The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll never get why some England fans want Harry Kane dropped. One of the best strikers I've ever seen, and full confidence he knows what to do when an opportunity arises.

Sure, he might play in line ups or systems that don't take full advantage of his talent. But, develop a system that can utilise Kane's ability, England can be one hell of a team
Kane is a world class finisher but he was so out of form in the Euro's that he should have been dropped. Not permanently but whatever was the issue should have been recognised and acknowledged. That is what England fans were wanting. Unfortunately, he was still an automatic choice and was largely a passenger, to the detriment of the team.

Dropping an out of form big name, temporarily, to bring in an in form medium or new name. Not the England way based on past history, sadly.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And rightly so, on my view. When those players return, Kane will still be better than them

It's not to do with being better than them it's to do with having options

In a friendly match we can experiment.. it's the reason kane has so many caps and goals.. playing meaningless friendlies

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought it was a poor first half aside from the offside goal which was really the main clear cut chance. Just like Southgate we struggled to beat two banks of four and no speed or incision. Two good goals from Kane and pleased for him to do that on the 100th cap appearance but the barrel is looking very empty going forward or if he gets a knock and is out. Is Carsley the answer? Not sure but prepared to let him manage the next set of games as I'm sure he'll learn after that performance and hopefully find a way to make England more incisive

PaulMdj

Visit site
Kane is a world class finisher but he was so out of form in the Euro's that he should have been dropped. Not permanently but whatever was the issue should have been recognised and acknowledged. That is what England fans were wanting. Unfortunately, he was still an automatic choice and was largely a passenger, to the detriment of the team.

Dropping an out of form big name, temporarily, to bring in an in form medium or new name. Not the England way based on past history, sadly.
At the highest level you want your top players, Yes Kane struggled in the Euros, but so did 3/4’s of the England team.

In the friendlies prior to the Euros he made changes and played different forwards.

Last night was not a friendly though.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Southgate would be getting pelters if we had only won those games 2-0, with two disappointing halves in both. Just trying to be consistent.

The issue I have is those 6 games are against easy teams and you could literally put anyone in charge and we'd likely win all of them.

I agree on there being no rush but it seems to me, just a PR exercise and the decision has already been made bar a total disaster. We should be learning from the mistakes that have seen us miss out on major tournaments, rather than look to sell them as a success and keep making those same mistakes.
Southgate would of got pelters because he’d of 8 years in charge, he got us relegated from the top of the Nations League Teams due to his tactics.

Southgate’s first 3 games was 2-0 v Malts, 0-0 v Slovenia and 3-0 v Scotland and the press wanted him as the man, those 3 games were absolutely abysmal.

Carsley’s first 2 games were decent, and maybe taking a lesser name through development like Spain have had success with isn’t too bad.

Carsley has been given 6 matches as interim, all 6 are the Nations League fixtures, 6 fixtures, as you and I would say, we would expect to win, so Carsley is possibly in a no win situation.

Lose any, he’s not good enough, win all 6, any manager should.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overall I'm much more engaged watching us play. When teams frustrate it was VERY frustrating under Gareth. Last night I felt it was only a matter of time before one of our many good moves resulted in a goal. Intent was great. Press was better. All in all an upgrade from what we've seen for too long, imho.

I can be his biggest critic but thought Jack played really well for the whole match.

TAA - I'm still unsure. AWOL twice when Finland should have scored twice. Some fantastic passing and vision in transition especially, but wish he didn't believe everything Phil says about him! Too often he likes to walk with the ball and nonchanantly flick a pass which never reaches his intended target and often in dangerous positions. Get rid of that element (it doesn't look cool) and make sure defensively we don't rely on him and he'd be a starter every game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the highest level you want your top players, Yes Kane struggled in the Euros, but so did 3/4’s of the England team.

In the friendlies prior to the Euros he made changes and played different forwards.

Last night was not a friendly though.
I'm not suggesting Kane should have not played last night, he is our best striker. He absolutely should not have started in the Euro's after game 2 though, it was clear he was not right. A manager needs to react to changing circumstances, not blindly pick someone no matter how badly they are playing. Form has to matter.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'm not suggesting Kane should have not played last night, he is our best striker. He absolutely should not have started in the Euro's after game 2 though, it was clear he was not right. A manager needs to react to changing circumstances, not blindly pick someone no matter how badly they are playing. Form has to matter.
Did he not win the Golden Boot?😂😂😂

No player should be guaranteed to start, but some are proven at the top and can have bad games then bounce back, the way the England squad drifted in and out games was down to Southgate and highlighting Kane all the time is wrong, many of those games he got no service whatsoever and any of our forwards would of struggled.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

No player should be guaranteed to start, but some are proven at the top and can have bad games then bounce back, the way the England squad drifted in and out games was down to Southgate and highlighting Kane all the time is wrong, many of those games he got no service whatsoever and any of our forwards would of struggled.
6 players shared it all scoring a pitiful 3 goals each.
Given the opposition he played against it’s hardly anything to write home about 🤷‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think it was shared between about 15 people :ROFLMAO: . Worst Golden Boot award ever.

I don't think he did bounce back in that tournament. He was lethargic, ran in treacle, was out of position for what the team needed. Watkins came on, Toney came on, the team had life in it again. He looks sharper again now, maybe he just needed a week at Centre Parcs to chill out, I think that is where millionaire footballers go 🤭

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think it was shared between about 15 people :ROFLMAO: . Worst Golden Boot award ever.

I don't think he did bounce back in that tournament. He was lethargic, ran in treacle, was out of position for what the team needed. Watkins came on, Toney came on, the team had life in it again. He looks sharper again now, maybe he just needed a week at Centre Parcs to chill out, I think that is where millionaire footballers go 🤭
A lot easier to come on and run around like a headless chicken for 10-15 minutes than lead the line for 75-80.😛

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched the game last night, very hard to judge against a team that packs the space in and around the box. Played ok imo but nothing world beating, we still seem to have issues with being caught out defensively and offering up cheap chances. First half for me was like Southgate all over again, slow and pondering but at least we did create some openings. Judging by how the BBC have already started the Carsley love in it seems he’s nailed on for the full time job, shame we aren’t playing stronger teams to properly judge his setup rather than vs 3 lesser teams.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Watched the game last night, very hard to judge against a team that packs the space in and around the box. Played ok imo but nothing world beating, we still seem to have issues with being caught out defensively and offering up cheap chances. First half for me was like Southgate all over again, slow and pondering but at least we did create some openings. Judging by how the BBC have already started the Carsley love in it seems he’s nailed on for the full time job, shame we aren’t playing stronger teams to properly judge his setup rather than vs 3 lesser teams.
Think TAA responsible for several of the defensive issues out of position and I am not sure he is always tracking back. Still has some loose passes in him too. Defensively we are still weak against better sides as we were with Southgate. Not sure how that changes

PaulMdj

Visit site
Think TAA responsible for several of the defensive issues out of position and I am not sure he is always tracking back. Still has some loose passes in him too. Defensively we are still weak against better sides as we were with Southgate. Not sure how that changes
Absolutely no basis for that statement!

How do you know how any manager going forward will set up against better teams?

It will probably be the World Cup in 2026 before we face these bigger teams, what do you suggest anyone does in the run up to that?

Carsley or someone else may change the formation or even the players against different opposition.

Judging it on the last 2 games when he has made changes and trying to find his best players is very confusing.😵‍💫