The Fat, Bald, Yellow Guy is Back

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer is back

Sorry to rub it in to all of you working today but I had a day off and after a nice lay in until 10.30 meandered up to the club this afternoon.

I spent an hour on the practice ground. thirty minutes of that was working on my short game and the other thirty was spent hitting balls. I was striking it really well so nipped out while it was quiet.

I had the course to myself so played two balls. I kept a meticulous score with my first ball but used the second one for trying different shots (e.g hitting a short iron off the tee to leave longer shots in, teeing it higher/lower etc).

The great news is I went round in nett 71 (+1) which included four double bogies. I was hitting the ball really well especially tee to green on the front nine where I hit 5 out of 6 fairways

I petered out a bit as I got very tired around 15 (playing two balls and the first time since being diabetic I had played in the heat - use to eat cereal bars and drink lucozade but can't now)

I still hit 4 out of 6 fairways on the way home but I only hit 22% of greens (including the par 3's). I was hitting the fairways but sadly on a lot of the holes (400 yards + I just couldn't get home in regulation).

Still after a few rounds (Saturday's medal and Sunday's inter-club match) where the seeds of recovery were showing signs of growth I am really pleased with how today went.

I've got a flexi day tomorrow (NHS don't you love it) but there is a society booked in for 36 holes and the weather looks iffy. Plan is to have a lie in and get out while the society are having lunch and then onto the practice ground afterwards for some more short game work.

If I can get rid of a couple of these double bogies (one unfortunate where I went for the green from 220 yard out - normally lay up - and clipped a tree and fell leaving 180 in for my 3rd which just ran off right into a bunker). One was caused by a second running into the lip at the front of a bunker which I got out but ended up short of the green and could only chip and 2 putt and one was caused by missing a green on a par 3 chipping on and 3 stabbing (DOH!).

All in all I'm pretty happy. Add to that I've ordered a sky caddy (GS5 model - couldn't wait for caddylite to ever map my course) from my pro and got it for £269 which is £30 cheaper than RRP and better than any online price I've found.

Going to try and get a new 5 wood soon (my steelhead + looks tiny compared with current models and not as forgiving) and then the plastic will go away somewhere secure (I'll give it to HID - guaranteed never to get it back without an inquisition into what I'm using it for!!).

Off for a bath to ease my tired muscles and then to bed and dream of finally playing to my handicap in 2008

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hate to burst you bubble, but here's my day:

8.15 to 3.30 - work glorious work (not).

4.30 - arrived at the course, paid my £13 and teed off (no warm up or practice). Played the game of my life and shot 91 against a par 70 with a handicap of 24 (don't think that will be lasting much longer) to give me a net 67 (3 under par).

As you would yourself say - Whoo, hooo. :D

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
All those stats are too much man - forget about 22% of GIR - just play the course as a 14 handicapper and you'll come shooting down. If its a par 4 SS and you get a shot then play it as a par 5. I did this on sunday and shot a 79 for the first time giving me a net 65 - Stableford comp tonight aswell so can't wait. Mark your card with your net score and keep a column of your score to par....if your playing a par 72, as soon as you see that magic -7 appear it means that net pars to the clubhouse will have you breaking 80. As soon as you take all that pressure off you'll see that playing to a 14 is within anyones reach.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done mate I think……. it don’t look good for me having any success when we play if you keep this form going.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done glad your hitting some form. I was also going pretty well but haven't played for 3 weeks due to a thumb injury. I'm going to try and hit some balls friday and see how its going, I had just got my handicap of 18 when I stopped, and can't see myself getting near that without any play at all for this long.

Hope it goes well tomorrow aswell.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good news Homer......now to calm down those doubles.....without these, you'd play to 10 or 11 easy.....

It had to come eventually.....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
just play the course as a 14 handicapper and you'll come shooting down. If its a par 4 SS and you get a shot then play it as a par 5.

No way.....Jose! :)

I'll never accept this as the way to go (Glory or death!!).
There are 4 long par 4s at my course I can't reach (5,6,11,14) and I get as far down these as possible. D - 3wood - short pitch. Rarely make anything other than 5s. if I played them as "real" par 5s I'd leave a full shot in, then missing the green makes a double more likely. I understand what you're saying, but it depends on whether you can go for it and what the risks are......I don't take risks, but if the fairway is wide and safe......go for it!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes obviously don't play it like a long par 5, but treat 5 strokes as your par. Hit it as far as you can twice, a pitch and 2 putts and that is the par. And its amazing how many net birdies you'll make on a round if you play each hole to your par rather than the par of the scratch golfer.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but I find it's very difficult changing how you think about a hole that you've played several times before. Not sure that making your own score cards that show your par will work either.