The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saved by the lad who they’ve abused all week. Poor bloke looked miserable, even celebrating the win at the end. I’d take him back at Forest in a heartbeat if Elanga goes to Newcastle in January.
I haven't watched any games bar the first one, but I was still baffled at this. Brennan always looks a great prospect when I've seen him play. Rapid, direct. Why was he getting pelters? Just because his finishing isn't the greatest?

Anyway, it's starting to look a little bit ominous for Ange. Ok we won the game in the end. But after that first few months of last season he seemed to get found out very quickly - his win/draw/loss record must be pretty poor if you take those opening months out. I feel he desperately needs Solanke to start scoring now he's fit again, as playing great football and entertaining fans isn't much good if you miss 8 chances and lose 2-1 to two counter attacks most weeks.

Swango1980

Visit site
I haven't watched any games bar the first one, but I was still baffled at this. Brennan always looks a great prospect when I've seen him play. Rapid, direct. Why was he getting pelters? Just because his finishing isn't the greatest?

Anyway, it's starting to look a little bit ominous for Ange. Ok we won the game in the end. But after that first few months of last season he seemed to get found out very quickly - his win/draw/loss record must be pretty poor if you take those opening months out. I feel he desperately needs Solanke to start scoring now he's fit again, as playing great football and entertaining fans isn't much good if you miss 8 chances and lose 2-1 to two counter attacks most weeks.
But he ALWAYS wins a trophy in his second season...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But he ALWAYS wins a trophy in his second season...
I have a theory that Levy tells his managers to prioritise league position, in order to make the club more money. I don't think he particularly cares about winning a trophy. This is why we always see second-string teams and lacklustre performances in the cups.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a theory that Levy tells his managers to prioritise league position, in order to make the club more money. I don't think he particularly cares about winning a trophy. This is why we always see second-string teams and lacklustre performances in the cups.

You have a hypothesis as you can't prove it 😉

I think the fraud will be gone soon. Think he is starting to realise just how hard the premier league is

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shouldn't have forced conte out the club, an actual winner

As LT says touchel

He was a terrible appointment. No real experience for a club of that size.
Is this a joke? Conte was an absolutely terrible fit for the club. Everywhere he's been he buys a new team that fits his brief on how to play. We're not a club that does that. As soon as he realised this he talked himself out of the job with some ridiculous press conferences and interviews, throwing absolutely everyone but himself under the bus. No Spurs fan will look back on anything Conte did with any fondness.

Tuchel though, bloody hell, I may actually vomit if we appointed him. Horrible manager and a horrible man. And I've had enough of ex-Chelsea bosses, they clearly don't work for us.

Swango1980

Visit site
You might be right that Levy wants league position as priority. However, I don't think that is anything unique to Levy. In fact, I suspect ALL owners / chairmen would like to prioritize league, whatever division they are in. That sets your foundation, rewards consistency, etc. Whereas, prioritize cup football, and you look an idiot when you go out after one bad game, or a game you are on the bad end of a referee's call, bad bounce, etc. Especially if you are struggling in the league because you've played weaker starting 11's and thrown away a few points.

However, I doubt Levy is telling managers to play really weak players in cup football. Ange made that decision, like many managers, to rest certain players last night against a side like Coventry. If it was a QF or SF against a better side, I'm sure Ange would play a stronger side. And he, Levy and all Spurs fans would be desperate to win, as getting to a final and potentially winning is so much closer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this a joke? Conte was an absolutely terrible fit for the club. Everywhere he's been he buys a new team that fits his brief on how to play. We're not a club that does that. As soon as he realised this he talked himself out of the job with some ridiculous press conferences and interviews, throwing absolutely everyone but himself under the bus. No Spurs fan will look back on anything Conte did with any fondness.

Tuchel though, bloody hell, I may actually vomit if we appointed him. Horrible manager and a horrible man. And I've had enough of ex-Chelsea bosses, they clearly don't work for us.

No winning manager will overly want the spurs job because levy doesn't back them enough.

Should have gone all in for poch when he left Chelsea. The fans loved him, he worked with Levy's underinvestment

He even got Chelsea playing good football again last season.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Tuchel though, bloody hell, I may actually vomit if we appointed him. Horrible manager and a horrible man.

If you were a United fan you’d get some real stick for saying you don’t want Tuchel. I’ll be interested to see if you get a similar onslaught for saying what so many United supporters did during the summer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might be right that Levy wants league position as priority. However, I don't think that is anything unique to Levy. In fact, I suspect ALL owners / chairmen would like to prioritize league, whatever division they are in. That sets your foundation, rewards consistency, etc. Whereas, prioritize cup football, and you look an idiot when you go out after one bad game, or a game you are on the bad end of a referee's call, bad bounce, etc. Especially if you are struggling in the league because you've played weaker starting 11's and thrown away a few points.

However, I doubt Levy is telling managers to play really weak players in cup football. Ange made that decision, like many managers, to rest certain players last night against a side like Coventry. If it was a QF or SF against a better side, I'm sure Ange would play a stronger side. And he, Levy and all Spurs fans would be desperate to win, as getting to a final and potentially winning is so much closer.
It's the more the case that our back-up players aren't as good as the top clubs. World class players don't want to come and sit on our bench the way they do for Man City. Their back-up players can get them through the early rounds of the cups, whereas ours often do not.

No winning manager will overly want the spurs job because levy doesn't back them enough.

Should have gone all in for poch when he left Chelsea. The fans loved him, he worked with Levy's underinvestment

He even got Chelsea playing good football again last season.
I'd have taken Poch back but I also understand not wanting to go back to an old manager. I think Moyes at West Ham is the only time in history that that's ever worked out well.

If you were a United fan you’d get some real stick for saying you don’t want Tuchel. I’ll be interested to see if you get a similar onslaught for saying what so many United supporters did during the summer.
Dunno mate - that's just my personal feeling. Don't like the guy at all, he's creepy. :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Orikoru would you go for someone a bit younger then? The Luton manager, maybe the Ipswich guy? Respected coaches, get their teams playing good football. Recent managers, older, expensive, haven't brought you any silverware so maybe go a bit younger this time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Orikoru would you go for someone a bit younger then? The Luton manager, maybe the Ipswich guy? Respected coaches, get their teams playing good football. Recent managers, older, expensive, haven't brought you any silverware so maybe go a bit younger this time.
I don't know, we've essentially only had 2 good managers in the last 20 years so we're clearly not very good at this. Kieran McKenna's stock does seem to be rising quickly, and perhaps we'd be appealing to him since he was a youth player with us before he had to retire young. He also coached our under-18s.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Potter is still available!

The deluded Ozzie seamed such an odd fit. Unless they want to just play FIFA ultimate attacking mode all game every game

They couldnt get their first few choices though.

All issues at Spurs point back to one man - Mr Pursestrings!