The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wife has just asked if they play the crowd noise for the players in the stadium so they feel more comfortable.
I had that discussion with my son at the beginning of this season. There are no theatres working, no concerts happening, speakers and audio equipment are unused and available.

My thoughts are that someone tried it and it just didn't work. The empty stadiums need physical bodies in them to help the sound bounce around and bouncing off steel, plastic and concrete alone just does not work. If they didn't even try it then that is criminal.

I can't watch a game without the fake crowd noise, it must be soul destroying for the players.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had that discussion with my son at the beginning of this season. There are no theatres working, no concerts happening, speakers and audio equipment are unused and available.

My thoughts are that someone tried it and it just didn't work. The empty stadiums need physical bodies in them to help the sound bounce around and bouncing off steel, plastic and concrete alone just does not work. If they didn't even try it then that is criminal.

I can't watch a game without the fake crowd noise, it must be soul destroying for the players.

If it was that big a deal arsenal would be winning the league anyways .. no change

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

Can just picture the sound guy there with a list of profanities to choose from. Maybe they should have something to give a player who dives some stick over the tannoy

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

Autograph, a wonderful company who supply audio to a whole host of west end theatres and theatres across the country, did exactly this at QPR.

Here is an interview they did with FourFourTwo, should you wish to delve a little further!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Autograph, a wonderful company who supply audio to a whole host of west end theatres and theatres across the country, did exactly this at QPR.

Here is an interview they did with FourFourTwo, should you wish to delve a little further!
Thanks, that is interesting. I wonder why this has not been taken up by other teams? I am not aware of any PL side doing it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know why people say this, it makes no difference to me at all. If anything I prefer to have the fake crowd noise off, because I know it's fake, and it reacts a few seconds late and so on. It's just pointless really.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know why people say this, it makes no difference to me at all. If anything I prefer to have the fake crowd noise off, because I know it's fake, and it reacts a few seconds late and so on. It's just pointless really.
Each to their own. Without noise it feels like pre season, a friendly, a kick about in the park. It's flat. Fair play if you can enjoy it without.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Each to their own. Without noise it feels like pre season, a friendly, a kick about in the park. It's flat. Fair play if you can enjoy it without.
Maybe I enjoy football from a more technical viewpoint. As in, I just enjoy seeing good attacking play, goals etc, all of which is unaffected by there being fans or not.

D

Deleted member 18588

I agree that the absence of a crowd results in a lack of atmosphere but the injection of recorded crowd sounds is totally phony and just about sums up the PL and the clubs focusing on the televised product.

I think that fans aren't that gullible and would watch it with or without sanitised fake sound effects.

You can't artificially create atmosphere.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree that the absence of a crowd results in a lack of atmosphere but the injection of recorded crowd sounds is totally phony and just about sums up the PL and the clubs focusing on the televised product.

I think that fans aren't that gullible and would watch it with or without sanitised fake sound effects.
I think it would be interesting to know the figures for those who choose to watch with fake noise and those who don't. I suspect the majority watch with noise pumped through.

Yes, we would still watch with no noise but it just reminds us all that times are wonky. I like to be tricked into normality, even if just for a short time.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Its not VAR that is wrong, it is the stupid rules covering situations that VAR mainly looks at.

Werner....not offside....how can anyone decide that the edge of the shirtsleeve defines a point of reference for where a player is on the pitch (not just this instance but countless others)....we will see teams next season line up in Aussie rules style tank tops. The problem with using miscellaneous body parts and then drawing a line downwards to intersect with the pitch brings considerable doubt as to how long the line needs to be before it touches the pitch...how do you figure out how long the line should be for someone's knee compared to someone's armpit? Offside should purely be based on where your feet are on the ground, the ground is the only true reference point and the feet are the only part of the body that in 99% of situations are in contact with the ground. If a striker has timed his run so his feet are onside but he is leaning towards goal whilst a defender is leaning away....great he is onside and should be applauded for the timing of his movement. If he has timed his run so that one foot is onside but the other is in the air as part of the stride and "offside"...deem him onside....lets reward finely tuned attacking play rather than disallow goals because the strikers big nose was offside.

If a striker is running towards goal and gets tripped on the edge of the penalty area, whether a penalty is given or not depends on where his feet are in relation to the penalty area is....not where his leaning torso is or where his pointing arm is....same principle should apply for offside.

The Fulham non goal....what an utter joke....the ball was blasted at him from a few yards, arm was tucked tightly against his body within the defined outline of his torso.

The Liverpool non penalty....should have been given, although the Chelsea player was pretty close to the ball his hand was in an un-natural position.....yes they've messed around with the rule so much no one really knows what is going on but it is ridiculous that attackers are penalised for accidental handballs whilst defenders similar actions go unpunished.

VAR playbacks should also be done in real time speed....if its not obvious when played back at real time speed then the onfield decision should stand. Lines(wo)men (i refuse to call them Referees Assistants because they generally do sod all to assist the referee and will often wait for a ref to indicate a decision before raising their flags) should be told to raise their flags for obvious offsides, rather than let play go on wasting time that could be valuable to one of the teams. Marginal calls....keep the flag down let play develop and go to VAR if necessary.

Basically the rules as they are currently written/interpreted have done nothing but suck the life out of attacking play and robbed football of whatever joy it once had.

D

Deleted member 18588

I think it would be interesting to know the figures for those who choose to watch with fake noise and those who don't. I suspect the majority watch with noise pumped through.

Yes, we would still watch with no noise but it just reminds us all that times are wonky. I like to be tricked into normality, even if just for a short time.
Sorry to say it but you are either easily tricked or have just forgotten what a live crowd actually sounds like.

Perhaps it would not be so bad if it wasn't so obviously artificial.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its not VAR that is wrong, it is the stupid rules covering situations that VAR mainly looks at.

Werner....not offside....how can anyone decide that the edge of the shirtsleeve defines a point of reference for where a player is on the pitch (not just this instance but countless others)....we will see teams next season line up in Aussie rules style tank tops. The problem with using miscellaneous body parts and then drawing a line downwards to intersect with the pitch brings considerable doubt as to how long the line needs to be before it touches the pitch...how do you figure out how long the line should be for someone's knee compared to someone's armpit? Offside should purely be based on where your feet are on the ground, the ground is the only true reference point and the feet are the only part of the body that in 99% of situations are in contact with the ground. If a striker has timed his run so his feet are onside but he is leaning towards goal whilst a defender is leaning away....great he is onside and should be applauded for the timing of his movement. If he has timed his run so that one foot is onside but the other is in the air as part of the stride and "offside"...deem him onside....lets reward finely tuned attacking play rather than disallow goals because the strikers big nose was offside.

If a striker is running towards goal and gets tripped on the edge of the penalty area, whether a penalty is given or not depends on where his feet are in relation to the penalty area is....not where his leaning torso is or where his pointing arm is....same principle should apply for offside.

The Fulham non goal....what an utter joke....the ball was blasted at him from a few yards, arm was tucked tightly against his body within the defined outline of his torso.

The Liverpool non penalty....should have been given, although the Chelsea player was pretty close to the ball his hand was in an un-natural position.....yes they've messed around with the rule so much no one really knows what is going on but it is ridiculous that attackers are penalised for accidental handballs whilst defenders similar actions go unpunished.

VAR playbacks should also be done in real time speed....if its not obvious when played back at real time speed then the onfield decision should stand. Lines(wo)men (i refuse to call them Referees Assistants because they generally do sod all to assist the referee and will often wait for a ref to indicate a decision before raising their flags) should be told to raise their flags for obvious offsides, rather than let play go on wasting time that could be valuable to one of the teams. Marginal calls....keep the flag down let play develop and go to VAR if necessary.

Basically the rules as they are currently written/interpreted have done nothing but suck the life out of attacking play and robbed football of whatever joy it once had.
Far to much common sense here for it to be considered!!
Totally agree with the whole post.

D

Deleted member 16999

Far to much common sense here for it to be considered!!
Totally agree with the whole post.
You’ve changed you tune! Last night you moaned when the VAR decision was based on the foot of a player.:rolleyes:

Post #6602

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’ve changed you tune! Last night you moaned when the VAR decision was based on the foot of a player.:rolleyes:

Post #6602
That’s because his foot was offside. I said use the torso.
But some consistency is needed feet/ torso or head just use one reference point ,
At least then it’s a reference point.
If it was the same in every decision it could be tolerated but how can they give offside based on your arm.

If saying WBA were unlucky is moaning think your reading it wrong.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Is the problem that football's governing bodies are, in making the Laws, merely reflecting society and its descent into a litigious swamp.

Constantly being reminded that the game (remember when it was just that!) is "big business " these days, and "millions of pounds are at stake".

As a result the authorities take a "what if" attitude and get bogged down in hypotheses when drafting the latest Law changes.

Certainly seems as if good old common sense left the building a while back.

D

Deleted member 16999

That’s because his foot was offside. I said use the torso.
But some consistency is needed feet/ torso or head just use one reference point ,
At least then it’s a reference point.
If it was the same in every decision it could be tolerated but how can they give offside based on your arm.
Read #6602, you said WBA were unlucky! No, he was either offside or onside, you “totally agree” with the post above and again want feet or torso or one reference point...