The all things EV chat thread

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t always do long stints, and if I feel groggy I will pull over for a break or even swap with my wife and let her drive for an hour or so.
Have you learned nothing from Grayson and Mr Cholmondley-Warner's information fillums?

Serious point: all the long journeys I take tend to be with my wife, and we swap over every 2 hours or so. We might even stop at a Costa for a coffee. (If only Starbucks is available, we prefer to go without).

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have you learned nothing from Grayson and Mr Cholmondley-Warner's information fillums?

Serious point: all the long journeys I take tend to be with my wife, and we swap over every 2 hours or so. We might even stop at a Costa for a coffee. (If only Starbucks is available, we prefer to go without).

I try to avoid it to be honest, once driving through France heading to Calais from La Rochelle, we swapped, I slept soundly for a couple of hours, when I woke up we was on our way to St-Malo 😩

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I always thought the battery swapping was a better option for city folks than charging... this tread on the Chinese taxi is great. (PS: I bought a few NIO shares, but they have fallen only 90% since i bought them)
Swappable batteries would only make sense if every manufacturer agreed on a format, so that you could have generic swap stations around the country.
The chances of agreement like that is somewhere between very unlikely and zero.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that hasn't caught on too well, due to the extra numbers of batteries needed
Swappable batteries would only make sense if every manufacturer agreed on a format, so that you could have generic swap stations around the country.
i think it makes a lot of sense for mass transport like Taxi industry. I think they are trialling it in India (?) for 2 wheelers. As @cliveb says, it would make a lot of sense if it was swappable and generic design rather than manufactuerer specific

(update) 2 wheeler video from Singapore >

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Once we get politicians involved they will all charge on usb-c anyway ;-)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FB_IMG_1712595740264.jpg

Not saying EVs are the best in terms of solutions for everyone but this simple picture doesn't explain more how just efficient they are in terms of actual energy used to travel a distance.

Need to perfect the refueling part for the end user next

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
View attachment 52742

Not saying EVs are the best in terms of solutions for everyone but this simple picture doesn't explain more how just efficient they are in terms of actual energy used to travel a distance.

Need to perfect the refueling part for the end user next
it is an interesting way to visualise it... but you are underplaying Transmission losses .. I would assume T&D losses to be around 8-10%..
.. and i like the BMW 330 over a Tesla S.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it is an interesting way to visualise it... but you are underplaying Transmission losses .. I would assume T&D losses to be around 8-10%..

Oh indeed personal choice of car is a hard one to win over

However other cars are available, I just saw it on another forum and thought it was a very good way of showing just how efficient everything is in real terms

That's without cost in there aswell , and without super charging the % drop off is a lot less

So many variables

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having a discussion with a colleague and it’s interesting that the HMRC mileage rate on EV’s for company cars does not cover his actual costs. Yes, under octopus he gets 7p p/kwh but using fast chargers he is paying as high as 35p p/kwh and it’s subsequently costing him about £200 a month in difference.

I’ll stick to my oil burner at 60mpg until HMRC get their act together and the charging network expends.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

i3 (no, not the Little Tykes size one) is coming aparantly. From what I read BMW want to have a full line up from 3 series to 7 series amd a fully X range of electric options by 2025.

No idea if it will happen but considering that in just over 18 months you now have i4, i5, i7, iX1, iX2, iX3 and iX models they are pushing it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having a discussion with a colleague and it’s interesting that the HMRC mileage rate on EV’s for company cars does not cover his actual costs. Yes, under octopus he gets 7p p/kwh but using fast chargers he is paying as high as 35p p/kwh and it’s subsequently costing him about £200 a month in difference.

I’ll stick to my oil burner at 60mpg until HMRC get their act together and the charging network expends.

What's the rate for HMRC ATM? Tbh 35p a kw Is cheap! The chargers I'm using this week are going to be 85p a kw

Edit I found it 9p a mile

That isn't great as that works out about 34p a kw, but if your using fast chargers that are well above that your very out of pocket