The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
I criticised Southgate in the groups (along with everyone else) but to give him some credit, I think the change of formation has worked well. The key thing it's done is to split Foden and Bellingham up. When Foden was on the left drifting inside, Bellingham in the middle drifting left, they were practically bumping into each other. In the new system they're operating more on half the pitch each which gives them each a bit of space. And Foden often looks more dangerous cutting in off the right. It also means when Kane drops deeper he is more in-between them rather than everyone in the same spot. Saka is a great worker so moving to wing back hasn't phased him or nullified his attacking input at all. It was only a subtle change of shape but it had a big impact on the fluidity.
Absolutely agree, although I’d of taken Bellingham off tonight rather than Foden, but the genius Gareth knew better.😂😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely agree, although I’d of taken Bellingham off tonight rather than Foden, but the genius Gareth knew better.😂😂

Foden looked brilliant tonight. It's like he was in his correct position

Bellingham looks very greedy and the way he plays ATM it seems him and kane want to occupy the same space. One of them needs to be making that run into the box

That Palmer ball to Watkins only happened because the run had been made. If kane was on he would have been same position as Bellingham in no threat to the Netherlands

PaulMdj

Visit site
Foden looked brilliant tonight. It's like he was in his correct position

Bellingham looks very greedy and the way he plays ATM it seems him and kane want to occupy the same space. One of them needs to be making that run into the box

That Palmer ball to Watkins only happened because the run had been made. If kane was on he would have been same position as Bellingham in no threat to the Netherlands
That’s if, buts and maybe’s, if Foden had stayed on he mightn’t of made that pass to Watkins. If Toney had come on he may not of made the run

Using the goal against Kane is disingenious, just celebrate a great pass and goal rather than using it as a stick to beat Kane.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s if, buts and maybe’s, if Foden had stayed on he mightn’t of made that pass to Watkins. If Toney had come on he may not of made the run

Using the goal against Kane is disingenious, just celebrate a great pass and goal rather than using it as a stick to beat Kane.

Funny that soon as Kane goes off we win our first game in 90 mins since the first group game. It's almost like when we have 11 men on the field rather than having to carry one we play more fluid. Whilst that can be leveled at kane it's equally Bellingham. Both just want to drop to that number 10 role .. Bellingham likes to do as many turns as possible before passing and kane just passes it to a winger to cross to where he should be.

One of them has to be taken off for the good of the team. If only one of them thought I know I'll go in the box whilst this is happening.

RichA

Visit site
Because it wasn't a foul.
In fact, if you watch it again, if a foul was given it would be against Kane.
I've watched it several times now from various angles. It doesn't get any less like a foul on Kane. He shoots cleanly, then his foot is met by the defenders boot which is coming studs first having completely missed the ball. Textbook late challenge after the ball has gone. Which is presumably how the professional international referees saw it too.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've watched it several times now from various angles. It doesn't get any less like a foul on Kane. He shoots cleanly, then his foot is met by the defenders boot which is coming studs first having completely missed the ball. Textbook late challenge after the ball has gone. Which is presumably how the professional international referees saw it too.

To be fair with this ref he prob go a ping that £50 had landed in his account

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
100% a Pen.... really hard to believe there's any doubt about this!!

PaulMdj

Visit site
Funny that soon as Kane goes off we win our first game in 90 mins since the first group game. It's almost like when we have 11 men on the field rather than having to carry one we play more fluid. Whilst that can be leveled at kane it's equally Bellingham. Both just want to drop to that number 10 role .. Bellingham likes to do as many turns as possible before passing and kane just passes it to a winger to cross to where he should be.

One of them has to be taken off for the good of the team. If only one of them thought I know I'll go in the box whilst this is happening.
If it’s that obvious why in the previous games has Toney come on?

It’s a squad game and tonight, once again, the substitutions worked.👍🏻

RichA

Visit site
To be fair with this ref he prob go a ping that £50 had landed in his account
To be fair the other way, there's evidence the ref did that once. I've seen evidence of Kane cheating to get a penalty about a hundred times. But not tonight.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it’s that obvious why in the previous games has Toney come on?

It’s a squad game and tonight, once again, the substitutions worked.👍🏻

Our subs work better than the first team because we have players who do something different.

Toney comes on with kane? Brilliant, kane can drop deep all he wants because Toney provides that player to hit in the box.

Watkins comes on? Brilliant he can provide that run in the box

If we must persist with kane put him in the number 10 that he wants to play and get a striker on with him.

Red devil

Visit site
Joking aside, there were 3 or four times during this game he was not in our around the six yard box when balls went in the box. Shots from outside the box and a penalty from a bouncing ball.
I can understand one bad game in a tournament, but he has had a bad tournament and you cannot carry anyone in a final. I mentioned to Missis T that Foden and Bellingham were putting the yards in for Kane.
I wasn't joking. Kane has been dreadful. Portugal will tell you all about carrying a player.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wouldn't want Southgate as manager at Utd. However, tonight I will not slate him. Felt he left things late again, but he ultimately brought big players like Kane and Foden off, and Watkins scored the winner. Plus, England looked a lot better in 1st half.

Perhaps playing against better teams who don't defend deep suit England (in that case, England should thrash Spain). But, it was a good night for England and Southgate

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I wouldn't want Southgate as manager at Utd. However, tonight I will not slate him. Felt he left things late again, but he ultimately brought big players like Kane and Foden off, and Watkins scored the winner. Plus, England looked a lot better in 1st half.

Perhaps playing against better teams who don't defend deep suit England (in that case, England should thrash Spain). But, it was a good night for England and Southgate
Koemans assesment of the second half summed up Southgates lack of managerial skills. He said “ we dropped an extra player into midfield at half time to keep Foden quiet”. How did Southgate respond to that change. He didn’t. We saw how the second half went. He never looked to change what we did. His substitutions were like for like change, a left back for a left back/right back. A forward for a forward, a right winger for a right winger. He got right what half of this forum was saying 20 minutes earlier which came after a couple of Holland scares. Those Holland scares could of been goals.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thought it was a more cohesive performance but it also showed to me that Southgate is riding his luck. I agree with Tashy that he didn't make changes that influenced how the Dutch were playing and simply went like for like and fortunately we got away with it. That said a great finish by Watkins and so onwards and now in with a chance of making history

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So pleased for Gareth and the team that we’re into the final. Talk about slow burners as far as this tournament is concerned!

We go in as underdogs against Spain on Sunday - which is a situation I think suits us perfectly to be honest.

Amazon will be doing a roaring trade today on Spain flags dispatched to addresses in Scotland!

Swango1980

Visit site
Koemans assesment of the second half summed up Southgates lack of managerial skills. He said “ we dropped an extra player into midfield at half time to keep Foden quiet”. How did Southgate respond to that change. He didn’t. We saw how the second half went. He never looked to change what we did. His substitutions were like for like change, a left back for a left back/right back. A forward for a forward, a right winger for a right winger. He got right what half of this forum was saying 20 minutes earlier which came after a couple of Holland scares. Those Holland scares could of been goals.
True. There was nothing hugely impressive in what Southgate did, except that the very fact he even dared to make subs before the 94th minute felt a huge moment, if you compare Southgate to his previous decision making. It wasn't a high bar.

I do have a feeling that both the FA and Southgate will be open to him having another crack at a World Cup, regardless of the result on Sunday (unless maybe England get hammered 5 nil or something). As depressing as that sounds to many

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How’s about sticking ALL negative thoughts and views into a box called For After..just enjoy the fact that England are in the Final and simply have faith that Southgate knows what he is doing - that the players trust in him and know what they have to do.

Just a thought from a bystander…😘

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
True. There was nothing hugely impressive in what Southgate did, except that the very fact he even dared to make subs before the 94th minute felt a huge moment, if you compare Southgate to his previous decision making. It wasn't a high bar.

I do have a feeling that both the FA and Southgate will be open to him having another crack at a World Cup, regardless of the result on Sunday (unless maybe England get hammered 5 nil or something). As depressing as that sounds to many
I do hope not. I think it would be an ideal stage to finish his tenure on but going on for another tournament would be a backward step. Time to bring in a manager with fresh ideas