The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I enjoyed the first half performance last night. The best England have played for a while. The second half reverted to type a little, when we became very slow and ponderous again, but the changes made a difference.

It would now be lovely to see Southgate try and catch Spain unawares on Sunday. Alas, I’m not holding my breath.

Great to be in a final. But I’m not changing my opinion as regards the manager. Were there in spite of him, not because of him.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I enjoyed the first half performance last night. The best England have played for a while. The second half reverted to type a little, when we became very slow and ponderous again, but the changes made a difference.

It would now be lovely to see Southgate try and catch Spain unawares on Sunday. Alas, I’m not holding my breath.

Great to be in a final. But I’m not changing my opinion as regards the manager. Were there in spite of him, not because of him.
Nobody is changing their opinion on him. We all want him gone, hopefully he’ll resign on a high monday, but come on mate, his choice of substitution last night was the difference, before last night he’d only given Watkins 1 chance and given Toney the other games.

He has to be given some credit, nobody is this lucky.😬

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

This is my feeling too, I think we have rode our luck and hope it continues!

We are capable of scoring every time we commit to attack, unfortunately with a nervous defence I think we look like conceding every time too 😆

Golfnut1957

Visit site
So, the WORST possible outcome he can achieve is losing in the final to the best team in the Tournament. 😁

Blimey. Still they moan. 🤣
And if they beat the best team in the tournament, then they will still moan.

The world over, there is no changing someone's mind on a message board once they have stated their original premise. Despite any evidence to the contrary.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
And if they beat the best team in the tournament, then they will still moan.

The world over, there is no changing someone's mind on a message board once they have stated their original premise. Despite any evidence to the contrary.

Welcome to the world of football

It’s very rare that football fans are completely happy

That’s the way the sport works and a lot of lot will based on people’s expectations

I’m not an England fan but when I watch a game I want to see good attacking football and a team going for it at pace and really trying to entertain

Some won’t care and will just want the right result

England regardless of performances and the path have reached the final of a major tournament, in the past teams have played well but fell short

When Greece won in 04 it was horrific football but they didn’t care

If England win on Saturday then people won’t care about performance - they will celebrate the win and rightly so

If Spain win then they will celebrate the win - regardless of performance

If England lose then it will be dissected to death as it always is - but the poor performances will be highlighted In that

Everything has fallen into Englands lap to get where they are - they now need to step up significantly to get past Spainb

PaulMdj

Visit site
Welcome to the world of football

It’s very rare that football fans are completely happy

That’s the way the sport works and a lot of lot will based on people’s expectations

I’m not an England fan but when I watch a game I want to see good attacking football and a team going for it at pace and really trying to entertain

Some won’t care and will just want the right result

England regardless of performances and the path have reached the final of a major tournament, in the past teams have played well but fell short

When Greece won in 04 it was horrific football but they didn’t care

If England win on Saturday then people won’t care about performance - they will celebrate the win and rightly so

If Spain win then they will celebrate the win - regardless of performance

If England lose then it will be dissected to death as it always is - but the poor performances will be highlighted In that

Everything has fallen into Englands lap to get where they are - they now need to step up significantly to get past Spainb
Really! Every game since the group stages we’ve been told the opposition is better, yet we’ve remained favourites at the bookies.🤷‍♂️

Why when those teams have failed to turn up, or, we’ve been better than them is no credit given?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Really! Every game since the group stages we’ve been told the opposition is better, yet we’ve remained favourites at the bookies.🤷‍♂️

Why when those teams have failed to turn up, or, we’ve been better than them is no credit given?

Yes favourites because of the route to the final - but thats bookies

Spain have had to play Germany and France to get to the final

England have been on the more favourable side of the draw and at times have struggled to get past

Slovakia , Switzerland and even last night it was a battle against Holland who squeezed into the KO’s

But that’s tournament football and teams need to take advantage of those sort of breaks

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes favourites because of the route to the final - but thats bookies

Spain have had to play Germany and France to get to the final

England have been on the more favourable side of the draw and at times have struggled to get past

Slovakia , Switzerland and even last night it was a battle against Holland who squeezed into the KO’s

But that’s tournament football and teams need to take advantage of those sort of breaks
Because France and the Netherlands messed up in their group! You can’t use that against England, we were favourites before the tournament started when we could of played against any of the big teams.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Because France and the Netherlands messed up in their group! You can’t use that against England, we were favourites before the tournament started when we could of played against any of the big teams.

No one is using anything “against” any team

England have had a more favourable route to the final - it’s not a bad thing , it’s just a fact and so far they have took advantage of that ( a bit stumbling at times ) and have a chance to win the tournament if they can step up their level because they are now facing the team that is clearly the outstanding team in the tour

It’s tournament football - there will be shocks and some teams will find things working in their favour at times

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spain will attack us there’s no dought.
That might help as we have struggled to break teams down who sit back.
The Duch sat back a bit in the second half and that’s why our performance dropped. Imo.

I just hope we have a good go and play well on Sunday.

Not a GS fan but I have to give him credit for getting us to the final and wish him the best.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I for one am very happy!

Was listening to the Peter Crouch podcast the other day. He made the point that we really need to get a win over the line in a major tournament. Once we do that and exorcise the demons of failure, it's possible we could dominate for a few years with the players we have, plus the ones coming through. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 29109

Spain will attack us there’s no dought.
That might help as we have struggled to break teams down who sit back.
The Duch sat back a bit in the second half and that’s why our performance dropped. Imo.

I just hope we have a good go and play well on Sunday.

Not a GS fan but I have to give him credit for getting us to the final and wish him the best.
The Dutch sat back, then they tried to attack us. They very quickly found out we are quite good if they leave us space to attack. So they went back to sitting back and hoping to counter.

Spain attacking will suit England just fine.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I for one am very happy!

Was listening to the Peter Crouch podcast the other day. He made the point that we really need to get a win over the line in a major tournament. Once we do that, it's possible we could dominate for a few years with the players we have, plus the ones coming through. Thoughts?
I think dominate is tough to claim but we can certainly compete strongly for the immediate future, in the same way France has in recent years. No reason why not with the players that are there and also coming through. Any older players have replacements coming up behind them but the age group is strong. Can't argue with the winning mentality point, it does make a difference. Sunday would be huge if England can do it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I for one am very happy!

Was listening to the Peter Crouch podcast the other day. He made the point that we really need to get a win over the line in a major tournament. Once we do that, it's possible we could dominate for a few years with the players we have, plus the ones coming through. Thoughts?
The kids in this country havnt seen the men’s team win anything.
Winning breeds winners imo.

When’s the last time we saw a load of kids just playing footy in the park.
Never by me now in the park. Jumpers for goal posts not organised games I mean.
When I moved here 40 yrs ago they were there every day after school.

We need to win it’s our time imo.