The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The solution to all of this is to have the VAR official and the referee broadcast live on TV and around the stadium when they make their decision, and the video footage that they are watching being broadcast at the same time too. It happens in the NFL, rugby, cricket etc, why not football?
Yes I agree.
But not all grounds have screens.

PaulMdj

Visit site
At Premier League level virtually all do I think. Otherwise, they can still play the audio. What should come out of this is maximum transparency for all.
Good luck getting the crowd to stay silent while they listen to VAR Audio😂😂

Getting to the point of going back to Covid days, no fans in the ground and everyone watching at home!!

Cricket, Rugby, NFL are all stop/start sports with natural pauses.

VAR has been in for years and all of a sudden Forest can sort it out.

Please stop!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The solution to all of this is to have the VAR official and the referee broadcast live on TV and around the stadium when they make their decision, and the video footage that they are watching being broadcast at the same time too. It happens in the NFL, rugby, cricket etc, why not football?
It's a FIFA edict I believe, or UEFA. Webb would like this to happen I believe. I agree, it would be good to hear. It would help people understand the process, why the decision has been made.

simsini

Visit site
It's a FIFA edict I believe, or UEFA. Webb would like this to happen I believe. I agree, it would be good to hear. It would help people understand the process, why the decision has been made.
I've just read that it's UEFA stopping this at the moment. Apparently because not all countries have the same technology, which seems ridiculous really.

simsini

Visit site
Good luck getting the crowd to stay silent while they listen to VAR Audio😂😂

Getting to the point of going back to Covid days, no fans in the ground and everyone watching at home!!

Cricket, Rugby, NFL are all stop/start sports with natural pauses.

VAR has been in for years and all of a sudden Forest can sort it out.

Please stop!
Forest should be shouting this until they're blue in the face. VAR should be as transparent as possible, not have everyone guessing as to why a decision wasn't given, when it is clear the VAR official is wrong. I'm not even suggesting anything that would take longer than it currently does. If the officials are confident in their decisions, they'll have no issue being heard/seen around the stadium and on TV.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Forest should be shouting this until they're blue in the face. VAR should be as transparent as possible, not have everyone guessing as to why a decision wasn't given, when it is clear the VAR official is wrong. I'm not even suggesting anything that would take longer than it currently does. If the officials are confident in their decisions, they'll have no issue being heard/seen around the stadium and on TV.
Don’t take this the wrong way.

I don’t know if you go and watch live matches (I’ve only been to a few in last couple of years) but VAR ruins the game at times when you’re there.

To now suggest that fans in the stadium listrn to VAR Audio and Watch the screens, I can’t see it doing anything but slow the game down and wind people up.

I do believe it should be available within 12-24hrs after the game.

Look at the Grealish incident! How many would accept being correct, but the Referee giving the wrong decision and not being able to change it.

simsini

Visit site
Don’t take this the wrong way.

I don’t know if you go and watch live matches (I’ve only been to a few in last couple of years) but VAR ruins the game at times when you’re there.

To now suggest that fans in the stadium listrn to VAR Audio and Watch the screens, I can’t see it doing anything but slow the game down and wind people up.

I do believe it should be available within 12-24hrs after the game.

Look at the Grealish incident! How many would accept being correct, but the Referee giving the wrong decision and not being able to change it.
I'm a season ticket holder at a non-league club, but have been to Forest games too this season. VAR doesn't ruin the game if it makes the correct decision. Fans watching the screens won't make anything slower because it will be in real time, the same amount of time as it takes now. The screens would just show what TV is seeing. It will give maximum transparency and explain how the decision is made.

The Grealish incident is a perfect example. The VAR official can explain why he's made his decision. If all it does is highlight the officials making horrific decisions, then it means standards will improve. At the moment, the officials make howlers time and time again, but they don't lose their jobs or get demoted. In Anthony Taylor and Stuart Attwell's case, they get selected for the Euros, which is a joke. Let's not forget their laughable decision not to give Roma a penalty in the 2023 Europa League final too.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
At Premier League level virtually all do I think. Otherwise, they can still play the audio. What should come out of this is maximum transparency for all.
You'd be surprised...Yanited, for example, play their games at the world's biggest tinpot - all that money and not a single video screen (unless something has changed recently).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The simple question is. Is VAR fit for purpose in its present guise.

If the answer is yes, then you don’t have a problem with it.

If the answer is no, then you have a problem with it and it needs fixing.

VAR has been in for what 6 years and it is still rammel. We spend more time talking about VAR then we do footbal. Hoes that right.

So how do you fix it. Well if it left to the powers that be. As far as they are concerned, it’s not broke and it don’t need fixing. Yet All the time it is killing the game. Folk might not agree with what Forest have said and done. But they have at least put there head above the trenches. Others should follow and stand with them because for match going fans, VAR in its present state is purgatory.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I'm a season ticket holder at a non-league club, but have been to Forest games too this season. VAR doesn't ruin the game if it makes the correct decision. Fans watching the screens won't make anything slower because it will be in real time, the same amount of time as it takes now. The screens would just show what TV is seeing. It will give maximum transparency and explain how the decision is made.

The Grealish incident is a perfect example. The VAR official can explain why he's made his decision. If all it does is highlight the officials making horrific decisions, then it means standards will improve. At the moment, the officials make howlers time and time again, but they don't lose their jobs or get demoted. In Anthony Taylor and Stuart Attwell's case, they get selected for the Euros, which is a joke. Let's not forget their laughable decision not to give Roma a penalty in the 2023 Europa League final too.

VAR has been in for what 6 years and it is still rammel. We spend more time talking about VAR then we do footbal. Hoes that right.

So how do you fix it. Well if it left to the powers that be. As far as they are concerned, it’s not broke and it don’t need fixing. Yet All the time it is killing the game. Folk might not agree with what Forest have said and done. But they have at least put there head above the trenches. Others should follow and stand with them because for match going fans, VAR in its present state is purgatory.
2 posts 50 minutes apart, 1 says VAR doesn’t ruin the game if the decision is correct, the other says in its present state it’s purgatory. Which is it?

As for the Grealish incident, the VAR Official has to stop the game, which didn’t happen at the time, explain to the crowd that even though the Referee was wrong in believing the ball didn’t touch his arm, it did, then say, they believe it was not a penalty, then say, “oh by the way, the Refs decision not to give a corner is wrong, but we can’t tell him that as it’s outside our remit, so goal kick it is” and all the Chelsea fans there and the nuetrals at home are going to say! “Oh fair enough, we understand”

Restart the game please Ref,

Straight away the Ref has been underminded.

simsini

Visit site
2 posts 50 minutes apart, 1 says VAR doesn’t ruin the game if the decision is correct, the other says in its present state it’s purgatory. Which is it?

As for the Grealish incident, the VAR Official has to stop the game, which didn’t happen at the time, explain to the crowd that even though the Referee was wrong in believing the ball didn’t touch his arm, it did, then say, they believe it was not a penalty, then say, “oh by the way, the Refs decision not to give a corner is wrong, but we can’t tell him that as it’s outside our remit, so goal kick it is” and all the Chelsea fans there and the nuetrals at home are going to say! “Oh fair enough, we understand”

Restart the game please Ref,

Straight away the Ref has been underminded.
If they make poor decisions, they undermine themselves.

PaulMdj

Visit site
If they make poor decisions, they undermine themselves.
😂😂 Pure cop out!

Let’s use Sunday’s 3 pens decisions, 2 subjective - Shut up Forest accept the decision.

1 Should of gone to VAR/Monitor, go on Forest fight the PL.

Unfortunately Forest believe all 3 were pens and it’s a fix.

So if the Ref and VAR agreed on the first 2, should Forest apologise?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

VAR is absolutely awful for match going fans, I’ve said it on here before, it robs you of that spontaneous joy of scoring a goal… it also robbed all of us of one of the greatest moments in FA cup history on Sunday…

IMG_1889.jpeg

To me it looks like it goes through the defenders foot!

Visit site
You also have to wonder why Wembley Stadium doesn't have better camera angles to help with the offside calls.

Just a selection of some other ridiculous offsides in recent years at Wembley. Alongside the Kovacic red card and the insane Sanchez handball.

"It all evens out in the end" is the most arduous debate around officiating. It doesn't.

1713892984515.png

1713893081884.png

1713893151187.png

PaulMdj

Visit site
VAR is absolutely awful for match going fans, I’ve said it on here before, it robs you of that spontaneous joy of scoring a goal… it also robbed all of us of one of the greatest moments in FA cup history on Sunday…

View attachment 52951

To me it looks like it goes through the defenders foot!
In the weekly VAR Report I posted yesterday, it was claimed Wan Bissaka’s foot is raised of the ground hence giving the appearance of the line going through his foot.🤷‍♂️

4LEX

Visit site
You post some really good stuff, but on occasion what you say really does hint at anti-United bias.

Weak hold up play and poor touch? Really? Open your eyes. Of all the things Hojlund can be accused of these elements, and certainly weak hold up play, are most certainly not on the list. He is one of the strongest forwards I have seen in years, and holds the ball really, really well.

He is starved of service. Has been since day one. As soon as Rashford was out for a short period, and Hojlund was being brought into the game by those around him, he started banging in the goals. Then came a minor injury and international break, and on his return Rashford is again starting every week. Hojlund’s poor returns coincide very much with Rashford playing outside him.

Is Hojlund ready to lead a line? Nobody can really tell because he has been living off scraps. But please take the blinkers off. He’s been one of the few positives.

Totally disagree mate. I'm no way anti-United at all.

Yes he is tall and strong but he tangles with defenders and comes off worse most times. It's not often he holds the ball up, makes it stick and lays it off. That is weak hold up play in every sense. At best he's quick, good attitude and gets stuck in. A Man Utd striker needs to be miles better than that. He needs four touches when two would do, struggles to get shots off and his finishing is poor. McTominay has much better striker instinct and off the ball movement which is why he gets so many goals from midfield despite not starting much.

A Man Utd striker should be on a level with Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, RVP or Ibrahimovic. Paying £70m for someone so limited is a huge part of why the season is panning out the way it is. One of the first things for a new manager will be singing a top striker.