The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice

I already have a smart meter so no issue there,
The price of the charger includes installation and it is spread over the term of the lease so when the next lease ends the charger is mine to keep.
I will be setting up the switch a couple of months before the car is to be delivered.

Just need to get order a couple of accessories before it comes such as a dog guard for the boot and a bootliner to protect the carpet from the dog

Sounds like good planning 👍

Try zapmap for chargers on the go

Good app

Octopus intelligent is a great tariff. 6 hours super low charging plus any extra slots they throw at you your whole house gets at the low price

Wife loves her Kona excellent choice

Have to admit I steel it as a run around sometimes as it's super efficient

They also have to sort out the mindset of people so they don't just plug in, check in and leave the car to hog the charger.

Idling fees of £1 a minute the only way to stop it

I agree. The issue I find when travelling is that hotels usually have maximum 2 chargers. Some only have one. The Holiday Inn Express in Crewe has a parking space next to its charger that you can only fit an electric moped into! And I would say that the current reliability of these chargers is pretty poor as well.
The infrastructure is better, but there is still a long way to go.

Yeah token chargers are some of the worst ideas out there

By all means have 4 chargers but they would then need to be minimum 50kw and fee for idling so people charge, and leave free for the next guy

Maybe the hotel could provide a charge and move your car service

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree. The issue I find when travelling is that hotels usually have maximum 2 chargers. Some only have one. The Holiday Inn Express in Crewe has a parking space next to its charger that you can only fit an electric moped into! And I would say that the current reliability of these chargers is pretty poor as well.
The infrastructure is better, but there is still a long way to go.

Just watched a what car video

They did 10 charge stops to check the charge network

They set a 15 min wait deadline

First one they had to wait 17 mins (on 15 mins the car next to them was 99% so was silly not to wait) but soon as the car next to them had finish they could unplug it themselves and use the charger

Stop 2 no wait

Stop 3 offline (but they did say it was said to be offline on zapmap they just wanted to check if zapmap was right)
Stop 4 no wait
Stop 5 no wait
Stop 6 offline (again zapmap said it was)
Stop 7 no wait
Stop 8 no wait
Stop 9 no wait
Stop 10 offline (zap again said off)

They didn't want to end of on a downer so went to number 11 a service station

They had to actually wait 15 mins which was annoying

But out of the 11 chargers they had to wait at 2 and 3 were offline. The positives from this video I took was zapmap is very good
at updating if offline

They were disappointed that Cobham services (stop 11) only had 6 chargers. Simply not enough

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have tested it and it is nice.

Need to get a charger myself :mad:

I can fully recommend an ohme pro (or zappi if you have solar) I say ohme pro because they come with a tethered lead (can get one without) but mainly because they are compatible with the most smart EV tariffs out there

Octopus and OVO do the best deal for EV drivers depending on your needs (octopus myself)

Tethered is my personal choice because it's less faff with the cable that comes with the car. Just leave it hanging there.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
They also have to sort out the mindset of people so they don't just plug in, check in and leave the car to hog the charger.
They are starting to incur punitive penalties if you stay over the allowed time (e.g. at my first hotel it was £10 per hour if you went over your 3 hours). In reality, with a PHEV, that isn't long enough due to the low charging it can take. I had to go back and do a second charge to fully charge it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
This is the single car charging point at the Holiday Inn Express in Crewe. What this photo doesn't show you is that there is a foot square concrete post for the building support on one side, the fence on the other, and the parking road behind it is only just wide enough for one car with a wooden fence behind so it's almost impossible to manoeuvre any vehicle into it. For my Skoda Superb it is impossible. If free, I park in the space where the white car is and pull the wire to it.
But I have rarely seen it used because of the access issues. I wouldn't mind if there wasn't plenty of better places all around the hotel. But there are. This is probably the worst place they could have put it. It's a pretty pointless installation.
HIX Crewe car charging.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the single car charging point at the Holiday Inn Express in Crewe. What this photo doesn't show you is that there is a foot square concrete post for the building support on one side, the fence on the other, and the parking road behind it is only just wide enough for one car with a wooden fence behind so it's almost impossible to manoeuvre any vehicle into it. For my Skoda Superb it is impossible. If free, I park in the space where the white car is and pull the wire to it.
But I have rarely seen it used because of the access issues. I wouldn't mind if there wasn't plenty of better places all around the hotel. But there are. This is probably the worst place they could have put it. It's a pretty pointless installation.
View attachment 52356

That's proper tokenism like on a menu we have veggie options (salad)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have tested it and it is nice.

Need to get a charger myself :mad:
Personally I went untethered mainly based upon cost. I already have a lead . Why buy another one?

However I only charge the car up once a week so put up with a small bit of extra work to get it charged.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a dig at electric cars, just an update from a user who wants out and wishes he never bought. On top of the 120k purchase price 2 years ago to circa 40k current value, what schocked me was that Porsche would not even take it as trade in against a second hand 911 that he wants to swap to as the market is flooded with cars.

Conversely, you would have to say that 40 odd grand to buy a secondhand 2 year old Taycan could be a good option for many others.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
My first long trip was planned for may. (Bath and back with staying down for 3 days)

However the Mrs is in a very kind mood

So in Easter I'm doing overtime on one day. Driving down 9pm after work to Southampton. Got a nice premier inn booked

Golf the next morning, after golf driving down to bath to have dinner at my mates.

Now she doesn't finish work until 5, I finish golf around 2 and she's 50 miles from Southampton. So the same charger we gonna use in may going to test out.

Zapmap with a conservative 240 mile to a charge (I get more) says I'll arrive in bath with 40% (will leave home with 100% and top up at work) so I'll top up to 80% then go for dinner.

Will give me at worst 190 miles range which the drive home is 155 miles.

Should be a good test without the kids to make sure all fine when kids are there and also chance for golf with the best man from my wedding and dinner with my mate.

Happy days 🥳

Which course are you planning on playing?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I went untethered mainly based upon cost. I already have a lead . Why buy another one?

However I only charge the car up once a week so put up with a small bit of extra work to get it charged.

I find tethered is much preferred as you don't need to go putting away cable in the rain, and if your charging say every night it just makes sense
Which course are you planning on playing?

Oh nothing exciting tbh, just paultons next to Peppa pig world lol we have played dibden before but last time he wanted to go there as it's nicer. Enjoyed it myself and I'm staying in that premier inn so makes sense

Tbh it's more about the company than the golf, we only get to meet up twice a year these days. Altho this year he's coming up the week before to play my course

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I find tethered is much preferred as you don't need to go putting away cable in the rain, and if your charging say every night it just makes sense

Oh nothing exciting tbh, just paultons next to Peppa pig world lol we have played dibden before but last time he wanted to go there as it's nicer. Enjoyed it myself and I'm staying in that premier inn so makes sense

Tbh it's more about the company than the golf, we only get to meet up twice a year these days. Altho this year he's coming up the week before to play my course

It might have dried out by then 😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find tethered is much preferred as you don't need to go putting away cable in the rain.
If it is raining I tend to be staying in the house and waiting for it to stop before disconnecting the cable. Most of the cable is under the car so it is only the ends that need to be dried.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is raining I tend to be staying in the house and waiting for it to stop before disconnecting the cable. Most of the cable is under the car so it is only the ends that need to be dried.

I'm more thinking of the mess tbh, I keep a towel in the car for when I charge at work and dry the cable because it gets dirt on it and it's messy

Tethered one has been brilliant, plug in and forget then just hang up next to it

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair we are soaked but drains well so best in area

What ones are chalk? Might branch out
I dont think anythin particularly close to there. Royal Winchester or Hockley probably the closest, or could head down to Poole area and you have Broadstone/Parkstone/Ferndown, but then the green fees will be substantially higher.