The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Time for a new thread as the old ones a couple of years old now!

Potentially one of the most enthralling test matches starts close to midnight tomorrow with the 3rd test between Australia and India in Sydney after India levelled the series in the previous test having been bundled out for 36 in the 1st test!

In what should be more suitable conditions for the Indians and the Australian top order not firing so far this could be a thriller

As for England, I see Moeen Ali has tested positive having arrived in Sri Lanka and he and Woakes are self isolating, with a lot of fingers crossed before the next set of test results or theres a chance the series goes the same way the end of the SA tour did.

New Zealand proving too strong at home for Pakistan (with Kane Williamson filling his boots), likewise South Africa for Sri Lanka.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sri Lanka have been desperately unfortunate with injuries in this series. They look to be slowly improving which would be good to see.

It'll be interesting to see what players from the raft of Kolpakkers that South Africa pick again. I'd imagine that Kyle Abbott would be on their radar.

New Zealand are a top team on home soil and have some underrated players. Williamson is different class at the moment. I watched bits of their series against the Windies on You Tube and they were mightily impressive.

I pay passing interest to the Australia v India series but there's too much tomfoolery, from players, commentators and the media, to really get into it. The other series are just about the cricket whereas it seems that every series involving two of the big three has become too much of a circus.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sri Lanka have been desperately unfortunate with injuries in this series. They look to be slowly improving which would be good to see.

It'll be interesting to see what players from the raft of Kolpakkers that South Africa pick again. I'd imagine that Kyle Abbott would be on their radar.

New Zealand are a top team on home soil and have some underrated players. Williamson is different class at the moment. I watched bits of their series against the Windies on You Tube and they were mightily impressive.

I pay passing interest to the Australia v India series but there's too much tomfoolery, from players, commentators and the media, to really get into it. The other series are just about the cricket whereas it seems that every series involving two of the big three has become too much of a circus.

Mute button and some music on :)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've started listening to some of the 12th man CDs again - Billy Bermingham and his legendary impressions of Richie Benaud and the other Channel 9 team. It's so politically incorrect and for a time Benaud really hated him for doing it but eventually warmed to him.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've started listening to some of the 12th man CDs again - Billy Bermingham and his legendary impressions of Richie Benaud and the other Channel 9 team. It's so politically incorrect and for a time Benaud really hated him for doing it but eventually warmed to him.

Havent listened to them for many many years, expect theres still some very funny parts in them and a few that are probably a bit cringey these days

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The one of the late Tony Greig sticking Richie's fountain pen into the wicket during a pre-game analysis and then seeing a bowler hit it was just classic. Richie going to the door and swearing at Greig for losing his pen. The impressions were just spot on. Ian Chappell being boring as hell etc

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like India will do a Sri Lanka.. too many injuries and will fold. The final match in Brisbane May not happen (as QLD requires 2 week quarantine) unless they stay and play in Sydney.

Speaking of commentary... anyone else notice the rise of women commentators in the men’s game. Isha Guha brings new perspective. There was an assuie lady who was not bad.

Finally, a killer catch to kick off the season

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looks like India will do a Sri Lanka.. too many injuries and will fold. The final match in Brisbane May not happen (as QLD requires 2 week quarantine) unless they stay and play in Sydney.

Speaking of commentary... anyone else notice the rise of women commentators in the men’s game. Isha Guha brings new perspective. There was an assuie lady who was not bad.

Utterly impossible not to, cricket ahead of football in over filling the comm box with females, what I dont understand is why the aussie are importing English women to do the job rather than their own

as for the game, India let Aus get too many first dig and never looked like doing so themselves. Big toss to have won tbh and Smith was always going to come to the party at some point

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Isa Guha's pretty good, not sure on Ebony Rainford-Brent. Alison Mitchell is very good whilst Mel Jones from Australia was excellent during the WC last summer.

D

Deleted member 18588

Agree that Isa Guha is very good but can't agree on Alison Mitchell.

Like Emily Rainford Brent she adds nothing and seems to have little understanding of the game at that level.

My main complaint is, however, when female cricketers or footballers are employed as expert summarisers rather than commentators.

When comparisons are made of the men's and women's games in each of these sports we are frequently told that is unfair as they are different sports.

Fair enough but if that is so what qualification does a man have to act as an expert on the women's game and vice versa?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good to see the Aussies as classy as ever. Racist crowd not enough for them. How dumb do you have to be to pretend to be shadow batting in the drinks break and then scuff up the crease to remove all the batsmens marks forgetting that stump cam is on lol

Lets hope Pant bats for a couple more hours and the moral high ground with gloves keeps dropping chances

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
True colours coming out from this aussie side, thought they were reformed characters lol

Absolutely brilliant by India... 3 injured batsman carry them over.

Absolutely shocking from Aussies.. Paine was just keeper chatter.. Also lot of chin music from the bowlers which is understanable.. But some despicable bits from close in fielders (Wade) who threw the ball at the batsman rather than at the stumps.. Vihari hit twice. Desperate tactics from Aussies. Who would have thought.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely brilliant by India... 3 injured batsman carry them over.

Absolutely shocking from Aussies.. Paine was just keeper chatter.. Also lot of chin music from the bowlers which is understanable.. But some despicable bits from close in fielders (Wade) who threw the ball at the batsman rather than at the stumps.. Vihari hit twice. Desperate tactics from Aussies. Who would have thought.

keeper chatter and 3 dropped chances lol

D

Deleted member 3432

Aussies reverting to type who would have thought it.

Interesting that it Wade and Paine involved, probably the worst two players in a very poor team trying to make up for their lack of ability with a bit of verbal.

Smith skating on thin ice, obviously not got much upstairs trying that little stunt. Harmless in itself but not with his background of sandpapering ball.