The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I for one am very happy!

Was listening to the Peter Crouch podcast the other day. He made the point that we really need to get a win over the line in a major tournament. Once we do that and exorcise the demons of failure, it's possible we could dominate for a few years with the players we have, plus the ones coming through. Thoughts?

They need to dominate matches in a tournament first

The likes of Spain look like they are the ones that will go on to dominate with the players like they have and the ones that missed out

But they will compete against the best nations and with a manager with a different mindset could well be a very different team

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I for one am very happy!

Was listening to the Peter Crouch podcast the other day. He made the point that we really need to get a win over the line in a major tournament. Once we do that and exorcise the demons of failure, it's possible we could dominate for a few years with the players we have, plus the ones coming through. Thoughts?
I guess you could say the same about a lot of England sides in a number of sports. Many were scared to win and more scared to lose and that led to some dire performances trying to please everyone. If we can finally break the "curse" of not winning since 1966 think how much more belief there will be in teams of the future

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Dutch sat back, then they tried to attack us. They very quickly found out we are quite good if they leave us space to attack. So they went back to sitting back and hoping to counter.

Spain attacking will suit England just fine.

Spain press very very well and are good defensively, I don’t recall the other teams exploiting the space they leave as there isn’t much lol. Should be a good game if we can get some early confidence.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Dutch sat back, then they tried to attack us. They very quickly found out we are quite good if they leave us space to attack. So they went back to sitting back and hoping to counter.

Yes I agree.
But the defence will need to play well .
Stones won’t have time to slow everything down the way he has been doing.

Think the big thing is who plays left back against the young wonder boy.
That imo is the key to the game.
Trippier has done well and got us this far and deserves to start imo ,then Shaw second half when we kick on to win the game.

If only it was this easy 😉

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spain press very very well and are good defensively, I don’t recall the other teams exploiting the space they leave as there isn’t much lol. Should be a good game if we can get some early confidence.
Other teams didn’t have the talent we have going forward to exploite Spain.
I think Spain will think twice about opening up against us , might be wrong 😳
Expecting a tight game as Spain will give us room to play.

Hinges on how the defence plays imo they havnt really been tested by anyone yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I agree.
But the defence will need to play well .
Stones won’t have time to slow everything down the way he has been doing.

Think the big thing is who plays left back against the young wonder boy.
That imo is the key to the game.
Trippier has done well and got us this far and deserves to start imo ,then Shaw second half when we kick on to win the game.

If only it was this easy 😉
Wonder boy is very left footed so it may make sense to keep Trippier in to start as the youngster cuts in every time. Hopefully Tripper just stands there and take it off him with his stronger foot.

Williams v Walker on the other side could be a real cracker. I thought Williams did little in the semi but in previous rounds he was an absolute speed machine.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Think you are underestimating Spain there

Yes they will attack but then they have the best DM in world football to cover when they do in Rodri plus the work rate of Ruiz and the forward running of Olma

The one area where they aren’t strong is the striker but Morata does a great job for them

PaulMdj

Visit site
I know the most important stat in football is goals, however, despite having more possession against France, France had more shots, more shots on target, more clear cut chances, were stronger defensively and the French keeper made 0 saves. There were many similar stats against Germany.

In this tournament Spain have played by far the best football, but I really do believe they can be got at, let’s hope Spain have peaked and we are still on the up.

D-S

Visit site
The kids in this country havnt seen the men’s team win anything.
Winning breeds winners imo.

When’s the last time we saw a load of kids just playing footy in the park.
Never by me now in the park. Jumpers for goal posts not organised games I mean.
When I moved here 40 yrs ago they were there every day after school.

We need to win it’s our time imo.
40 years ago was 1984, you would have had to be 18 then to have been alive when England last won something. Kids playing in the park then had never seen England win.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
40 years ago was 1984, you would have had to be 18 then to have been alive when England last won something. Kids playing in the park then had never seen England win.
I qualify for seniors golf in a few months. I've never seen them win. My knees and back wont allow me to play in the park anymore but I can lend my jumper for a goalpost 😄

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm still in a weird place emotionally. So excited when Watkins scored but still not jumping around the room like a loony as I'd be in the past. I'm feeling the anticipation about Sunday already though so think it's going to be more stressful than the tournament so far...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I enjoyed the first half performance last night. The best England have played for a while. The second half reverted to type a little, when we became very slow and ponderous again, but the changes made a difference.

It would now be lovely to see Southgate try and catch Spain unawares on Sunday. Alas, I’m not holding my breath.

Great to be in a final. But I’m not changing my opinion as regards the manager. Were there in spite of him, not because of him.

We aren't there in spite of him. It's now where west ham fans like @Fade and Die have been for a while. Success but without style. Can't stand watching it

England look awful but since Southgate arrived we have one of the best records in tournaments

If he wins Sunday he will be the best England manager ever. There is no arguing with that. Just the style doesn't suit most

A change will prob happen, but at least with Southgate you know you will get far, grind those results out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm still in a weird place emotionally. So excited when Watkins scored but still not jumping around the room like a loony as I'd be in the past. I'm feeling the anticipation about Sunday already though so think it's going to be more stressful than the tournament so far...
Have to be honest it was rather wild in the golf club when the goal went in and I bet they were glad they decided to use plastic cups last night!!! It was straight afterwards and the anticipation of the final kicked in and so did the dread

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
EV40 years ago was 1984, you would have had to be 18 then to have been alive when England last won something. Kids playing in the park then had never seen England win.
I was 26 yrs old .
I saw England win the WC.
We played in the streets when I was young.
But now you just don’t see kids playing in the parks.