The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Doesn’t matter how much is spent and what players arrive - Man Utd will be held back by a manager that is 1. Not good enough and 2. Wasn’t their first choice to stay

Some talented players in the squad but what is his style ? There appears to be no structure or pattern of play - a lot of headless chickens and no desire

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t matter how much is spent and what players arrive - Man Utd will be held back by a manager that is 1. Not good enough and 2. Wasn’t their first choice to stay

Some talented players in the squad but what is his style ? There appears to be no structure or pattern of play - a lot of headless chickens and no desire

Who was their first choice?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard to tell if Liverpool are playing excellent or united are that bad.
Thought Liverpool were a bit wasteful upfront.
Lots of times they made a bit of a mess of the final ball or it could and should have been more.

UTD did have a couple of chances but look very poor upfront
Rashford can’t even beat TAA,😉😉

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Thought Liverpool were a bit wasteful upfront.
Lots of times they made a bit of a mess of the final ball or it could and should have been more.

UTD did have a couple of chances but look very poor upfront
Rashford can’t even beat TAA,😉😉

It should have been 5 or 6 tbh

Need to be a bit more clinical

IMG_8540.jpeg

😂

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
One of the multiple managers they were speaking to over the summer - Tuchel for one , Pochettino, De Zerbi etc

But, having spoken to those managers, INEOS decided ten Hag was the man they wanted to stick with. He might not have been their first choice going into that process, but by the end of it he must have been. He’s still there, after all.

Today was bad. No hiding from it. But against Brighton I thought there were positives. We looked a lot more solid for most of that game. And even today, despite a shambolic last hour, we conceded nowhere near the number of shots we were giving up every week last year. Until they were overrun because of the carnage in front of them, I thought de Ligt and Martinez coped pretty well with what was coming their way.

But if you’re playing a top team you CANNOT concede possession like United did for all three goals. You simply can’t. The big problem is what sits immediately in front of the centre back pairing and, for too long, it’s been weak. A really soft centre. Casemiro was shockingly bad today. I genuinely don’t think you will see that with Ugarte, which is why he has been the top target since June.

I’m not especially happy, but I’m not going to get hysterical after one game. I’ll wait until de Ligt has his feet under the table, Ugarte is playing, Hojlund and Shaw are fit, and the manager at long last does the right thing and sees what the rest of us do - that being that Marcus Rashford is nowhere near worth a starting place.

I think ten Hag has until Christmas. If there’s no discernible improvement by then, given the new faces, then he’s toast.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
But, having spoken to those managers, INEOS decided ten Hag was the man they wanted to stick with. He might not have been their first choice going into that process, but by the end of it he must have been. He’s still there, after all.

Today was bad. No hiding from it. But against Brighton I thought there were positives. We looked a lot more solid for most of that game. And even today, despite a shambolic last hour, we conceded nowhere near the number of shots we were giving up every week last year. Until they were overrun because of the carnage in front of them, I thought de Ligt and Martinez coped pretty well with what was coming their way.

But if you’re playing a top team you CANNOT concede possession like United did for all three goals. You simply can’t. The big problem is what sits immediately in front of the centre back pairing and, for too long, it’s been weak. A really soft centre. Casemiro was shockingly bad today. I genuinely don’t think you will see that with Ugarte, which is why he has been the top target since June.

I’m not especially happy, but I’m not going to get hysterical after one game. I’ll wait until de Ligt has his feet under the table, Ugarte is playing, Hojlund and Shaw are fit, and the manager at long last does the right thing and sees what the rest of us do - that being that Marcus Rashford is nowhere near worth a starting place.

I think ten Hag has until Christmas. If there’s no discernible improvement by then, given the new faces, then he’s toast.

He is still there because I believe they were left with little choice - Tuchel and co turning them down imo

For me I don’t see De Ligt being the answer- he didn’t pull up trees in Italy and then again in Germany, he isn’t the player that was built up at Ajax

And with Ugarte - again why did he last just a year at PSG before they looked to find a way to get rid

But time will tell on both

Even with those players there is still no style of play , and it wasn’t just against us - poor against Fulham , poor against Brighton -I don’t see things getting much better in any sort of consistent manner , they will get the odd result but they seem miles from top 4

Said in the summer when oppo fans think it’s great that ETH was staying that speak volumes

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
He is still there because I believe they were left with little choice - Tuchel and co turning them down imo

For me I don’t see De Ligt being the answer- he didn’t pull up trees in Italy and then again in Germany, he isn’t the player that was built up at Ajax

And with Ugarte - again why did he last just a year at PSG before they looked to find a way to get rid

But time will tell on both

Even with those players there is still no style of play , and it wasn’t just against us - poor against Fulham , poor against Brighton -I don’t see things getting much better in any sort of consistent manner , they will get the odd result but they seem miles from top 4

Said in the summer when oppo fans think it’s great that ETH was staying that speak volumes

Oh, come on. Don’t just focus on the fact Ugarte only lasted a year at PSG as being indicative of him not being good enough. His playing style is at complete odds with that of the manager. Luis Enrique wants his sides to pass the opposition to death - that just isn’t Ugarte’s style.

Not every player suits every manager - think di Maria and LVG. The bottom line is that Ugarte is one of the best there is at what he does. And what he does is precisely what United so obviously need.

As regards de Ligt, I’m happy that we will now have a choice of centre backs to play alongside Martinez. That position is no longer the massive headache it was last season. He’s no world beater, perhaps, but it’s about how he fits into the defensive unit, and I think the fella will do just fine.

Style of play is a problem for sure, and in that respect I think Mount’s injury is an issue. The signs have been that ten Hag wants to play a high press, something Mount is really good at. It’s certainly a style which Ugarte is suited to. But it’s one you cannot play with Casemiro at the heart of the midfield, which is perhaps why it still looks a mess.

The style will hopefully become clear when he has the players he wants in the positions he wants them. If he gets a settled first team, and there is still no discernible style, then the calls for ten Hag to go will be deafening. And at that point I will not oppose them.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Oh, come on. Don’t just focus on the fact Ugarte only lasted a year at PSG as being indicative of him not being good enough. His playing style is at complete odds with that of the manager. Luis Enrique wants his sides to pass the opposition to death - that just isn’t Ugarte’s style.

Not every player suits every manager - think di Maria and LVG. The bottom line is that Ugarte is one of the best there is at what he does. And what he does is precisely what United so obviously need.

As regards de Ligt, I’m happy that we will now have a choice of centre backs to play alongside Martinez. That position is no longer the massive headache it was last season. He’s no world beater, perhaps, but it’s about how he fits into the defensive unit, and I think the fella will do just fine.

Style of play is a problem for sure, and in that respect I think Mount’s injury is an issue. The signs have been that ten Hag wants to play a high press, something Mount is really good at. It’s certainly a style which Ugarte is suited to. But it’s one you cannot play with Casemiro at the heart of the midfield, which is perhaps why it still looks a mess.

The style will hopefully become clear when he has the players he wants in the positions he wants them. If he gets a settled first team, and there is still no discernible style, then the calls for ten Hag to go will be deafening. And at that point I will not oppose them.

It’s his 3rd season now and he still hasn’t got a style of play where people can see what’s happening

If you looked at todays game and it was one managers 3rd game and one managers 3rd season after bringing in 15 players plus you would think it was Liverpool with the manager in his 3rd season

Can understand the want to be positive after a decade of disappointment but I really can’t see Utd getting anywhere near the top 4 or even top 6 and a lot of it is down to a manager being way out of his depth

Any manager worth their salt can get a Man Utd team up for the Liverpool match at home he couldn’t manage that - not bad for the self proclaimed second most successful manager in the last two years

Last edited: