The Cricket Thread

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Superb performance by bowlers especially Rashid and Curran kept Pakistan down to which should have been a comfortable target.
Got a bit wobbly when Buttler went but great from Stokes again. Shah not able to bowl was a stroke of luck.
World Champions again fantastic!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
will have to watch the highlights... watched part of the game. then had to take kid to footy, so stood in a muddy field watching the phone, while they got thrashed 10-1.
Well done Stokes - winning runs in the ODI and T20. BTW, did the ball start turning so much today - i heard that the spinners were not getting any grip this WC.

Sam Curran has come leaps and bounds.. time in the IPL with Dhoni paying dividends (though not everyone will agree)

Funniest thing i saw was some guy holding 'We love Sunak' placard...

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
will have to watch the highlights... watched part of the game. then had to take kid to footy, so stood in a muddy field watching the phone, while they got thrashed 10-1.
Well done Stokes - winning runs in the ODI and T20. BTW, did the ball start turning so much today - i heard that the spinners were not getting any grip this WC.

Sam Curran has come leaps and bounds.. time in the IPL with Dhoni paying dividends (though not everyone will agree)

There was a decent amount of turn for the spinners. Rashid bowled well again. Not a spinner but Curran was exceptional. The biggest difference between the two innings was that Pakistan were trying to play normal T20 shots and really go for it using the aerial route. Several of their batsmen got out caught in the deep. England seemed to play more "normal" cricket shots, especially Butler, hitting into the gaps rather than trying to take on the outfielders. Looked like it was going to be a close finish but the injury to their bowler turned the game our way and there was a spell of 4 or 5 balls shortly after that almost confirmed we would win it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Me too. Had to leave for rowing after 12 overs and then no way would I risk my phone on the river. Then no signal back on land. Kept asking "anyone know the cricket score" but clearly no fans. Finally got a signal - delighted especially after the awful rugby scores this weekend.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Lol so predictable, 4 lines and you had to jam in praise for the IPL and Dhoni....... Any comment on the impact theyve had on any other sides in this WC lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There was a decent amount of turn for the spinners. Rashid bowled well again. Not a spinner but Curran was exceptional. The biggest difference between the two innings was that Pakistan were trying to play normal T20 shots and really go for it using the aerial route. Several of their batsmen got out caught in the deep. England seemed to play more "normal" cricket shots, especially Butler, hitting into the gaps rather than trying to take on the outfielders. Looked like it was going to be a close finish but the injury to their bowler turned the game our way and there was a spell of 4 or 5 balls shortly after that almost confirmed we would win it.

Big argument the toss was a large part of that too, Pakistan were trying to set a target, in a game that could potentially be rain affected, so were under pressure to go hard early. in contrast England were chasing sub 7rpo so DLS was massively on their side if there was any rain, so they were able to play with a more measured approach

Despite the comms banging on about runs on the board, the last few years almost every big tournament T20 KO game has been won chasing

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big argument the toss was a large part of that too, Pakistan were trying to set a target, in a game that could potentially be rain affected, so were under pressure to go hard early. in contrast England were chasing sub 7rpo so DLS was massively on their side if there was any rain, so they were able to play with a more measured approach

Despite the comms banging on about runs on the board, the last few years almost every big tournament T20 KO game has been won chasing

That's a fair point. I hadn't even considered that argument. England definitely had the luxury of not having to go at 9 an over from the off so could be more measured in their approach.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lol so predictable, 4 lines and you had to jam in praise for the IPL and Dhoni....... Any comment on the impact theyve had on any other sides in this WC lol

Nothing predictable… having seen Curran at Surrey and how he developed with Dhoni is not being predictable. At that rate, I could have said all the English scorers are in the IPL except Hales …

Regardless..: what a win .. let’s celebrate