The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Potter is still available!

The deluded Ozzie seamed such an odd fit. Unless they want to just play FIFA ultimate attacking mode all game every game
I really like Potter, I forgot about him. Would happily take him as our manager, but I still wonder if he's keeping his hat in the ring for the England gig.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really like Potter, I forgot about him. Would happily take him as our manager, but I still wonder if he's keeping his hat in the ring for the England gig.

I dont see anyone but carsley getting it.. its a proven method , works with other nations and worked with southgate, get the next manager in from the under 21s.. he/she will have a good relationship with the players and know who will / wont make the jump sooner. Southgate for all the moaning about him had a great relationship with the players.

Potter would be a great fit however I think hes just enjoying his money now.. doesnt he have to give a lot of it up if he gets another job?

Swango1980

Visit site
I dont see anyone but carsley getting it.. its a proven method , works with other nations and worked with southgate, get the next manager in from the under 21s.. he/she will have a good relationship with the players and know who will / wont make the jump sooner. Southgate for all the moaning about him had a great relationship with the players.

Potter would be a great fit however I think hes just enjoying his money now.. doesnt he have to give a lot of it up if he gets another job?
Any chance Potter could become the U21 manager, with a view to become England manager after Carsley? Could he and the FA be waiting to see how Carsley gets on in his interim spell, and once Carsley is appointed full time (assuming this will happen), Potter will be asked to be U21 manager knowing that would put him in a strong position in a few years down the line

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any chance Potter could become the U21 manager, with a view to become England manager after Carsley? Could he and the FA be waiting to see how Carsley gets on in his interim spell, and once Carsley is appointed full time (assuming this will happen), Potter will be asked to be U21 manager knowing that would put him in a strong position in a few years down the line

Very much doubt because of cost, he would command more than the England manager

The system ATM allows less proven management to get up to speed with the under 21s and transition up the ranks

International football is another skill set from normal management

Eth might make a good international manager 😉

Swango1980

Visit site
Very much doubt because of cost, he would command more than the England manager

The system ATM allows less proven management to get up to speed with the under 21s and transition up the ranks

International football is another skill set from normal management

Eth might make a good international manager 😉
I agree, just like Pep. Some people are just naturally gifted at any form of football management ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst many will not like it, the England job and the jobs in the under 21s and lower age groups should be used to develop the next generation of English managers. The job is perfect management training, no need for transfers, budgets, or weekly media scrutiny, if is almost half the job of a premier league manager where you can focus on tactics and selection.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The kit actually looks quite nice, it’s one of those you need to see in real life. On a positive. It’s not the same style that Nike, Adidas etc use for all there teams but just different colours.
Re the game, it was good to go back and see a live game, there’s just something about night games ( when it don’t Chuck it down).. The steak and kidney pudding with chips and Irish curry were gorgeous.
Inter were a very very good well organised team. Five at the back, as soon as City got the ball out wide, Grealish had two on him. The finishing from both side were woeful.
KDB Has lost a yard.
Foden, Rodri and Gundoghan good to see get minutes in. Happy with the result as that is my two fave teams.
Rodri what a footballer.
Gets away with a lot though.

My thought on the kit is.
Remember when UTD had a grey kit and the players said “ they couldn’t see the other players as it just blended in with the background”
Reminds me of that, just to fussy but looks good with jeans!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Regarding Spurs' managerial carousel....at what point do you have to question whether it's the club and not the manager?

I'm not saying Ange is the answer, but the majority of the managers who have been and gone in recent years have had success just about everywhere else?

Conte
Jose
Poch
hell, even Nuno. guided Wolves to Europe and top 10 finish in the league....did nothing at Spurs and is now orchestrating a remarkable turnaround at Forest, now he's been given a bit of time and a full pre-season.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
did nothing at Spurs and is now orchestrating a remarkable turnaround at Forest, now he's been given a bit of time and a full pre-season.
And therein lies the issue. Even United have given EtH a degree of time irrespective of how they go to that position and clubs especially the top ones need to wake up and realise it isn't about always chucking cash at it but building a side and style. It is what Emery is doing to great effect, what Arteta is doing and what Klopp did

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
And therein lies the issue. Even United have given EtH a degree of time irrespective of how they go to that position and clubs especially the top ones need to wake up and realise it isn't about always chucking cash at it but building a side and style. It is what Emery is doing to great effect, what Arteta is doing and what Klopp did
Indeed, time is definitely a factor. Forest didn't really improve much under Nuno after he came in last season. Just enough to see us through.

Now he's had a full pre-season and a few key signings to bed in, we're basically prime Barca now. :LOL: