The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Read #6602, you said WBA were unlucky! No, he was either offside or onside, you “totally agree” with the post above and again want feet or torso or one reference point...
So you think saying they were unlucky is moaning ,really.

A players eyeline is telling him he is level with the defender.
If his toenail strays offside that is unlucky in my opinion.
one reference point what ever they pick will at least sort out the stupid ones like werners last night using the shirt sleeve.

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I do have the sound down quite often to be fair - more depends on who the commentary team is!
I don't mind hearing all the swearing the players and managers do. Lack of atmosphere doesn't put me off a bit.
I also don't mind the "bababooey", "get in the hole" loonies at the golf.
I accept I might be odd though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't mind hearing all the swearing the players and managers do. Lack of atmosphere doesn't put me off a bit.
I also don't mind the "bababooey", "get in the hole" loonies at the golf.
I accept I might be odd though.
That's a definite plus. Apparently you could hear Rashford calling Maguire an effing knobhead the other day! Comedy gold.

D

Deleted member 16999

So you think saying they were unlucky is moaning ,really.

A players eyeline is telling him he is level with the defender.
If his toenail strays offside that is unlucky in my opinion.
one reference point what ever they pick will at least sort out the stupid ones like werners last night using the shirt sleeve.
Nick said 1 point, the feet, unfortunately the toenails are attached to feet, so either you are on or off side.

So either you “totally agree” with him or you don’t, you change what you think VAR should judge every match you watch!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nick said 1 point, the feet, unfortunately the toenails are attached to feet, so either you are on or off side.

So either you “totally agree” with him or you don’t, you change what you think VAR should judge every match you watch!
It would be so much easier if they stop trying to draw lines on it, and start simply watching the footage and seeing if they think he's offside or not. The same as a linesman used to do, but with the benefit of a slow motion replay. That's all it had to be, and it genuinely makes me upset that they've done it so stupidly and ruined football and there's nothing I can do about it.

D

Deleted member 16999

It would be so much easier if they stop trying to draw lines on it, and start simply watching the footage and seeing if they think he's offside or not. The same as a linesman used to do, but with the benefit of a slow motion replay. That's all it had to be, and it genuinely makes me upset that they've done it so stupidly and ruined football and there's nothing I can do about it.
I agree they’ve messed it up, but the Linesman and the VAR official both need to be clear on what they are looking at, is it just feet? Any part of the body you can score with? etc etc.

It’s wrong to expect the Linesman to be as accurate as the lines.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personal opinion, and I will add again that I am not a massive football fan, is that any VAR action needs to start and finish with the ref. As with other sports, the ref makes a decision on field then it is only checked by VAR if the ref asks for it. If the evidence is marginal (a toe offside) then the on field decision remains and if it is obvious then it can be reversed. Take rugby, the question is all important. The ref asks if it is a try yes or no then the VAR needs to find evidence that it was scored, if the ref asks if there is any reason not to award the try then the try is given unless the VAR can find compelling evidence to the contrary. In either way the ref and the video assistant work together as a team and are miked up to talk it through whereas in what little I have seen of it in football, they seem to be working as 2 separate entities.

D

Deleted member 16999

Personal opinion, and I will add again that I am not a massive football fan, is that any VAR action needs to start and finish with the ref. As with other sports, the ref makes a decision on field then it is only checked by VAR if the ref asks for it. If the evidence is marginal (a toe offside) then the on field decision remains and if it is obvious then it can be reversed. Take rugby, the question is all important. The ref asks if it is a try yes or no then the VAR needs to find evidence that it was scored, if the ref asks if there is any reason not to award the try then the try is given unless the VAR can find compelling evidence to the contrary. In either way the ref and the video assistant work together as a team and are miked up to talk it through whereas in what little I have seen of it in football, they seem to be working as 2 separate entities.
But if in Rugby the VAR sees the ball is short of the try line by a toe, then they’ll say No Try, why should Football allow that tolerance?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree they’ve messed it up, but the Linesman and the VAR official both need to be clear on what they are looking at, is it just feet? Any part of the body you can score with? etc etc.

It’s wrong to expect the Linesman to be as accurate as the lines.
In my view once you forget about lines you can also forget about toe, shoulder, etc. It wasn't ever talked about before was it? The linesman just made a judgement call in the moment. That's how I would envision it working. Official watches the replay in slow motion and just makes a judgement call whether the forward is ahead of the defender, by looking at their body as a whole. Examples: if their toe is beyond but the bulk of their body is back and behind the defender (because he has his weight on the back foot) then potentially they would appear level and he'd be onside. Or their feet might be level, but the striker is leaning forward with more momentum so his head and shoulders are past the defender and then he will appear to be offside. If their bodies are about level but the forward's foot is in front then he might be given offside. It's just a judgement based on what you say. All the VAR does is give them the chance to look at it one more time, slowed down. Note, I'm purely talking about offsides here.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. The VAR should be there to help the ref - he can view it at the side of the pitch if he needs a second look. For some reason it's ended up being that a guy in an office in Stockley Park is actually making the major decisions and the ref is just the spokesman. It's totally wrong.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
But if in Rugby the VAR sees the ball is short of the try line by a toe, then they’ll say No Try, why should Football allow that tolerance?

On a decision like that, question of 'goal, yes or no' then the question is simply has it crossed the line or not, are there any infringements.

Rugby does not draw lines on the pitch and I think that is another mistake in football. The game was never meant to be officiated to that level of precision and rulings should be made on what the eye can pick up alone.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree. The VAR should be there to help the ref - he can view it at the side of the pitch if he needs a second look. For some reason it's ended up being that a guy in an office in Stockley Park is actually making the major decisions and the ref is just the spokesman. It's totally wrong.

No idea where the whole idea of having a VAR center came from. Seems mad to not even be in the ground and a massive waste.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Maybe in Rugby there are far more instances where the ball in play is obscured by the referees (or his assistants) viewpoint and the multiple TV angle coverage actually really does assist the officials. Very little in football is not directly observable by one of the three men in black.

D

Deleted member 16999

In my view once you forget about lines you can also forget about toe, shoulder, etc. It wasn't ever talked about before was it? The linesman just made a judgement call in the moment. That's how I would envision it working. Official watches the replay in slow motion and just makes a judgement call whether the forward is ahead of the defender, by looking at their body as a whole. Examples: if their toe is beyond but the bulk of their body is back and behind the defender (because he has his weight on the back foot) then potentially they would appear level and he'd be onside. Or their feet might be level, but the striker is leaning forward with more momentum so his head and shoulders are past the defender and then he will appear to be offside. If their bodies are about level but the forward's foot is in front then he might be given offside. It's just a judgement based on what you say. All the VAR does is give them the chance to look at it one more time, slowed down. Note, I'm purely talking about offsides here.
I don’t have an issue with anything you’ve put, but you have to remember how we got in this mess and unfortunately it was because judgement calls weren’t accepted by managers, players or fans, especially when the media stepped in.:mad:

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe in Rugby there are far more instances where the ball in play is obscured by the referees (or his assistants) viewpoint and the multiple TV angle coverage actually really does assist the officials. Very little in football is not directly observable by one of the three men in black.
Pros and cons of both, Football can be a lot faster at times and yes I’d hope that is correct with your last sentence, but VAR seems to prove it wrong.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
The major problem with the "Clear and Obvious" is what's clear and obvious to one set of people is not clear and obvious to the others, so if you are going to use it, you have to use it to the nth degree. The worms might be out the can by now, but I prefer the old way of the 3 officials making the decisions on what they see, The Championship has no VAR and I don't see arguments 5 times a game there, they just get on with it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree which I why I feel that the ref needs to ask a question of the video official if they are not sure and that is what triggers VAR involvement. Rather than VAR look at every goal, the goal is awarded unless the ref asks for something to be checked. VAR then becomes a tool rather than an imposition on the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea where the whole idea of having a VAR center came from. Seems mad to not even be in the ground and a massive waste.
There are so many aspects to the application of VAR that make you seriously wonder what sort of idiots they had around the table discussing it. They totally jumped the shark and made it way overblown. It really could have been as simple as just installing those TVs at pitchside for the ref to go have a second look if he needed to. Just that minor change is all that was needed and I think would worked fine. The only extra member of staff you'd need is someone to run the replay footage on the TV for him.