The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Toney going to Saudi finishes any international aspirations he had , he could have played this last season with Brentford and then go for free to any club

But I wonder how many clubs avoided him because of his cost - age and the obvious betting issues
I think Toney was surplus to England requirements long term as soon as he got done for the betting. Add in the cost and age and it makes him a very unlikely choice barring a massive run of injuries or suspensions that I can't see happening and even then I can see Cairney or the new manager giving other players a chance

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Toney was surplus to England requirements long term as soon as he got done for the betting. Add in the cost and age and it makes him a very unlikely choice barring a massive run of injuries or suspensions that I can't see happening and even then I can see Cairney or the new manager giving other players a chance
Eh? He was literally subbed on during the Euros and assisted a goal didn't he? As well as scoring in a penalty shoot-out. If he remained in the Premier League it would be a straight fight between him, Watkins and Solanke for being Kane's primary understudy. We're not blessed with many striking options. Solanke has age on his side but he's just got himself injured already.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Eh? He was literally subbed on during the Euros and assisted a goal didn't he? As well as scoring in a penalty shoot-out. If he remained in the Premier League it would be a straight fight between him, Watkins and Solanke for being Kane's primary understudy. We're not blessed with many striking options. Solanke has age on his side but he's just got himself injured already.

No doubt that Toney was very much still in England reckoning if he stayed in the Prem and was playing regularly

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I disagree and I think with a new regime it would have been an easy opportunity to leave him out. If he does go to Saudi then I think it is even easier for him not to get picked

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree and I think with a new regime it would have been an easy opportunity to leave him out. If he does go to Saudi then I think it is even easier for him not to get picked
Assuming he was going to leave Brentford either way, if he got a move to Arsenal or Chelsea he would absolutely in the England picture. But of course if he goes to Saudi that should be the end of that. Like we said when Henderson went there - you can't judge a players form when they're playing against sub-standard opposition most weeks.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I do wonder if United’s relatively smooth transfer window and Newcastle’s problematic one are perhaps testament to the work that Dan Ashworth does.
I'm not sure that Ashworth had as much dealings in transfers as people thought he might have done....he was more of an infrastructure development sort of guy.

I think the moving on of Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi has had more of an effect, as they were both very close to Howe and also did a lot of work smoothing out issues when snags were hit in transfer dealings.

Morfeen75

Visit site
It is disappointing seeing talented footballers like Ivan Toney heading over to Saudi just for the money. The standard of football is nowhere near the prem.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is disappointing seeing talented footballers like Ivan Toney heading over to Saudi just for the money. The standard of football is nowhere near the prem.
Is there any difference between a player going to Saudi for huge money over going to a PL club just to sit on the bench/reserves then leave a few years later to go to a lower division club?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there any difference between a player going to Saudi for huge money over going to a PL club just to sit on the bench/reserves then leave a few years later to go to a lower division club?
I don't think many players willingly to move to sit on the bench. Usually they are confident/arrogant enough to think they will be starting at the new club.

Swango1980

Visit site
Glad I picked Toney in my Draft Fantasy Football side. There was me thinking he'd get a move to one of the top clubs, and score a few goals.

That being said, how did he play after his return from betting? Think he scored a few early on, and then the goals dried up. Has that been a concern to other PL clubs buying him? Had he scored fairly regularly until the end of the season, would they have been fighting over him?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad I picked Toney in my Draft Fantasy Football side. There was me thinking he'd get a move to one of the top clubs, and score a few goals.

That being said, how did he play after his return from betting? Think he scored a few early on, and then the goals dried up. Has that been a concern to other PL clubs buying him? Had he scored fairly regularly until the end of the season, would they have been fighting over him?
Can't be easy to get match sharpness back when all you've done is train for eight months. He did seem to do it backwards though, as you suggest: 4 goals in his first 5 games back, but then never scored for them in the rest of the campaign. Brentford were in a poor run of form though. He scored once in an England game during that time (a penalty).

Morfeen75

Visit site
Yes. Huge difference. Some players like to challenge themselves and at least try to improve. Using Kalvin Phillips as an example, A great player in a average Leeds team but never really got the chance at City to improve.

Toney hasnt tried to challenge himself and experienced European football for example. I think its poor decision making for any player in their prime who choose to go to Saudi over another prem club/europe.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
@PJ87 surprised to see Ward Prowse leave? 7 goals, 11 assists, according to the stats pages. A more than useful player to be moving on.
I understand it, we have so many midfielders he was slipping down the pecking order. The stats flatter him btw, he has not been much of an influence for ages now. The deal is for one year with no option to buy so it’s not like West Ham have binned him, just sent him off hoping he regains his form.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@PJ87 surprised to see Ward Prowse leave? 7 goals, 11 assists, according to the stats pages. A more than useful player to be moving on.

Has he left now? I believe it means solar is coming in who the manager wants. JWP from what I can gather was very much Moyes signing, new manager favouring a different style and skillset .. I agree that he could have been useful with the amount of games but there seems to be many ahead of him.

Least then can't see him and soucek together in midfield it never worked unfortunately and it seems soucek is firmly in the managers plans

Aguard looks set to be off as is cornet (both loans) that's a massive Moyes signings clear out by sounds