The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think scrapping it is a ridiculous throw toys out idea. It would be worse without it

Needs improving not scrapping

Don't want to put a % on it but isn't the vaste majority of issues not var related but actually ref competence related
Agree with that. Make the ref & linesman take more responsibility and just use it for the clear & obvious - if it can't be seen unless lines are drawn all over the place & they take 5 minutes to make a decision after viewing it in super slow-mo 50 times, it's not clear & obvious

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Quite a good read but like many a neutral football fan, emotion seems to have taken over from facts which deems most of what you have written as rubbish.
The owners of City are from Abu Dhabi, however 13% of the club is owned by a Chinese consortium. No different than Sir Jim buying into Utd. And talking of Chinese, a lot of investment and sponsorship comes from China. And to that matter from America and Puma.
Quote,

Manchester City have signed a £650million kit deal with Puma, one of the biggest commercial contracts in football history.

Have a Google and find out how many worldwide companies actually invest in City outside of Abu Dhabi
Once more you quote ownership of two clubs have been washed away by UEFA. So why quote that on a City discussion. It’s not old news. You could have mentioned it on a Utd forum. What is “to scared to take on those clubs inc Utd actually mean”. Or does UEFA know that its ruling was illegal. What exactly is illegal about a club or company trying to expand. Is there a really a conflict of interests.
You talk about the answer is simple abide by the rules. What exactly are these made up rules re FFP, Which are changing this year. Do you know that one of Citys complaints re the Premier league is that the Premier league tried to keep as much money as possible for the premier league teams rather than distribute some of its tv money to the rest of the football league. Yet the Premier league is holier than thou when it comes to other people spending money. Hypocrisy.
Do you know how many clubs have gone into administration since FFP was introduced. 14. It’s not working.
We have FFP, and yet City are spending £300 million improving the ground and area around City. But the Premier league allow that. Hypocrisy.

I lost a lot of intrest in football a few years back at the way it is run. FFP, VAR, UEFA, FIFA, Corruption in football. But what does my head in most in trying to defend a club who has put hundreds of millions into football and not taken it out. And that is supposed to be wrong. Hypocrisy.
A guy I used to play footie with was a massive City fan, season ticket holder at Maine Road and used to follow them all over the country, even in the old 2nd & 3rd divisions (as it allowed him to visit some of the smaller club grounds that he otherwise wouldn't get a chance to).Soon as the money came in, he lost all interest and never renewed his ST.
I'm with you, lost interest 4 or 5 years ago due to similar reasons. Also, I used to keep up more interest when my dad was alive, as it used to be the one thing that we could talk about - when he died, felt I didn't have to bother really. Couldn't even tell you the last full game I watched on TV. Likely won't watch any of the Euros either, as I just can't muster up any enthusiasm - the last Euros, I watched the 2nd half of the final & don't think I watched any of the last WC.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
. Bowen isn’t close to Grealish. And if you’re looking for a balance of games played in the Prem ‘v’ worn out after a hard season, I’d take Grealish first. TBH, in terms of balance I think this is Southgate’s only (minor) mistake.

I hope Bowen proves me wrong but, at present, I can’t see that happening. Bowen is a very decent journeyman but I’m not convinced at international level.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
. Bowen isn’t close to Grealish. And if you’re looking for a balance of games played in the Prem ‘v’ worn out after a hard season, I’d take Grealish first. TBH, in terms of balance I think this is Southgate’s only (minor) mistake.

I hope Bowen proves me wrong but, at present, I can’t see that happening. Bowen is a very decent journeyman but I’m not convinced at international level.
Well it's not his only minor error. Taking Shaw who won't even make the opening game is a mistake and on the balance of probablility wont stay fit. Taking Dunk, who has been poor recently in place fo Branthwaite is also a mistake, our defence is weak. I think your mistake is wearing those Southgate rose tinited glasses ;)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Me too. I really like Bowen. Way more direct. Jack needs more of that in his repertoire.

He has it, Pep's coached it out of him.

Jack just isn't the same player he was. He's won plenty and I'm sure has no personal regrets, he's missed out this year because he's not played much.

Eze and Palmer are more in form and are the future, I'm more than happy with the decision personally.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would but Bowen is very similar to a number of players already in the squads - Grealish is just a little bit different
Grealish imo is to slow .
He holds play up even when he has a pass on.
It’s the reason he gets so many fouls he just dosnt know when to release the ball.

Plus I think Eze is better going forward and is a better finisher.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well it's not his only minor error. Taking Shaw who won't even make the opening game is a mistake and on the balance of probablility wont stay fit. Taking Dunk, who has been poor recently in place fo Branthwaite is also a mistake, our defence is weak. I think your mistake is wearing those Southgate rose tinited glasses ;)

Not too many left backs around to go instead of Shaw which is an issue

And looks like Quansah is next in line before Branthwaite but I would have both with Branthwaite being more left footed

Both should be the two starting cbs for years to come

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not too many left backs around to go instead of Shaw which is an issue

And looks like Quansah is next in line before Branthwaite but I would have both with Branthwaite being more left footed

Both should be the two starting cbs for years to come
Just think it’s a couple of years early for both of them.
But it would do them good to be included for the future.

Both class but not quite international class yet.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with that. Make the ref & linesman take more responsibility and just use it for the clear & obvious - if it can't be seen unless lines are drawn all over the place & they take 5 minutes to make a decision after viewing it in super slow-mo 50 times, it's not clear & obvious

Their Comms were disgraceful on the Liverpool game for example. I'd be rightly pulled for that standard of Comms and it's not a billion pound game.

I always had immense respect for Webb as a referee and thought him coming in would improve the standard but just not seeing it ATM.

Var has made it too much ah DW let var make the call. A skill has been taken away and they need to work at getting it back but use var rightly as a tool

Clear up offside. Maybe finally bring in daylight rule. We all want more goals in games anyways

Just something

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Age shouldn’t matter - these guys are playing in the Prem and week in week out playing against better than what’s seen 99% internationally ,
Yes I agree with that but international footy is 90% mental.
We don’t have loads of CBs so why not ( change of mind there)😉
I would have Branthwaite in with another ( choose your CB)

I think GS is taking similar players to play a rigid system so any injury and he can slot a player in without disrupting the system.
I just hope it’s an attacking one😳

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Their Comms were disgraceful on the Liverpool game for example. I'd be rightly pulled for that standard of Comms and it's not a billion pound game.

I always had immense respect for Webb as a referee and thought him coming in would improve the standard but just not seeing it ATM.

Var has made it too much ah DW let var make the call. A skill has been taken away and they need to work at getting it back but use var rightly as a tool

Clear up offside. Maybe finally bring in daylight rule. We all want more goals in games anyways

Just something
Yes use the head as a reference point so it’s where your head is in relation to the defenders head.

You look down the line with your eyes in your head but you can’t tell if your foots 1/2” offside.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Just something
Agree with the comms thing. If they had a set procedure to go through it would make it quicker and more consistent. Just look at cricket and the process for reviewing LBW decisions. You hear the 3rd umpire using the same words and the same process whatever league or format. Surely it isn’t that difficult to do something similar in football

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grealish imo is to slow .
He holds play up even when he has a pass on.
It’s the reason he gets so many fouls he just dosnt know when to release the ball.

Plus I think Eze is better going forward and is a better finisher.

I was watching Eze on Monday night, reminded me a bit of Sterling, decent player but ran into too many blind alleys and tried to do far too much on his own. Grealish is a seriously classy player, retains possession with ease and doesn't give it away cheaply like most players do, brings other players into the move and knows that killer pass that can open teams up.
I'm also concerned about TAA in midfield, he seems to give the ball away far too cheaply and doesn't look comfortable when he's under pressure. Has he been one footed all his career? He seemed that way on Monday night.
I hope I'm proved wrong though...Come On Ingerlaaand :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with the comms thing. If they had a set procedure to go through it would make it quicker and more consistent. Just look at cricket and the process for reviewing LBW decisions. You hear the 3rd umpire using the same words and the same process whatever league or format. Surely it isn’t that difficult to do something similar in football

Seems too much engrained culture of "lads" rather than professionalism.

I mean like you say all other sports seem to be able to cope

Even explaining decisions to the captains like rugby doesn't seem to be able to take place. I get the players behave badly but still stamp it out. Few red cards for foul language to the ref and it will stop pretty quick

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was watching Eze on Monday night, reminded me a bit of Sterling, decent player but ran into too many blind alleys and tried to do far too much on his own. Grealish is a seriously classy player, retains possession with ease and doesn't give it away cheaply like most players do, brings other players into the move and knows that killer pass that can open teams up.
I'm also concerned about TAA in midfield, he seems to give the ball away far too cheaply and doesn't look comfortable when he's under pressure. Has he been one footed all his career? He seemed that way on Monday night.
I hope I'm proved wrong though...Come On Ingerlaaand :ROFLMAO:
Funny how we see things differently but Grealish dosnt do it for me.

On TAA GS was asking him to play killer passes over a parked bus it’s not easy.
In games where the op comes out a bit is where he shines.
Just hope GS gets his tactics right.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Newcastle'ss new kit launched today. Personally I don't care for it with its broader stripes....looks too much like a WBA kit of old.

I care even less for it when I read...Adult replica shirts retail at £80, with the "pro" version coming in at £110. Junior size replicas are £55.

Pro-version??????

I think the Pro-version comes with a voucher for £100 of free bets. ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

:ROFLMAO: Definitely not a Southgate fan. I think he’s made some choices that I’m surprised, but happy, about. Could he have done better? I doubt it. I think it’s splitting hairs to say any other player would be better in or out of the squad.

Yes, our defence is weak but it has been for a couple of years. The very top teams break it down too easily. But, again, I don’t think swapping any of them out for others would make any difference. As for Branthwaite? He does nowt for me. I guess that’s the subjectivity of choosing 20+ players, i.e. if we all chose our own squad there’ll be 30+ players between us all.