The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get a grip. You make enough noise when the slightest thing goes against united.
As a Forest fan I don't agree with the conspiracy theories or the self-indulgent poor us routine. Bad decisions are everywhere and you have to hope they do even themselves out eventually.
Although it's pointless and misguided, at least Forest are actually saying what they think rather than making clear what they think while hiding behind weasel comments to avoid PL infractions, like many others are doing almost constantly.
We have very different outlooks when it comes to Forest (or have done in the past). But I agree with this word for word.

I don't think Forest even think there's a conspiracy agenda - they simply want less incompetence.

Swango1980

Visit site
As a Forest fan I don't agree with the conspiracy theories or the self-indulgent poor us routine. Bad decisions are everywhere and you have to hope they do even themselves out eventually.
Although it's pointless and misguided, at least Forest are actually saying what they think rather than making clear what they think while hiding behind weasel comments to avoid PL infractions, like many others are doing almost constantly.
I've already said I don't mind when clubs call out bad decisions, absolutely no issue with it. And, as far as I can tell, every single club have made their feeling known when subjective decisions go against them, and make huge noises when howlers go against them. Hence why managers get suspended and fined fairly commonly it seems.

But Forest have gone that extra step. They've had howlers against them, but they are piling every subjective decision that has gone against them onto the list, and creating a story that the officials are corrupt against them. I'm expressing my opinion that this is pathetic. It is they who need to get a grip.

Btw, I'm not sure I've ever called the officials corrupt? I call out a lot of bad decisions (or at least decisions I don't agree with), just like 100% of football fans. But I don't create a list, or cry every single time a decision goes against Utd. I don't think Coventry should have had a penalty against Utd at the weekend, but I didn't whinge or cry corruption about it. It is just one of them, sometimes given, sometimes not.

PaulMdj

Visit site
We have very different outlooks when it comes to Forest (or have done in the past). But I agree with this word for word.

I don't think Forest even think there's a conspiracy agenda - they simply want less incompetence.
Rather than answering individual posts:

I don’t think Forest are fighting on behalf of everyone else all their statements are about them, no official statements have mentioned other clubs outside themselves.

VAR isn’t perfect, but it still gets more correct than it gets wrong, the Officials are being held to account, Webb has come in and at least had the gumption to go TV and try and address some of the issues, Officials have been sanctioned as well.

VAR is here to stay and needs to improve, next season we are introducing the semi automated offside procedures and this will definitely help.

Even when things are explained people still refuse to accept the answer, ie

Grealish, Ref believes the ball didn’t touch him and goes out - Goal Kick, VAR review the incident and see it has touched his arm, but not a penalty - on field decision stands.

Problem now is, VAR has seen it touch his arm, but that is outside their remit to get involved so can’t advise the Ref to change it to a corner.

I agree that is daft, but were does it end? Bring VAR in on full 90 minutes and re-refereeing every decision, every throw in, every foul etc etc.

There has to be a line and as much as I get the frustration, the alternative is worse imo.

One last on, Boro v Leeds last night, 4-3 to Leeds, 3rd goal was well offside, no VAR, but what if Leeds are promoted by 1 point over Ipswich or Leics? Is it fair to say, well no VAR so we’ll live with mistakes.

Can we really have it or want it both ways.

I’ve no axe to grind with Forest, they were possibly robbed on sunday, but please don’t try and turn this into “they are doing it for everyone”

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately Forest started it by intimating the VAR offical was bias or bent or may cheat because he may be a Luton fan. It's just no way to get everyone on your side. The whole conspiracy theories also do not help, tin foil; hat stupidity.

I agree we should be calling out the mistakes and highlighting them and continually asking what they are going to do about getting it right. I also agree we need Sky / TNT and MOTD to get on board with this and get the challenges in place.

We need to avoid the conspiracy, cheating, bias and fringe lunacy comments which always get highlighted and media driven and find out what is being done about VAR.

Another issue could be we have no idea what all clubs think about it, it maybe there is a bigger divide than we realise in support for VAR, we just don't know because the only time a team complains is when it negatively affects them, no one is critical when it postively affects them and teams if the result goes there way the mistakes are forgotten.

We need VAR to be revised and all mistakes both postive and nagative for every game be reviwed to see where we can move this forward not just who shouts loudest when it does not go their way.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No one has confirmed he is a Luton fan, straight away you are believing that he is.
I believe it is confirmed by the information that referees have to provide to the PGMOL as part of their "background audit", which is widely publicised. So as of May last year...

Stuart Attwell – Luton Town
Peter Bankes – Unknown
John Brookes – Unknown
David Coote – Unknown
Darren England – Barnsley
Kevin Friend – Bristol City and Leicester City
Jarred Gillett – Unknown
Tony Harrington – Hartlepool
Simon Hooper – Swindon Town
Rob Jones – Unknown
Andy Madley – Huddersfield Town
Michael Oliver – Newcastle United
Craig Pawson – Sheffield United
Michael Salisbury – Unknown
Graham Scot – Swindon Town
Anthony Taylor – Altrincham
Paul Tierney – Wigan Athletic

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe it is confirmed by the information that referees have to provide to the PGMOL as part of their "background audit", which is widely publicised. So as of May last year...

Stuart Attwell – Luton Town
Peter Bankes – Unknown
John Brookes – Unknown
David Coote – Unknown
Darren England – Barnsley
Kevin Friend – Bristol City and Leicester City
Jarred Gillett – Unknown
Tony Harrington – Hartlepool
Simon Hooper – Swindon Town
Rob Jones – Unknown
Andy Madley – Huddersfield Town
Michael Oliver – Newcastle United
Craig Pawson – Sheffield United
Michael Salisbury – Unknown
Graham Scot – Swindon Town
Anthony Taylor – Altrincham
Paul Tierney – Wigan Athletic
Can confirm Rob Jones is a Bournemouth fan - only explanation for sending Willy Bolt off for his perfectly good tackle ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Unfortunately Forest started it by intimating the VAR offical was bias or bent or may cheat because he may be a Luton fan. It's just no way to get everyone on your side. The whole conspiracy theories also do not help, tin foil; hat stupidity.

I agree we should be calling out the mistakes and highlighting them and continually asking what they are going to do about getting it right. I also agree we need Sky / TNT and MOTD to get on board with this and get the challenges in place.

We need to avoid the conspiracy, cheating, bias and fringe lunacy comments which always get highlighted and media driven and find out what is being done about VAR.

Another issue could be we have no idea what all clubs think about it, it maybe there is a bigger divide than we realise in support for VAR, we just don't know because the only time a team complains is when it negatively affects them, no one is critical when it postively affects them and teams if the result goes there way the mistakes are forgotten.

We need VAR to be revised and all mistakes both postive and nagative for every game be reviwed to see where we can move this forward not just who shouts loudest when it does not go their way.
Very true. There are 2 teams in every game, and so for every club that is outraged by one particular decision, there will be another club delighted.

Factually, it is virtually certain that there are less incorrect decisions in football since VAR than before VAR. Especially when you take into account offside, which isn't subjective, albeit you could argue the extremely marginal calls are limited to the frame of the image. I can see many clubs do not want to scrap VAR, and then risk losing a big game due to an awful call.

But clearly VAR has a lot of improvement to be made.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Football has a culture of disrespecting referees and challenging decisions.

It has a culture of trying to con the officials.

VAR seems to have been rolled out ignoring the impact on current "laws"😉 and how they are applied.

A right blooming mess, largely brought on itself by all involved. It'll continue as long as cash, not the game is the priority.

I'm only suprised more people haven't walked away from it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This weekend has confirmed my thoughts that VAR is being used to to manipulate results.
I would not be surprised to find out a big betting syndicate is pulling the strings somewhere!

Some decisions defy logic from an elite referee.

Unlikley ? It’s happened in other leagues / sports.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PGMOL stating they're happy to release the audio to Forest but only in private....wasn't the audio requested by Liverpool released in the public forum?....Seems a bit suspicious 🐸☕

Probably because they said they would be more professional in future and once again the Comms will be sloppy and not of the required standard

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably because they said they would be more professional in future and once again the Comms will be sloppy and not of the required standard
Probably correct!
But they’re being accused of not doing their job properly.

They silence managers who question them with sanctions but when called out won’t let us hear what goes on.
That just looks dodgy.

simsini

Visit site
The solution to all of this is to have the VAR official and the referee broadcast live on TV and around the stadium when they make their decision, and the video footage that they are watching being broadcast at the same time too. It happens in the NFL, rugby, cricket etc, why not football?