The better the player the less gullible you become?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok before i start im not actually calling everyone gullible.....It just seems like the wrong word for the right situation if that makes sense :)

What im asking is and i have seen this on more than a few occasions .....Would it stand reason the the better the player we become the less gullible we get to being drawn to changing for new equipment....
Ive played with a good few low handicappers last year and the one thing that struck me was that none of them had clubs in their bags that were newer the 3 or 4 years....

One lad off 1 plays with Mizuno MP 33's....They were rusty and battered but they looked nice in the bag and Titleist 907 woods and driver i think...At least thats what they looked like....
He is just an example but you get the drift....

All were playing clubs that were 6 to maybe 8 or even 10 years old....
Im kind of starting to come around to this thinking now myself wondering is it worth all that expense...What i have in my bag at the moment is probably the longest if held onto clubs...And i dont think that ill change them too soon they are behaving pretty well...

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I dont think the lure of the shiney becomes any less, everyones personal circumstances are different and financially clubs can be more of a luxury to some guys than others.
That said, perhaps better golfers stick with certain clubs/sets of irons as they are used to them, I know plenty of decent golfers that change drivers every year but change irons and putters rarely.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Many say that the key to the game is consistency. These guys probably have consistency with their set-ups and maybe this is why they don't change.
I rarley change unless something starts behaving bad and I can't fix it.

ash01

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its not the clubs its the.......

If your shooting low scores/low cat1 h'cap and not planning on hitting the tours etc. then its all about sticking with what will do job.

I've got all brand new custom fit setup so I could be an exception to your thinking, but that is due to me getting back into golf after a while.

The current setup is working though, so its highly unlikely anything will be changed unless damaged. The only club that is likely to be changed is my driver to a slightly smaller head, I like the nike vr pro series which i think is 440cc.

Ash!!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there is a lot of truth in this.

I would agree that most of the better players at our place seem to use tried and trusted gear.

Basically the main incentive for people to buy new gear is the marketing promise that it will improve your game. Better players already have the game and at their level it isn't true anyway. They mostly use basic blade type irons that will only need changing when they wear out. They know the answer to getting better is "in the dirt" as Hogan said.

The thing is we live in a world in which newer is usually better. My new PC, phone, car are all "better" than my old ones. So it must be true for golf clubs too, mustn't it! :whistle:

mahseve

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's definitely what u are good with, what suits you and what you like. When I played off single figures (long time ago) I played for years with the same set of forged blades. I think 'brendy' has a point 'the lure of the shiny' is rarely far away.
I'm presently playing with a set of oldish Ping Zing2s. Great club, nicely balanced.
But it's always that 'bit of s***t' on the end of the club that causes the problems. ;)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" springs to mind! I think if i got my H'cap to single figures, the clubs i was using must be suited to me etc, no point changing apart from the magpie in you wanting new shineys!

I am keeping my clubs until I can outplay them, which will be a VERY long time!!

JJF69

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok before i start im not actually calling everyone gullible.....It just seems like the wrong word for the right situation if that makes sense :)

What im asking is and i have seen this on more than a few occasions .....Would it stand reason the the better the player we become the less gullible we get to being drawn to changing for new equipment....
Ive played with a good few low handicappers last year and the one thing that struck me was that none of them had clubs in their bags that were newer the 3 or 4 years....

One lad off 1 plays with Mizuno MP 33's....They were rusty and battered but they looked nice in the bag and Titleist 907 woods and driver i think...At least thats what they looked like....
He is just an example but you get the drift....

All were playing clubs that were 6 to maybe 8 or even 10 years old....
Im kind of starting to come around to this thinking now myself wondering is it worth all that expense...What i have in my bag at the moment is probably the longest if held onto clubs...And i dont think that ill change them too soon they are behaving pretty well...

Not true.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I switched last year from 12 year old X14's to X22's (they had just been replaced with x24's or whatever, so got a really good deal on them), I must admit to changing woods and putters more often tho'. It comes down to personal preference and financial ability, I don't necessarily think its purely about skill levels, we are all seduced by new equipment to some degree otherwise the manufacturers would all be out of business.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with ya Mike .. same in our club the realy good guys have good clubs but not the newest or most hyped ones , they knock on with the ones that work for them ..

Im Playing ok at the min (last sun exception) there aint one thing wrong with the MP32's or the G5's.. i take the praise when the scores are good so i may take take the blame when they are not ..

I did enter the play your best challange but did wonder how hard it would be to knock shots (5 for me) off your personal best score ever while geting use to new clubs ? very willing to try tho ;)
ye guys that change more frequently how long does it take to bond with the new shineys ?

A

Alex1975

My wifes Uncle is a good player, plays alot and is a member of Moor Park. Yesterday my wife went to see her gran and she told he "oh your uncle got some new clubs today" they chatted about it and it turns out his old ones were 20 years old.

I think we are gullible as you say, I also think we know we are, we quite like it, its part of our hobby. Your man there with the MP 33, why would he change them? They are pure blades and blade technology is not changing to any extent.

I look forward to being totally happy with my bag.... It might be now.... It might be never!!

mahseve

Medal Winner
Visit site
Having said all, do bear in mind that shafts will deteiorate over time, so those old clubs may be like the cleaners old brush.

Wheyayeman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of is down to the players aspirations, like you I know a few low handicap golfers who play for various league teams etc and have clubs Bobby Jones would have considered old fashioned, but they obviously work for them. However my point is if the players aspirations are to get a lower handicap and they are prepared to put the time into practice then they are more inclined to try the latest gear, whereas other golfers who have perhaps reached their handicap limit in terms of the amount of time they can give to the game, then why change if your comfortable with what you have. That's not to say they don't want to be lower but ultimately they are happy where they are