The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a different option. If pacey wingers don't work what have we got on the bench to change it now? Someone like Grealish or Maddison gives you a different range of skills to test defenders in a different way. I've seen Grealish link up well with Kane plenty of times for England as well.

On a separate note, 26 players is massive, why do they keep putting it up?? When I was a lad it was 22. Do you really need more than two complete sides?? Just increasing the number of players that won't see the pitch. You could easily trim D.Henderson, Wharton, Bowen and Toney and be no worse off whatsoever.

26 was for COVID. They never lowered it

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never been a huge Grealish fan. When he was at Villa I used to call him a "show pony" (and he frustrates the hell out of me at City), BUT in all that time I was always very impressed how he played for England. I think he should be in the squad personally.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
26 was for COVID. They never lowered it
Ah of course. Yeah I think it's daft and unnecessary now. I'd have it back at 22, but only include 2 goalkeepers in that rather than 3, just allow a replacement goalie to be called up if one gets injured during the tournament.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a different option. If pacey wingers don't work what have we got on the bench to change it now? Someone like Grealish or Maddison gives you a different range of skills to test defenders in a different way. I've seen Grealish link up well with Kane plenty of times for England as well.

On a separate note, 26 players is massive, why do they keep putting it up?? When I was a lad it was 22. Do you really need more than two complete sides?? Just increasing the number of players that won't see the pitch. You could easily trim D.Henderson, Wharton, Bowen and Toney and be no worse off whatsoever.

Pacey wingers against a well organised solid defence do absolutely nothing imo, only very clever play, which Grealish is great at can unlock them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah of course. Yeah I think it's daft and unnecessary now. I'd have it back at 22, but only include 2 goalkeepers in that rather than 3, just allow a replacement goalie to be called up if one gets injured during the tournament.

Been over 22 for ages tho. The 2002 world cup was 23

Ironically this squad could have less players due to the ability for players to work in other roles..IE Trent plays RB and midfield, rice can play defensively, Bowen can play up top , Palmer aswell and such

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been over 22 for ages tho. The 2002 world cup was 23

Ironically this squad could have less players due to the ability for players to work in other roles..IE Trent plays RB and midfield, rice can play defensively, Bowen can play up top , Palmer aswell and such
I know. It's too many. 22 is two complete 11s so you can have one back-up for every position. That should be plenty.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
As they are all complaining about players being tired etc 26 man squads give the managers more scope to rest and rotate players through the tournaments- so they can’t grumble about tiredness

Had another a look at the make up of the squad

The Grealish one is a worthy debate when you do look at the squad

There is

Gordon
Eze
Saka
Bowen

As players for those wider areas

Then Foden and Watkins can play in those areas

The four guys all seem very similar

So whilst it’s right that players should get picked on form

You can see a point with one missing out and someone like Grealish being there

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As they are all complaining about players being tired etc 26 man squads give the managers more scope to rest and rotate players through the tournaments- so they can’t grumble about tiredness
Of course they can. Many have had long seasons in the PL, and European cups plus meaningless money boosting friendlies and internationals. Players never get a meaningful break

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think 23 is perfect . 2 complete 11s plus a spare keeper . Which what it was supposed to be wasn't it?
Yeah that's fine too. As I said before though, you don't really need to take 3 keepers, you can just give permission to call up a replacement if one gets injured.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah that's fine too. As I said before though, you don't really need to take 3 keepers, you can just give permission to call up a replacement if one gets injured.
Think it's more for the players though, Trafford for example will no doubt go on a well earned holiday now. Time with the family etc. imagine calling him to cut it short. Yes most prob would but then in this day and age have they been eating well etc .. keeping that keeper with the squad. Moral, team work, training. Fitness etc

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Newcastle'ss new kit launched today. Personally I don't care for it with its broader stripes....looks too much like a WBA kit of old.

I care even less for it when I read...Adult replica shirts retail at £80, with the "pro" version coming in at £110. Junior size replicas are £55.

Pro-version??????

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Newcastle'ss new kit launched today. Personally I don't care for it with its broader stripes....looks too much like a WBA kit of old.

I care even less for it when I read...Adult replica shirts retail at £80, with the "pro" version coming in at £110. Junior size replicas are £55.

Pro-version??????
Call it slim fit. That won't allow for the beer belly :ROFLMAO: . Not many going to be sold in pro version 🤭

The only way to stop these prices is for fans to stop buying them. If you look at the Chronicle online today though, videos of people queuing up to get in as soon as the doors opened.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Pro-version??????
The Newcastle brown ale shirt with the round neck is best they’ve had.
Home & away were both 👌

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Pro-version??????
I think 'pro version' effectively is the actual shirt the players wear. The replica shirts are made with different materials I guess. Plus I've just looked at them and the replica has a much more basic collar for some reason:

Pro Version:
1717761792672.png 1717761805268.png

Replica:
1717761832883.png 1717761847997.png

Still a bit odd.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think lack of game time is ultimately what cost Grealish. We all know what he's capable of but he's not really been a City fixture with only 20 PL appearances. Would he have made an impact off the bench. Very probably but I am sure Southgate feels the other options give him the same impact. Time will tell but like my club it is the defence that will make me nervous every time the opposition get into the final third
That would make sense if he had not picked Luke shaw. 🤔
I have a feeling that once more we will see the team carry Southgate and we will be asking after the euros should Grealish have gone.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d have Bowen over Grealish every day,

Bowen is one of the best type of players for international football. Sometimes you need players who can play that different style as the game goes on. Can be direct .. can go to the byeline for a cross. Can cut in on his left foot. Or can play up top alone / assist the striker ..

If grealish was in form he would be there anyways. He's another one that opens up games.

That would make sense if he had not picked Luke shaw. 🤔
I have a feeling that once more we will see the team carry Southgate and we will be asking after the euros should Grealish have gone.

Isn't shaw a case of there is literally nobody else?