The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Having watched it a number of times Rice did very little, he got up and walked away, he did not block the free kick, it was a joke, I do not want any player even a Liverpool player red carded for that sort of rubbish. Your comment is poo9r and laced with tinted glasses and league positions and not the reality of what occured.
I get where you are coming from. It is probably a yellow card by letter of law, but mainly because this is the soft game we watch these days, where a yellow card has to be given for everything.

For me, it was a nothing offence. No one was getting injured. I'm not sure it was stopping a dangerous quick free kick, as I don't think there was any player running down the wing to get on end of it? Guys at club today we're saying the guy who was trying to take the kick was probably only hitting it quick so he could follow through and kick Rice, rather than genuinely trying to make a pass. Not seen it enough to know if that looked to be possible. Anyway, ball was moving so would have been an illegal free kick.

So, if I was Rice, I'd be kicking myself as you've given the ref a choice to make. But, I'd also wish referees were allowed to use a touch of common sense in those situations.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was gamesmanship of the highest order. The fella bought a cheap foul, rolled the ball into the back of rice. Yards from where the foul took place. Rice took the bate and nudged the ball away. Defender pretends to be looking up the line and boots rice once the ball is moved.

An absolute pantomime which rice fell for hook line and sinker.

It could have been sorted out with a few words but the ref also bought the nonsense.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get where you are coming from. It is probably a yellow card by letter of law, but mainly because this is the soft game we watch these days, where a yellow card has to be given for everything.

For me, it was a nothing offence. No one was getting injured. I'm not sure it was stopping a dangerous quick free kick, as I don't think there was any player running down the wing to get on end of it? Guys at club today we're saying the guy who was trying to take the kick was probably only hitting it quick so he could follow through and kick Rice, rather than genuinely trying to make a pass. Not seen it enough to know if that looked to be possible. Anyway, ball was moving so would have been an illegal free kick.

So, if I was Rice, I'd be kicking myself as you've given the ref a choice to make. But, I'd also wish referees were allowed to use a touch of common sense in those situations.

I applaud it. We need refs to follow the law. It filters down to non league and the kids game. When I did my ref course they wanted us to clamp down on the no swearing rule.. but the instructor said it shouldn't be the non league to do. Premier league refs needed to (in his words) send Rooney off for swearing at the ref then the shockwave would filter down

Same with diving

Ban someone for 5 games for diving I'd wager after a month it stops

Swango1980

Visit site
I applaud it. We need refs to follow the law. It filters down to non league and the kids game. When I did my ref course they wanted us to clamp down on the no swearing rule.. but the instructor said it shouldn't be the non league to do. Premier league refs needed to (in his words) send Rooney off for swearing at the ref then the shockwave would filter down

Same with diving

Fair do's.

Personally, I'm not for everything they do. I like games with a bit of needle, players getting a little riled at times in the heat of comp. Obviously, anything that risks injury, obviously stops a dangerous quick set piece, time wasting, obvious diving, etc should be booked. But the incident like Rice's yesterday, I'd be perfectly happy no yellow card it required.

I always feel football is getting closer and closer to watching 2 computer controlled teams on the PlayStation play against each other, as they try and sanitise it that much

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
It’s a clear yellow card all day long , rice knew what he was doing , it’s the sort of stuff the prem wanted to get rid of , the same as waving imaginary cards etc
The issue is the refs need to be consistent when doing it

PaulMdj

Visit site

Same with diving

If the Ref followed the law then the free kick was incorrectly taken, the ball was moving when the defender went to take it.
Can’t have it both ways.🤷‍♂️

PaulMdj

Visit site
It’s a clear yellow card all day long , rice knew what he was doing , it’s the sort of stuff the prem wanted to get rid of , the same as waving imaginary cards etc
The issue is the refs need to be consistent when doing it
So did the defender as well!
Totally agree Rice was foolish, but most players push the boundaries.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes the defender knew what he was doing and took advantage of Rice giving the ball a quick kick - rice had a quick sneaky at him as well
Not what I meant, the ball is moving when the defender started to take the kick, a rolling ball normally means the kick has to be retaken.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another comment based on supporting a top team and not the reality of watching football. Would you agree or be happy with any City player being sent off for that rubbish. it's a game of football not this pathetic stuff, really, you must have been watching foiotballf or years, it's nothing we want any player being sent off for, get those blue glasses off and look at football in general. Absolute joke.

He wasn't sent off for that, he was yellow carded for that.
He was already on a yellow, therefore then got a red.
He was sent off for commiting two yellow card offences, that's the rules!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see that complete twonk Gary Neville has now been moaning that PSR rules need changing - because Manyoo have had a transfer window that’s been affected by it.

Yeah well said Gary. Didn’t hear you speaking up when the likes of Forest and Everton were suffering because of it. Yet now it’s affecting the club you support, suddenly it’s an issue huh? Prat.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I see that complete twonk Gary Neville has now been moaning that PSR rules need changing - because Manyoo have had a transfer window that’s been affected by it.

Yeah well said Gary. Didn’t hear you speaking up when the likes of Forest and Everton were suffering because of it. Yet now it’s affecting the club you support, suddenly it’s an issue huh? Prat.

Wasn’t he referring primarily to the situation at Newcastle? I didn’t hear his comments but the summary I read suggested he was bemoaning the fact that PSR was holding Newcastle back from competing.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wasn’t he referring primarily to the situation at Newcastle? I didn’t hear his comments but the summary I read suggested he was bemoaning the fact that PSR was holding Newcastle back from competing.

He was trying (and failing) to be clever. Mentioned that it had affected Man Utd but then went on to talk about it affecting Newcastle, as if that was his primary concern. He was just using Newcastle to push his own agenda.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the Ref followed the law then the free kick was incorrectly taken, the ball was moving when the defender went to take it.
Can’t have it both ways.🤷‍♂️

Not sure I follow the logic? Are you saying it should be a red to the Brighton player because the ball was moving so he just kicked rice rather than the free kick? (That was retaken anyways) The ball only seems to be moving because rice flicks it away

Swango1980

Visit site

He's been saying the PSR rules need changing for years

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure I follow the logic? Are you saying it should be a red to the Brighton player because the ball was moving so he just kicked rice rather than the free kick? (That was retaken anyways) The ball only seems to be moving because rice flicks it away

At no point is the ball stationery after the free kick is given.