The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watched the game last night, very hard to judge against a team that packs the space in and around the box. Played ok imo but nothing world beating, we still seem to have issues with being caught out defensively and offering up cheap chances. First half for me was like Southgate all over again, slow and pondering but at least we did create some openings. Judging by how the BBC have already started the Carsley love in it seems he’s nailed on for the full time job, shame we aren’t playing stronger teams to properly judge his setup rather than vs 3 lesser teams.
Agree on all of the above. We need to play the next tier of teams at least to have an idea of what he would do. Not his fault, he doesn't control the fixture list.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Always find it a bit disrespectful saying you should be hammering 'lesser' teams, an awful lot of teams will see that England side and know they have to be really well set up and defend from the front, back, or they will get hammered.
The smaller nations are much more tactically aware than they ever have and on their day can get a result.
Finland had a couple of opportunities at 0-0, if they just took one, could of been a different game.
England to me look like the leashes have been untied and have a bit more freedom than under Southgate, early days I know but it's looking like a positive start for Carsley.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Always find it a bit disrespectful saying you should be hammering 'lesser' teams, an awful lot of teams will see that England side and know they have to be really well set up and defend from the front, back, or they will get hammered.
The smaller nations are much more tactically aware than they ever have and on their day can get a result.
Finland had a couple of opportunities at 0-0, if they just took one, could of been a different game.
England to me look like the leashes have been untied and have a bit more freedom than under Southgate, early days I know but it's looking like a positive start for Carsley.
Same in the prem when managers moan about how lesser teams set up.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Totally agree, times like these I can see why England fans get a bad rep from other Nations fans.

None of us were happy with the performances under Southgate, despite him getting us to the latter stages of comps. He’s gone, Carsley has been given 6 games as an interim manager, he was unable to pick some of our best due to injury and illness, brought in a few new faces, gets to train with the squad for 3 days before the games, gets a couple of wins and already the knives are out.

I genuinely don’t believe any other person, including Pep, Klopp etc, could of asked for anymore.

Your last 12 or so words sums it up for me.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Southgate would be getting pelters if we had only won those games 2-0, with two disappointing halves in both. Just trying to be consistent.

The issue I have is those 6 games are against easy teams and you could literally put anyone in charge and we'd likely win all of them.

I agree on there being no rush but it seems to me, just a PR exercise and the decision has already been made bar a total disaster. We should be learning from the mistakes that have seen us miss out on major tournaments, rather than look to sell them as a success and keep making those same mistakes.
With GS we would have struggled to break them down at all, might have got a late lucky goal or ended up a draw. Both of these games even though 2-0 never looked like us losing or drawing, a totally different feel to the game and a way better performance.

I mean 2-0 and 2-0 does not mean the same game. We could have won both by more, with GS we would have been lucky to win really. Not sure what your issue is with LC but what a load of rubbish that was you just posted

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Not sure why there is negativity in regards England

The last two games have been a very different approach

It’s very much most about playing to players strengths and the players being allowed to express themselves more

A lot of the attacking play is going through Grealish and TAA and they are looking to go on the front foot

With some top players to come in then there should a lot optimism ahead

As for Kane

He is a great goalscorer - proven that beyond doubt

But there does need to be times where others come in and he is rested etc to allow other players to show what they can do, these Nation league matches are perfect for that

Pin-seeker

Visit site

It’s very much most about playing to players strengths and the players being allowed to express themselves more

A lot of the attacking play is going through Grealish and TAA and they are looking to go on the front foot

As for Kane

But there does need to be times where others come in and he is rested etc to allow other players to show what they can do, these Nation league matches are perfect for that
It’s just a discussion on a forum 🤷‍♂️

PaulMdj

Visit site

As for Kane

The only, slight disagreement with what you’ve said is the comment about the Nations League, as of the next WC and the Euros the higher you finish the higher you are ranked for those competitions, also the top 4 Nations League finishers who do not qualify directly through the WC qualifiers also get a 2nd chance through play offs.

Obviously we’d like England to qualify through the group, but the Nations League does now have an impact on the bigger tournaments.

Maybe we should look to win the groups/qualify and then rest players.

Friendlies is the time to give others a chance.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree on all of the above. We need to play the next tier of teams at least to have an idea of what he would do. Not his fault, he doesn't control the fixture list.
No..GS stitched him up in that regard by getting relegated to the 2nd tier of the nations league.

At least he has lots of scope to play around with players/systems for the next 4 games whilst still in a reasonably competitive environment...throw in a couple of friendlies against teams like Netherlands/Germany/Belgium, who are all going through some sort of transition, and we should have a better idea of what he/we might be capable of.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The only, slight disagreement with what you’ve said is the comment about the Nations League, as of the next WC and the Euros the higher you finish the higher you are ranked for those competitions, also the top 4 Nations League finishers who do not qualify directly through the WC qualifiers also get a 2nd chance through play offs.

Obviously we’d like England to qualify through the group, but the Nations League does now have an impact on the bigger tournaments.

Maybe we should look to win the groups/qualify and then rest players.

Friendlies is the time to give others a chance.

The Euro nations are pretty much friendlies with a little bit added , they are perfect games to allow a manager to try things and bring players into the team

Gomes last night was a perfect example

PaulMdj

Visit site
The Euro nations are pretty much friendlies with a little bit added , they are perfect games to allow a manager to try things and bring players into the team

Gomes last night was a perfect example
Hence why I said slight disagreement, UEFA, imo, are trying to get the competition to take on a bit more importance.

I believe we should put enough value on it to keep us playing against the top teams.

We didn’t take it seriously enough last time and were rightly relegated.

Just need that balance between doing enough to stay in the top tier and using it to try different players.

Last edited: