The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first long trip was planned for may. (Bath and back with staying down for 3 days)

However the Mrs is in a very kind mood

So in Easter I'm doing overtime on one day. Driving down 9pm after work to Southampton. Got a nice premier inn booked

Golf the next morning, after golf driving down to bath to have dinner at my mates.

Now she doesn't finish work until 5, I finish golf around 2 and she's 50 miles from Southampton. So the same charger we gonna use in may going to test out.

Zapmap with a conservative 240 mile to a charge (I get more) says I'll arrive in bath with 40% (will leave home with 100% and top up at work) so I'll top up to 80% then go for dinner.

Will give me at worst 190 miles range which the drive home is 155 miles.

Should be a good test without the kids to make sure all fine when kids are there and also chance for golf with the best man from my wedding and dinner with my mate.

Happy days 🥳

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My first long trip was planned for may. (Bath and back with staying down for 3 days)

However the Mrs is in a very kind mood

So in Easter I'm doing overtime on one day. Driving down 9pm after work to Southampton. Got a nice premier inn booked

Golf the next morning, after golf driving down to bath to have dinner at my mates.

Now she doesn't finish work until 5, I finish golf around 2 and she's 50 miles from Southampton. So the same charger we gonna use in may going to test out.

Zapmap with a conservative 240 mile to a charge (I get more) says I'll arrive in bath with 40% (will leave home with 100% and top up at work) so I'll top up to 80% then go for dinner.

Will give me at worst 190 miles range which the drive home is 155 miles.

Should be a good test without the kids to make sure all fine when kids are there and also chance for golf with the best man from my wedding and dinner with my mate.

Happy days 🥳
if they had put so much thought into it, we would not have had the Horizon scandal :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So my list of vehicles available has been presented to me.

I am going with a BMW i4 Gran Coupe 40 Sport. The 330e was just too damn small.

That's a nice car. Have you had a chance to test drive it?

Are they giving you a home charger or is that for you to sort?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A combination of things recently made me look at my current car and changing to an EV.
My company car (Skoda Super iV) is up for a change. I have received the list and there is a mixture of petrol, diesel, electric or hybrid. As (bad) luck would have it, the list isn't great at the moment. I did consider the Skoda Enyaq but their is only the 60 model available. A quick check showed that it has a range of 210 miles. 😳
Now this came at the same time I was going to drive down from East Kilbride to Horley. That's a 440 mile journey. That would mean at least 2 stops to recharge en-route. On a 8 hour journey, plus quick stops for natural breaks and food, that makes it even longer. My Superb did over 600 miles on the one tank. I arrived at the hotel with 180 miles still available.
My job involves driving long distances so I really don't want to spend even more time charging the car, and hoping they are working are free. And on the motorway, they charging cost is certainly not cheap. The first hotel I stayed at had one charger but you had a max of 3 hours charging and other people where using it as well. The second hotel I was stopping at didn't have any chargers so I could not even charge overnight. So if I had an EV, I'd then have to find a hotel that has a charger, and that it works and is free (not always the case I can assure you).
In the end, I was able to extend the lease on my Superb iV for another 18 months and I am happy with that choice.
In my current role, I just don't see an EV as being a practical option for the distances I cover. If I was driving locally, I would certainly consider an EV, but at the moment it doesn't fit in with my needs.
And even then, I would still have to plan for the long journeys to see my kids.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A combination of things recently made me look at my current car and changing to an EV.
My company car (Skoda Super iV) is up for a change. I have received the list and there is a mixture of petrol, diesel, electric or hybrid. As (bad) luck would have it, the list isn't great at the moment. I did consider the Skoda Enyaq but their is only the 60 model available. A quick check showed that it has a range of 210 miles. 😳
Now this came at the same time I was going to drive down from East Kilbride to Horley. That's a 440 mile journey. That would mean at least 2 stops to recharge en-route. On a 8 hour journey, plus quick stops for natural breaks and food, that makes it even longer. My Superb did over 600 miles on the one tank. I arrived at the hotel with 180 miles still available.
My job involves driving long distances so I really don't want to spend even more time charging the car, and hoping they are working are free. And on the motorway, they charging cost is certainly not cheap. The first hotel I stayed at had one charger but you had a max of 3 hours charging and other people where using it as well. The second hotel I was stopping at didn't have any chargers so I could not even charge overnight. So if I had an EV, I'd then have to find a hotel that has a charger, and that it works and is free (not always the case I can assure you).
In the end, I was able to extend the lease on my Superb iV for another 18 months and I am happy with that choice.
In my current role, I just don't see an EV as being a practical option for the distances I cover. If I was driving locally, I would certainly consider an EV, but at the moment it doesn't fit in with my needs.
And even then, I would still have to plan for the long journeys to see my kids.

Did they have a Tesla on there? If you have to do long distance they are king (of EV) because their network of chargers is fantastic

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Not withstanding my comments above, this is a deal I have just seen on HotUKDeals that may appeal to some.
Whilst not for everyone, it would probably make a decent local commuter.

All-New Dacia Spring 100% Electric City Car + £250 to spend on accessories, charging credit or towards a home charger - £14,495

2b9c4c08e6.webp

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Did they have a Tesla on there? If you have to do long distance they are king (of EV) because their network of chargers is fantastic
No Teslas. Lots of other brands but no Teslas. I know their network is good but if you are not driving a Tesla, then the charging choices are greatly reduced.
I did notice that most motorway services are putting in more non-Tesla chargers but that's still an ongoing process. The range issues, and charging at hotels are the same however, whatever the make and model.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No Teslas. Lots of other brands but no Teslas. I know their network is good but if you are not driving a Tesla, then the charging choices are greatly reduced.
I did notice that most motorway services are putting in more non-Tesla chargers but that's still an ongoing process. The range issues, and charging at hotels are the same however, whatever the make and model.

They really need hotels to get chargers in, my trip I posted above the hotel doesn't have a charger. Can't help but think it's a massive opportunity missed.. install say 10 chargers. Price high because people stay there they will pay because it's simple. Chargers would pay for themselves in no time

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Taken the plunge and ordered my new car today :) been checking the prices and they went up again yesterday so ordered it from my previous quote.
Gone for Hyundai Kona N-line in sailing blue. Also ordered an Ohme charger to be fitted so will be looking to move to octupus energy later in the year.
Current lease does not finish till November so requested the new one to be delivered on that date. Got quite a wait but looking forward to joining the EV world

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taken the plunge and ordered my new car today :) been checking the prices and they went up again yesterday so ordered it from my previous quote.
Gone for Hyundai Kona N-line in sailing blue. Also ordered an Ohme charger to be fitted so will be looking to move to octupus energy later in the year.
Current lease does not finish till November so requested the new one to be delivered on that date. Got quite a wait but looking forward to joining the EV world

Which ohme did you go for the tethered ohme pro or just the socket? I had an ohme pro installed 2 weeks ago and was impressed how simple is was to get onto octopus intelligent

Kona is a lovely car. I got my wife the 2020 one, good run about for her.

Enjoy

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Which ohme did you go for the tethered ohme pro or just the socket? I had an ohme pro installed 2 weeks ago and was impressed how simple is was to get onto octopus intelligent

Kona is a lovely car. I got my wife the 2020 one, good run about for her.

Enjoy
Im not sure which one it will be. As I did the order it asked if I wanted an home charger fitting and the choices were Ohme or Podpoint so just selected Ohme. I guess I will find out when it is fitted.

I went and had a look a couple of weeks ago but they only had the advance trim in. I prefer the look of the sportier n-line from pics I have seen and the improved spec helps. I would have liked to get the n-line s but couldnt justify the extra cost per month for the few differences in spec

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im not sure which one it will be. As I did the order it asked if I wanted an home charger fitting and the choices were Ohme or Podpoint so just selected Ohme. I guess I will find out when it is fitted.

I went and had a look a couple of weeks ago but they only had the advance trim in. I prefer the look of the sportier n-line from pics I have seen and the improved spec helps. I would have liked to get the n-line s but couldnt justify the extra cost per month for the few differences in spec

The ohme over the podpoint is an excellent choice. With ohme you will have an array of smart tariffs open to you where as podpoint don't have them (I replaced a podpoint with the ohme)

Things to have set up if you can before the car arrives

Get a smart meter if you don't have one
Get on the provider you want to be with so when the car arrives you can just switch
Get the charger installed if you can

Keeps things to a minimum issue wise when it arrives

I did all this when I took my first ev in 2020 and because of it was pretty seamless

Then when my current EV and my wife's EV arrived it was like just changing an ice car as we had everything ready

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
The ohme over the podpoint is an excellent choice. With ohme you will have an array of smart tariffs open to you where as podpoint don't have them (I replaced a podpoint with the ohme)

Things to have set up if you can before the car arrives

Get a smart meter if you don't have one
Get on the provider you want to be with so when the car arrives you can just switch
Get the charger installed if you can

Keeps things to a minimum issue wise when it arrives

I did all this when I took my first ev in 2020 and because of it was pretty seamless

Then when my current EV and my wife's EV arrived it was like just changing an ice car as we had everything ready
Thanks for the advice

I already have a smart meter so no issue there,
The price of the charger includes installation and it is spread over the term of the lease so when the next lease ends the charger is mine to keep.
I will be setting up the switch a couple of months before the car is to be delivered.

Just need to get order a couple of accessories before it comes such as a dog guard for the boot and a bootliner to protect the carpet from the dog

Robster59

Tour Rookie
They really need hotels to get chargers in, my trip I posted above the hotel doesn't have a charger. Can't help but think it's a massive opportunity missed.. install say 10 chargers. Price high because people stay there they will pay because it's simple. Chargers would pay for themselves in no time
I agree. The issue I find when travelling is that hotels usually have maximum 2 chargers. Some only have one. The Holiday Inn Express in Crewe has a parking space next to its charger that you can only fit an electric moped into! And I would say that the current reliability of these chargers is pretty poor as well.
The infrastructure is better, but there is still a long way to go.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree. The issue I find when travelling is that hotels usually have maximum 2 chargers. Some only have one. The Holiday Inn Express in Crewe has a parking space next to its charger that you can only fit an electric moped into! And I would say that the current reliability of these chargers is pretty poor as well.
The infrastructure is better, but there is still a long way to go.
They also have to sort out the mindset of people so they don't just plug in, check in and leave the car to hog the charger.