The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
You also have to wonder why Wembley Stadium doesn't have better camera angles to help with the offside calls.

Just a selection of some other ridiculous offsides in recent years at Wembley. Alongside the Kovacic red card and the insane Sanchez handball.

"It all evens out in the end" is the most arduous debate around officiating. It doesn't.

View attachment 52952

View attachment 52953

View attachment 52954

I did wonder about the angle shown… I also wondered why the still that was released seems to show the Cov defender still in possession of the ball, also the Man U defender seems to be running towards the goal whilst the Cov striker seems stationary, so I wondered how it would look in the next frame once the pass was made…then I realised that the FA got the final they wanted and stopped wondering. 😄

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
VAR is absolutely awful for match going fans, I’ve said it on here before, it robs you of that spontaneous joy of scoring a goal… it also robbed all of us of one of the greatest moments in FA cup history on Sunday…

View attachment 52951

To me it looks like it goes through the defenders foot!
Please don't get me started on the line-drawing. Without the lines drawn on there - and in 'old money', if you like - he is level, and onside. Why can't someone just eyeball it on the replay and if he's about level he's onside? We used to trust a linesman to eyeball it in real time so he/someone should be able to eyeball it on a slow motion replay. Drawing the lines is just jumping the shark, takes forever, and robs us of what used to be perfectly good goals.

4LEX

Visit site
I did wonder about the angle shown… I also wondered why the still that was released seems to show the Cov defender still in possession of the ball, also the Man U defender seems to be running towards the goal whilst the Cov striker seems stationary, so I wondered how it would look in the next frame once the pass was made…then I realised that the FA got the final they wanted and stopped wondering. 😄

The screenshot and lines are very, very suspect. One of the best moments in FA Cup history scrubbed out due to VAR.

As for Forest - fair play to them. It's time every club went for the PGMOL as they're making decisions that are clearly wrong and getting away with it week after week. They are picking up huge salaries for part time work yet are costing clubs close to a hundred million via relegation. I think relegation will be decided more on VAR errors than who was the worst team this season in at least one case. That is shameful.

Within an hour of every match VAR audio should be released as protcol. This will stop the PGMOL from getting their stories straight and coming up with an exuse.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The screenshot and lines are very, very suspect. One of the best moments in FA Cup history scrubbed out due to VAR.

As for Forest - fair play to them. It's time every club went for the PGMOL as they're making decisions that are clearly wrong and getting away with it week after week. They are picking up huge salaries for part time work yet are costing clubs close to a hundred million via relegation. I think relegation will be decided more on VAR errors than who was the worst team this season in at least one case. That is shameful.

Within an hour of every match VAR audio should be released as protcol. This will stop the PGMOL from getting their stories straight and coming up with an exuse.
Well, that and who was the best at Financial Fair Play. 😂

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please don't get me started on the line-drawing. Without the lines drawn on there - and in 'old money', if you like - he is level, and onside. Why can't someone just eyeball it on the replay and if he's about level he's onside? We used to trust a linesman to eyeball it in real time so he/someone should be able to eyeball it on a slow motion replay. Drawing the lines is just jumping the shark, takes forever, and robs us of what used to be perfectly good goals.

Perfectly good offside/illegal goals.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're getting decisions that the offside rule was never designed to arrive at.

Meant to stop goal hanging and now we have analysis of toenails!!🤣🤣
I agree with you here. People talk about right and wrong decisions, but I doubt offside was ever designed to be reviewed down to a hair's breadth. It's just meant to prevent someone getting an advantage by being obviously nearer the goal than the defenders. A margin that can be eyeballed without drawing stupid lines on the screen.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree with you here. People talk about right and wrong decisions, but I doubt offside was ever designed to be reviewed down to a hair's breadth. It's just meant to prevent someone getting an advantage by being obviously nearer the goal than the defenders. A margin that can be eyeballed without drawing stupid lines on the screen.
Of course it wasn’t, just like handball should never be looked at in slow motion, it always looks deliberate in slow-mo.

A Quick Look by VAR at normal speed is all that’s needed, if it’s badly wrong then overrule if not then the on-field decision stands… a sort of “Umpire call” if you like.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
You’re going to love the semi-automated system next season!
It worked really well in the World Cup but our inept weapons will find a way to not implement it properly 😂

I do agree that there should be a level of threshold for being “level”. The Coventry goal should have stood as he wasn’t in front of the last man, it was a literal gnats hair which is where it all gets a bit silly.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
You’re going to love the semi-automated system next season!

Has any changes to the way the game is refereed ever made any improvements? They all have good intentions but they all seem to make the game more complicated.

(Genuine question as I think you said you were a qualified referee?)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
😂😂 Pure cop out!

Let’s use Sunday’s 3 pens decisions, 2 subjective - Shut up Forest accept the decision.

1 Should of gone to VAR/Monitor, go on Forest fight the PL.

Unfortunately Forest believe all 3 were pens and it’s a fix.

So if the Ref and VAR agreed on the first 2, should Forest apologise?
According to the Sky commentators it went to var and was cleared..so either Sky are lying or PGMOL are lying when they said it wasn’t checked 🤔

PaulMdj

Visit site
Has any changes to the way the game is refereed ever made any improvements? They all have good intentions but they all seem to make the game more complicated.

(Genuine question as I think you said you were a qualified referee?)
The issue, imo, is the media, the Referees at the very top are professionals, but we have to accept some of “fouls” are subjective and therefore those decisions split the fans.

Depending on our ages we can go back years, pre VAR/SKY/Dodgy boxes etc, if you were at the match you’d know and remember bad decisions, but that was it, MOTD very rarely analysed it and nobody else was aware of it, now every decision is recorded from 10-20 different angles.

We talk about listening or seeing VAR in action, maybe Sky/TNT should only show the camera angles VAR has.

I accept you or others (the match going fans in the main) hate VAR, but it has got more right than wrong, it needs to improve and hopefully next seasons change will help.

I don’t like it has a limited remit, but we have to accept it’s here to stay.

PaulMdj

Visit site
According to the Sky commentators it went to var and was cleared..so either Sky are lying or PGMOL are lying when they said it wasn’t checked 🤔
I was just putting the 3 options, hopefully all 3 decisions will be on Sky next Tuesday when Webb/Owen have their next programme.

4LEX

Visit site
State of the ref tonight, at least three stone overweight compared to the players he's supposed to be keeping up with.

Embarrassing.

PaulMdj

Visit site
There’s no measurement and never has been for Offside in the Laws of the Game though, maybe if the authorities did come up with an arbitary distance/gap it would be easier to call.