The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems odd to leave Maddison AND Grealish at home - two players who can offer something different from the bench and unlock a defence. While Saka, Palmer and Bowen basically do the same role, plus you've got Watkins AND Toney as striker back-up when one or other would have done fine. Bit of an odd selection, but at least he's broken from the old guard finally I suppose.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems odd to leave Maddison AND Grealish at home - two players who can offer something different from the bench and unlock a defence. While Saka, Palmer and Bowen basically do the same role, plus you've got Watkins AND Toney as striker back-up when one or other would have done fine. Bit of an odd selection, but at least he's broken from the old guard finally I
Bowen in Grealish out is absolutely bizarre, doesn't make sense to me at all

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bowen in Grealish out is absolutely bizarre, doesn't make sense to me at all

Bowen's numbers are fantastic considering he plays for us and not a top top side

He can create out of nothing for himself or set up others with his running

If you swapped Saka and Bowen clubs Bowen would shine where as whilst Saka is class especially for arsenal he wouldn't have the same effect as he does there.

Plus there is the ability to play either on the wing or up top, useful in games when changing system

Grealish still seems hungover from the champ league bender lol 😆

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm delighted for Bowen, but I'm not sure about leaving Grealish out.
He can hold up the ball and buy fouls. That's really useful for hanging onto a lead (which is all we ever do once we're ahead).
No slight intended, obviously he does other stuff as well, but no-one kills time as well as him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bowen's numbers are fantastic considering he plays for us and not a top top side

He can create out of nothing for himself or set up others with his running

If you swapped Saka and Bowen clubs Bowen would shine where as whilst Saka is class especially for arsenal he wouldn't have the same effect as he does there.

Plus there is the ability to play either on the wing or up top, useful in games when changing system

Grealish still seems hungover from the champ league bender lol 😆
Numbers don't really come into it when you have three left-footed right wingers and Bowen is the third best. I can't see him getting a minute on the pitch.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm delighted for Bowen, but I'm not sure about leaving Grealish out.
He can hold up the ball and buy fouls. That's really useful for hanging onto a lead (which is all we ever do once we're ahead).
No slight intended, obviously he does other stuff as well, but no-one kills time as well as him.
Yeah, it looks like he's just gone for all the pacey wingers rather than anyone who can offer something unique, like Grealish who probably has the best feet and control of all of them.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, it looks like he's just gone for all the pacey wingers rather than anyone who can offer something unique, like Grealish who probably has the best feet and control of all of them.
But was does this pace and control lead to? I know people like to quote the free kicks he wins but this usually doesn't lead to a goal (which is the only stat that matters). You could also say that the reason he gets fouls so often is that he is slow to read the game and hold the ball too long - you can use stats to prove anything after all ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think lack of game time is ultimately what cost Grealish. We all know what he's capable of but he's not really been a City fixture with only 20 PL appearances. Would he have made an impact off the bench. Very probably but I am sure Southgate feels the other options give him the same impact. Time will tell but like my club it is the defence that will make me nervous every time the opposition get into the final third

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think lack of game time is ultimately what cost Grealish. We all know what he's capable of but he's not really been a City fixture with only 20 PL appearances. Would he have made an impact off the bench. Very probably but I am sure Southgate feels the other options give him the same impact. Time will tell but like my club it is the defence that will make me nervous every time the opposition get into the final third
If that is the arguement......Luke Shaw??

Personally I dont think either should be there.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Odd thing about Grealish. He plays a chunk of the recent friendly. Bought fouls, held the ball up, beat players, played a beautifully delicate and pinpoint cross for TAA to score. Not sure he could have done much else.

Why even play him if you've already made your mind up? Give more playing time to someone new to the squad who you are going to take.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Is it a UEFA deadline for naming the 26 man squad? We have a friendly tonight and what if 1 of the 26 gets injured? Can he call up a replacement?
Surely he’d of been better waiting until tomorrow to name the squad if there was no deadline, or if there is a deadline, why didn’t the FA get both friendlies prior to it?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it a UEFA deadline for naming the 26 man squad? We have a friendly tonight and what if 1 of the 26 gets injured? Can he call up a replacement?
Surely he’d of been better waiting until tomorrow to name the squad if there was no deadline, or if there is a deadline, why didn’t the FA get both friendlies prior to it?

You can call up injury replacements right up until kick off in the first match but today is the squad deadline.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

It’s why Quansah is staying with the squad - Dunk potentially is touch and go

PaulMdj

Visit site
Well, for all that’s gone on in the past with him let’s hope Southgate can lead the Team on to winning the tournament.

That means he can retire on a high.🤞

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But was does this pace and control lead to? I know people like to quote the free kicks he wins but this usually doesn't lead to a goal (which is the only stat that matters). You could also say that the reason he gets fouls so often is that he is slow to read the game and hold the ball too long - you can use stats to prove anything after all ;)
It's a different option. If pacey wingers don't work what have we got on the bench to change it now? Someone like Grealish or Maddison gives you a different range of skills to test defenders in a different way. I've seen Grealish link up well with Kane plenty of times for England as well.

On a separate note, 26 players is massive, why do they keep putting it up?? When I was a lad it was 22. Do you really need more than two complete sides?? Just increasing the number of players that won't see the pitch. You could easily trim D.Henderson, Wharton, Bowen and Toney and be no worse off whatsoever.