The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm no mechanic but I'd say there would be less for an EV as there would be no oil to change, no spark plugs, no emissions to test, no cam belt and filters.

I was just going on what Autotrader says. However, after checking, the VED for a 2023 model is £170 which seems more realistic

Depends bob, my 2 need to be serviced less. They con you with the Hyundai to service every year with a £90 inspection, and every other year is the more costly. Every 4 years is a very expensive coolant change as that's the coolant they used

The Kia on the other hand is 2 yearly services and every 2nd service is more expensive but not as expensive as the Hyundai

I did post it before if I find it I'll link it

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that just ICE service or are electric cheaper? Which are better on depreciation, which is the biggest cost usually?
Not sure about one off costs as they don’t really advertise them (I do know the 8 series is £484 for service A, but that is two years after registration, M340 was £314 after 18 months), however monthly service plan costs for comparison;

4 series, £25.99 per month
i4, £14.99 per month

Both 36 month plans.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not quite a month yet but well into using both of the cars now

We been using the Kia as my work, golf and the family car

Hyundai has been just the run around, when I'm not about or like today just me and the kids so took it out for a spin

I had it delivered to work with 100% battery, drove 25 miles home

I've done lots of little trips , about 50 miles in total. It's down to 74% not been charged yet

It's so efficient I've been using it over the Kia for small trips. Getting 4.5 to 5 miles per kWh which is remarkable.. average 4 in the Kia

Prefer driving the Kia as it's more luxurious but the Hyundai is a proper go kart. Lots of fun

Will do the smart charge with octopus later in the month to get it back up to 80% .. it's literally going to charge once a month at this rate

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Posting without comment......

View attachment 52315

To be fair this is from months ago and he has been attacked for the article

Key point

The pressure group told peers in a letter that was shared: "One of the most damaging articles was a comment piece written by Rowan Atkinson in The Guardian which has been roundly debunked.

"Unfortunately, fact checks never reach the same breadth of audience as the original false claim, emphasising the need to ensure high editorial standards around the net zero transition."

Once again the article rears it head and has the negative effect but the fact check doesn't appear.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Does he really have that much influence? I think I would rather check a review in carwow, fully charged, what car or similar on YouTube than reading an article.

Will it depress supply of cars or demand? If they build them and no one buys them, maybe they are getting into our price range eventually;-)

I still like the idea of an ID.buzz, and for whatever reason I started to notice a lot more of them since last week. Maybe they sorted out the supply times.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does he really have that much influence? I think I would rather check a review in carwow, fully charged, what car or similar on YouTube than reading an article.

Will it depress supply of cars or demand? If they build them and no one buys them, maybe they are getting into our price range eventually;-)

I still like the idea of an ID.buzz, and for whatever reason I started to notice a lot more of them since last week. Maybe they sorted out the supply times.

Every single negative article from the press has an impact and when someone tags it with "I have a back ground in electric engineering" it carries weight

Expected better from him

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Every single negative article from the press has an impact and when someone tags it with "I have a back ground in electric engineering" it carries weight

Expected better from him

But does it really have that much impact? In terms of global sales, what percentage? Very little I imagine. Living outside the U.K. and seeing virtually no articles on any issues of any note, it might mean something to everyone living in the U.K. but it has zero impact outside the U.K.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But does it really have that much impact? In terms of global sales, what percentage? Very little I imagine. Living outside the U.K. and seeing virtually no articles on any issues of any note, it might mean something to everyone living in the U.K. but it has zero impact outside the U.K.

The issue is UK based tho, massive agenda from the media which has been highlighted by the lord's and such.

It's not effecting global sales

And tbh it's just recycling old stores. That was June last year. Yet it's march this year and it gets around again for zero reason. This isn't a dig at who posted it because they obviously have seen it somewhere, question is why is it still being branded about in that place now. Where as the fact check article is never posted.

Takes 1 article to fuel (pun Intended) the anti EV side yet will take 20 fact checks and still the damage won't be undone. Some will still believe the rubbish written.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The issue is UK based tho, massive agenda from the media which has been highlighted by the lord's and such.

It's not effecting global sales

And tbh it's just recycling old stores. That was June last year. Yet it's march this year and it gets around again for zero reason. This isn't a dig at who posted it because they obviously have seen it somewhere, question is why is it still being branded about in that place now. Where as the fact check article is never posted.

Takes 1 article to fuel (pun Intended) the anti EV side yet will take 20 fact checks and still the damage won't be undone. Some will still believe the rubbish written.

I very much doubt it has much impact at all. Anyone who is really interested in spending mega bucks on an EV will do their own research. Do you not think you’re overreacting to the article because of your own bias, just as someone who is anti will latch onto it too?

All the data about efficiency and performance far outweighs the small volume of rubbish published.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I very much doubt it has much impact at all. Anyone who is really interested in spending mega bucks on an EV will do their own research. Do you not think you’re overreacting to the article because of your own bias, just as someone who is anti will latch onto it too?

All the data about efficiency and performance far outweighs the small volume of rubbish published.

Sorry but when the article has been called out by a select committee itself I hardly think I can be over reacting by simply pointing out the article has been debunked and disproven.

Fact checking

I mean people fact check enough any positive post about EVs it's all balance.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. It does indeed debunk some of Atkinson's remarks.
It's clear that EVs have a lower lifecycle impact on the environment than cars running on fossil fuels.

That said, I remain concerned that the regulators appear to have a blinkered view and seem to be putting all their eggs into the BEV basket, with the danger of stifling research into other possible solutions.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s been a while since I posted my charging challenges. It’s been about a month since I finally figured out how to autocharge at home. We also switched to Octopus solar tarrif around the same time.

After fighting the car, the charger and the supplier.. finally figured out that I should ignore the car settings and just use the charger. A few emails with the charger company and they got sick of dealing with dumb customer. So they overrode all my settings remotely with the recommended settings!!

Now when the car is back every evening, me or the Mrs will plug it into the charger. This is now a habit and we don’t think about it. Then Octopus will decide what time it should charge the car to be ready for 6am. Most days it will start around 11:30, but some days it starts earlier. If plugged in during weekends, it can charge at different times during the day. I usually charge to 80%

In all of last month, haven’t had much range anxiety or planning - most of our daily journeys are under 200 miles. Only once I had to use a massively expensive (but quick) public charger. It was coupled with a lunch break on the way back from Birmingham. Unfortunately, I do have a very inefficient car with a small battery. Even so, we tend to use the EV more than our petrol runaround. I have not been to the petrol garage in all of last month.

I have posted endlessly about my charging situation and what I learnt in the process. But I think it is starting to settle into a routine now.

(This post has not been sponsored by the EV brigade)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. It does indeed debunk some of Atkinson's remarks.
It's clear that EVs have a lower lifecycle impact on the environment than cars running on fossil fuels.

That said, I remain concerned that the regulators appear to have a blinkered view and seem to be putting all their eggs into the BEV basket, with the danger of stifling research into other possible solutions.

I believe they have left things too late with inaction over decades that they have jumped on the best solution available now.

That said it's sad we need weekly ev myth busters because the press are doing their best to bury them. Almost like they have interest in oil companies profits.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s been a while since I posted my charging challenges. It’s been about a month since I finally figured out how to autocharge at home. We also switched to Octopus solar tarrif around the same time.

After fighting the car, the charger and the supplier.. finally figured out that I should ignore the car settings and just use the charger. A few emails with the charger company and they got sick of dealing with dumb customer. So they overrode all my settings remotely with the recommended settings!!

Now when the car is back every evening, me or the Mrs will plug it into the charger. This is now a habit and we don’t think about it. Then Octopus will decide what time it should charge the car to be ready for 6am. Most days it will start around 11:30, but some days it starts earlier. If plugged in during weekends, it can charge at different times during the day. I usually charge to 80%

In all of last month, haven’t had much range anxiety or planning - most of our daily journeys are under 200 miles. Only once I had to use a massively expensive (but quick) public charger. It was coupled with a lunch break on the way back from Birmingham. Unfortunately, I do have a very inefficient car with a small battery. Even so, we tend to use the EV more than our petrol runaround. I have not been to the petrol garage in all of last month.

I have posted endlessly about my charging situation and what I learnt in the process. But I think it is starting to settle into a routine now.

I'm not on intelligent octopus , in their guide video they said set up all the settings via my charger and disable all settings on the car

Working well thus far but I don't charge much at home

Over a year on average 2 times a month

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We seem to be in the peak EV stock Bubble… They are all falling.

Rumour has it that Fisker is going into administration. Wells Fargo has put a ‘sell’ on Tesla

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Which EV do you have?