The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Morfeen75

Visit site
Regarding Spurs' managerial carousel....at what point do you have to question whether it's the club and not the manager?

I'm not saying Ange is the answer, but the majority of the managers who have been and gone in recent years have had success just about everywhere else?

Conte
Jose
Poch
hell, even Nuno. guided Wolves to Europe and top 10 finish in the league....did nothing at Spurs and is now orchestrating a remarkable turnaround at Forest, now he's been given a bit of time and a full pre-season.
Or the fans?
Society has changed. We now live in a life whereby paitence and common sense has been lost by the majority and now, the majority of football fans are fickle. Expectations by fans are far higher than the ability of the players at most clubs. The obscene amounts of money thrown around and wasted by football clubs is staggering. What other business can lose £35m per year and be considered acceptable? AP has done a good job with the squad he has. Realistically, what is Par for AP and Spurs? For my money 6th or better is a successful season.

Swango1980

Visit site
Regarding Spurs' managerial carousel....at what point do you have to question whether it's the club and not the manager?

I'm not saying Ange is the answer, but the majority of the managers who have been and gone in recent years have had success just about everywhere else?

Conte
Jose
Poch
hell, even Nuno. guided Wolves to Europe and top 10 finish in the league....did nothing at Spurs and is now orchestrating a remarkable turnaround at Forest, now he's been given a bit of time and a full pre-season.
Has Nuno been that good?

He joined Forest when they were 17th I think, and they finished 17th. Job done, but turnaround?

This season has not been an awful start by any means. 2 wins out of 4 league games, defeat in the EFL Cup and not scoring more than 1 goal in any game so far. The result and performance against Liverpool was spot on, but I'm not sure there is enough to go on to say he is thriving at Forest compared to Spurs?

At Spurs, he got Spurs off to their best PL start ever and won August manager of the month. But by November, lost 5 out of 7 and was sacked with them 9th in the table, replaced by Conte. Maybe fans hated his style of football, I can't remember? But sometimes teams can go through a bad spell like that, maybe it was harsh to sack him? Was the temptation to get an available Conte just too much for Levy?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or the fans?
Society has changed. We now live in a life whereby paitence and common sense has been lost by the majority and now, the majority of football fans are fickle. Expectations by fans are far higher than the ability of the players at most clubs. The obscene amounts of money thrown around and wasted by football clubs is staggering. What other business can lose £35m per year and be considered acceptable? AP has done a good job with the squad he has. Realistically, what is Par for AP and Spurs? For my money 6th or better is a successful season.

With the players spurs have available they could do better for sure.. but its the way poch sets up to go all out.. dont get me wrong against certain terms its outstanding to watch but having a plan b and defending isnt actually a bad thing.

Swango1980

Visit site
Or the fans?
And the fact we have 24 hr mainstream media.

I remember the only time I heard opinions about football was about 30 seconds at the end of the main evening new headlines (often not opinions, just reporting results), MOTD, Football Focus and the back pages if I ever read them. Now we have 24 hr Sky Sports News, Talksport, etc. They need to think of content to talk about hour after hour, day after day, week after week. And they need to beef it up, sensationalize it, so it attracts listeners with strong opinions themselves. Talksport will have multiple shows throughout the day with different presenters and guests, they will all want to give their strong views on the same subjects. The strongest views are then cropped, and stuck on YouTube so that any listeners who didn't hear it live, can listen to what was said at any time of their convenience.

And, then of course, social media allows the fans to swamp those platforms with their equally strong views.

I guess the hardest thing for Owners / Chairmen these days is to stay patient and have faith, when all the external noise is telling them sacking managers absolute correct thing to do. Especially when some other high profile manager becomes available somewhere.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Conte
Jose
Poch
Hey!
When I read this I got slightly excited that Spurs had actually asked Ange already.
My day was briefly brightened, and now slightly less so!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has Nuno been that good?

He joined Forest when they were 17th I think, and they finished 17th. Job done, but turnaround?

This season has not been an awful start by any means. 2 wins out of 4 league games, defeat in the EFL Cup and not scoring more than 1 goal in any game so far. The result and performance against Liverpool was spot on, but I'm not sure there is enough to go on to say he is thriving at Forest compared to Spurs?

At Spurs, he got Spurs off to their best PL start ever and won August manager of the month. But by November, lost 5 out of 7 and was sacked with them 9th in the table, replaced by Conte. Maybe fans hated his style of football, I can't remember? But sometimes teams can go through a bad spell like that, maybe it was harsh to sack him? Was the temptation to get an available Conte just too much for Levy?
It's early days for sure (and my comment was a bit tongue in cheek), but just watching the performances so far this season, it's night and day compared to how we looked last season.

We 2 games away from home in a season and a half before Nuno came in. We've now won 4 away games on the bounce. We go into these games expecting something now, not just writing them off as a "Free hit"
We were leaking goals last season (particularly with set pieces), that already improved. Undone by a late brain fart against Bournemouth and a worldy vs Wolves.
Haven't scored from a set piece in literal years - already scored from a set piece this season
Through 4 games, we'd had most shots and most shots on target - so finishing needs improving, but we're creating many more chances than we were last season (couldn't get a deal done with a striker in the summer, but suspect we'll get someone in Jan)
Stuck our B team out vs. Newcastle in the cup (who fielded their strongest starting XI), and very nearly beat them

I'll stick my neck on the line now - unless we somehow lose half our squad to injury, we'll be nowhere near the relegation spots this season, 14th at the lowest I reckon, which doesn't seem like a massive improvement, but compared to where we were the last 2 years, it's massive. But by the same token, wouldn't shock me to see us win the league 😁

Swango1980

Visit site
It's early days for sure (and my comment was a bit tongue in cheek), but just watching the performances so far this season, it's night and day compared to how we looked last season.

We 2 games away from home in a season and a half before Nuno came in. We've now won 4 away games on the bounce. We go into these games expecting something now, not just writing them off as a "Free hit"
We were leaking goals last season (particularly with set pieces), that already improved. Undone by a late brain fart against Bournemouth and a worldy vs Wolves.
Haven't scored from a set piece in literal years - already scored from a set piece this season
Through 4 games, we'd had most shots and most shots on target - so finishing needs improving, but we're creating many more chances than we were last season (couldn't get a deal done with a striker in the summer, but suspect we'll get someone in Jan)
Stuck our B team out vs. Newcastle in the cup (who fielded their strongest starting XI), and very nearly beat them

I'll stick my neck on the line now - unless we somehow lose half our squad to injury, we'll be nowhere near the relegation spots this season, 14th at the lowest I reckon, which doesn't seem like a massive improvement, but compared to where we were the last 2 years, it's massive. But by the same token, wouldn't shock me to see us win the league 😁
You could have gone for Anthony Martial, he was free :) . Too late now though, yesterday he signed for AEK Athens

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Easy three points at City ground in a few weeks

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If his salary at AEK Athens is reported correctly, had he been given the same at Forest the likes of Ward Prowse and Milenkovic would be earning way more than double. Think it would have put martial 9th on your wage list.

Granted, still silly wages if he ends up injured all the time
Yea, injury record leaves him as a bit of a risk...and really, I'm talking like we didn't waste £100k a week on loaning Origi last season for him to play about 80 minutes of football 🙃

Seems like the Recruitment team have a clear plan with regards to the players they intend to bring in - younger with a big upside, to hopefully get them regular football with some success and then flip them for profit to start the process again.

We'll end up selling Murillo and/or Gibbs-White for £80-£100m a piece in the summer, which I'll be gutted about, but never in my life would I have thought we'd be at a point where we have players of such calibre being sold to absolutely massive European clubs.

Last edited:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
1950We play football. Americans play carry ball.
Rugby is rugby, whether league or union it’s still rugby.
So you don't consider rugby a form of football. I see.

I always thought of association, union, league, Gaelic, Australian Rules, our American gridiron, and similar games
as all being football. I guess that's not right, then.

By the way, many, many Americans play your soccer-rules football.
It's very popular as a club or youth participation sport,
just not very popular as sports entertainment....yet.

Right now, more kids are playing youth "soccer" than playing youth baseball,
which is heartbreaking to me. Our professional baseball is relying highly
on Caribbean players particularly, and more and more on Asian players as well.

Baseball seems slowly on its way out,
which would create a huge opening for soccer-rules football.

I've followed baseball religiously from the 1950s to recently,
but it's been gimmicked up so much that I don't watch it anymore.
In a failing effort to attract new fans, baseball has chased old fans away instead.

Sorry. Carry on with your footie thread.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site

I always thought of association, union, league, Gaelic, Australian Rules, our American gridiron, and similar games

In a failing effort to attract new fans, baseball has chased old fans away instead.

Baseball over here is a school girl's game called rounders. 😜😁

Morfeen75

Visit site
With the players spurs have available they could do better for sure.. but its the way poch sets up to go all out.. dont get me wrong against certain terms its outstanding to watch but having a plan b and defending isnt actually a bad thing.
Poch??

How much better do you expect? Last season was his first season btw.

They were much the better team and should have won that game versus Leicester, comfortably beat Everton and unfortunate to lose versus Newcastle. Then they narrowly lost versus Arsenal. The performances havent been bad. I admire AP's tactics, it's a pleasure to watch at times. If they dropped 15 yards deeper then they wouldnt be as blistering in attack.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Once upon a time rugby was called rugby football. The national union is called the rugby football union(RFU), although the commercial name is EnglandRugby.

Many of the long established clubs finish with xxxx rugby football club, some finishing with xxxx rugby union football club. Bit of a mouthful but most are colloquially known as xxxx rugby club.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You can't call your game "football" as there is next to no use of the foot for movement of the ball.
:)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once upon a time rugby was called rugby football. The national union is called the rugby football union(RFU), although the commercial name is EnglandRugby.

Many of the long established clubs finish with xxxx rugby football club, some finishing with xxxx rugby union football club. Bit of a mouthful but most are colloquially known as xxxx rugby club.
Because someone picked up the ball and ran with it during a game of football at Rugby school:)