the fans in a Club base are excused as not representative when they behave the same way.

The scum will always be scum and every Club and Nation has them.

We accept the game has changed and it isn’t changing back the other way.

I can’t wait for the Final, win or lose, dodgy decision or not.

If that makes me somehow a lesser person than others on here, then I happy to carry on as I am.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Can you show were anyone on here as said the behaviour you describe is acceptable?

Weird how the fans in a Club base are excused as not representative when they behave the same way.

The scum will always be scum and every Club and Nation has them.

We accept the game has changed and it isn’t changing back the other way.

I can’t wait for the Final, win or lose, dodgy decision or not.

If that makes me somehow a lesser person than others on here, then I happy to carry on as I am.

Can you show me where I said anyone on here described it as acceptable?

Or where I excused it as acceptable behaviour when practised by club supporters?

I merely supported Liverbirdie's view on what dampens people's enthusiasm over the tournament.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Agree with you. Southgate has been the best manager we have had in a very long time. He may wear a waistcoat, but what a transformation he has done. The team (not lads) he has put together is also brilliant.. Long may it come home..

D

Deleted member 16999

Can you show me where I said anyone on here described it as acceptable?

Or where I excused it as acceptable behaviour when practised by club supporters?

I merely supported Liverbirdie's view on what dampens people's enthusiasm over the tournament.
By what is being inferred on here by yourself and others, who are these people not on here you and others are talking about? Are they a majority or minority.

It’s coming across as if you support England you should be ashamed.

Bad Club behaviour, not by you, has been dismissed as a “few divvies” etc on here in the past.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
By what is being inferred on here by yourself and others, who are these people not on here you and others are talking about? Are they a majority or minority.

It’s coming across as if you support England you should be ashamed.

Bad Club behaviour, not by you, has been dismissed as a “few divvies” etc on here in the past.

Those who think that booing another country's national anthem is acceptable because you are supporting "Ing-ger-lund".

Those that think anti-social behaviour gets a pass because you are supporting "Ing-ger-lund".

Those that think ignoring any of the current Covid restrictions is acceptable because you are supporting "Ing-ger-lund".

They may not be a majority but there is no shortage of them, and the further we get in a tournament the more prevalent it appears to be.

No one should be ashamed of supporting their national football team but some should certainly be ashamed of the manner in which they do it; like the post earlier where someone of Asian heritage was abused for wearing an England shirt. if thinking that makes me a fun sponge, so be it; maybe 30 years of clearing up the :poop: these morons cause gives me a viewpoint that some will never understand.