The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit like the “EV cars catch fire,” hydrogen has had an unfair bad press at times. Wonder which industry might put that out there… ;)

Lol good point, surprised at shell tho. Thought they wouldn't leave it high and dry considering they already have the infrastructure

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
India is the sleeping giant that is going to make a push to hydrogen. All the announcements are around it.. but it is a 10 yr projection. It will change passenger cars into EV, but commercial is likely to go hydrogen. Putting the infrastructure in place for a country the size of India is mind boggling.. it has also pushed into natural gas in a big way for the next 10 years. Plus building some of the biggest solar plants and now subsidising home solar.
In the speed to become a developed nation, it is cranking up energy on all fronts

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Results are in for the zappi

Zappi direct will REPLACE the podpoint for £1100 with a zappi

Octopus will only do a new install (so will have 2 chargers on site) for £1050

Local sparky wanted £1200 to REPLACE the podpoint

Tbh I think the replace options are taking the Mick

You can pick these units up for £750 odd . So your telling me it's £350-450 to swap them over using the same wiring?

When for £300 octopus will run new cables

Yeah I'll go with octopus thanks

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Results are in for the zappi

Zappi direct will REPLACE the podpoint for £1100 with a zappi

Octopus will only do a new install (so will have 2 chargers on site) for £1050

Local sparky wanted £1200 to REPLACE the podpoint

Tbh I think the replace options are taking the Mick

You can pick these units up for £750 odd . So your telling me it's £350-450 to swap them over using the same wiring?

When for £300 octopus will run new cables

Yeah I'll go with octopus thanks

Well that's a turn up

A friend of mine is a sparky and will change the charger for the price of petrol / keeping the old charger to sell on eBay as he likes to keep things out of landfill.

Ohme pro ordered instead as it's the cheapest way to get onto octopus intelligent

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im considering going EV when my current work lease is up. As part of the lease of the EV they will install a 7kW charger at my house.
The options are Ohme or Pod Point. I have had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be much difference between them.
Do any of you guys in the know have any idea which one is the best to go for?

Look at your leccy supplier, see if they do an EV charging rate and if they require a specific charger.

I went for OHME because it was one of the ones that work with both OVO and Octopus.

Worth checking if you can get the install done before getting the car.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look at your leccy supplier, see if they do an EV charging rate and if they require a specific charger.

I went for OHME because it was one of the ones that work with both OVO and Octopus.

Id echo this last point..mudball had real issues charging before his install

And installs take up to 12 weeks ATM

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks, I am currently with British Gas and they do an EV rate but am not locked into a fixed rate so can leave any time.
My current lease ends on the 14th November so I will be ordering the car well in advance. I will be making sure the charger s installed before the car is delivered aswell.
I just need to decide what car to go for now, I am currently down to a choice of 2

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, I am currently with British Gas and they do an EV rate but am not locked into a fixed rate so can leave any time.
My current lease ends on the 14th November so I will be ordering the car well in advance. I will be making sure the charger s installed before the car is delivered aswell.
I just need to decide what car to go for now, I am currently down to a choice of 2

Do you have a smart meter? They are pretty much required for EV tariffs

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Another thing that seems stupid. It seems confusing, what type of charge, what type of charging, what type of connection, when will it work, will my supplier support it, what happend if my supplier goes bust, what if I change cars and so on

Do we never learn anything. 1 all in 1 charger that fits all cars that have the same connection which will work regardless of swapping vehicles. Supported by all to help vehicle uptake. Installed simply and quickly in all locations at a reasonable price to again encourage take up or even supplied with all new acrs as standard. Probably too much to ask

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another thing that seems stupid. It seems confusing, what type of charge, what type of charging, what type of connection, when will it work, will my supplier support it, what happend if my supplier goes bust, what if I change cars and so on

Do we never learn anything. 1 all in 1 charger that fits all cars that have the same connection which will work regardless of swapping vehicles. Supported by all to help vehicle uptake. Installed simply and quickly in all locations at a reasonable price to again encourage take up or even supplied with all new acrs as standard. Probably too much to ask

All cars use type 2 chargers now , only MK1 leafs use type 1

However an untether charge point is simply a case of use the cable that comes with the car

If a supplier goes bust you move to a new one

Ohme chargers are pretty much industry supported for smart charging

Long as you have a smart meter your fine

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
All cars use type 2 chargers now , only MK1 leafs use type 1

However an untether charge point is simply a case of use the cable that comes with the car

If a supplier goes bust you move to a new one

Ohme chargers are pretty much industry supported for smart charging

Long as you have a smart meter your fine
Yep but it is still not as simple as it could or should be and no guarantee it won’t change again.

I appreciate your support of EV cars but like some of the other topics it is the unwavering support regardless and ignoring of other salient points which then are not addressed we get instead that dreaded word BUT, there is this or that.

It feels like blind loyalty and fanboyism rather than an open look at any issues which makes it really difficult to appreciate the stuff being said.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep but it is still not as simple as it could or should be and no guarantee it won’t change again.

I appreciate your support of EV cars but like some of the other topics it is the unwavering support regardless and ignoring of other salient points which then are not addressed we get instead that dreaded word BUT, there is this or that.

It feels like blind loyalty and fanboyism rather than an open look at any issues which makes it really difficult to appreciate the stuff being said.

Type 2 chargers became standard in 2013 so we are a decade into their life

All manufacturers have to use them

CCS is another matter. All manufacturers do now is up the speed CCS can take (that's DC charger that goes over the type 2 charger) my car can only take 75kw but an EV 6 can take 350kw I believe

Same connection just different speed

Type 2 maximum is 22kw. Max at home is 11kw. Standard is 7kw but it can take any of them

It's future proof already

Like I said. You change your cable to fit

But because type 2 is the standard port all cars come with a type 2 to type 2 lead

Say type 3 suddenly came. You would have a type 2 to type 3 lead

But nobody is even rumoured to be upgrading the leads

It's like usb c. We have reached the pinnacle and law has taken over and made it standard across all future products.

All these "situations" are what ifs.

What if batteries update
What if charges change
What if the world ends tomorrow

Even if 2 of them happen you can still charge and use the EV you own to suit your needs.

A better tech might come along but until then make hay whilst the sun shines.

£37 10,000 miles cost me last year due to a combination of cheap overnight and free charging

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think so, the choice was between a Kia Niro (3) or Hyundai Kona (Advance) with comfort pack.
They are both very similar spec but the Hyundai has an heat pump so I think that is going to swing it

Ironically I own both (but the Hyundai arrives Tuesday)

I love the niro. I have the 4 with the heat pump .. it's a game changer

But you won't go wrong with the Hyundai

Much of a much

One thing I will say (not sure if this will sway) is the niro fits a carry bag in the boot without taking out the driver!! I fit my bag, trolly, shoes etc all in the boot with room to spare

My Hyundai is a 2020 plate tho so I haven't seen much of the new one but the reviews are good and its the niros sister car

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
** long post alert**
Appreciate there are some EV 'old hands' on here, but as a relative noob and maybe going down a less common path I thought I'd share my progress and some things (I think) I've learned - in case of use to anyone in future.

For now we are sticking with a 3 pin charging approach. There appear to be many 3 pin options available with variable amps throughput. Being able to go lower could be of use if perhaps at a property with less modern electrics. However they generally seem to start at 13A and you alter after it starts. That wouldn't be practical for us, so I bought one that is fixed at 10A. (Think this is UK recommended).

Have a consumer unit in the garage, and it had a single socket going direct at an okay location, so that was chosen.

As looking to take advantage of the split rate tarrifs and being cautious (perhaps overly) I bought a setup that contained an RCD plus timer switch (linked up to smart life app), that goes to a decent outdoor socket. The goal being that it is all just left plugged in, so only have to think about popping the cable in the car and forget about it.

Expect this is uneccessary but also pick up an 'EV rated' socket while at it, so swapped that into the garage also.

Once had reserved the car, booked the smart meter fitting (as hadn't bothered before). That was done in a couple of days. But then switched supplier as current didn't have a tarrif that fitted.
Three nights in, since switch-over, and so far so good. Will be a while until a proper bill, but the smart meter display seems in line with expectations.

Happy to receive PMs if any specific questions on the purchases, or any general Qs on here.

Hope that didn't bore too many 😁

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
** long post alert**
Appreciate there are some EV 'old hands' on here, but as a relative noob and maybe going down a less common path I thought I'd share my progress and some things (I think) I've learned - in case of use to anyone in future.

For now we are sticking with a 3 pin charging approach. There appear to be many 3 pin options available with variable amps throughput. Being able to go lower could be of use if perhaps at a property with less modern electrics. However they generally seem to start at 13A and you alter after it starts. That wouldn't be practical for us, so I bought one that is fixed at 10A. (Think this is UK recommended).

Have a consumer unit in the garage, and it had a single socket going direct at an okay location, so that was chosen.

As looking to take advantage of the split rate tarrifs and being cautious (perhaps overly) I bought a setup that contained an RCD plus timer switch (linked up to smart life app), that goes to a decent outdoor socket. The goal being that it is all just left plugged in, so only have to think about popping the cable in the car and forget about it.

Expect this is uneccessary but also pick up an 'EV rated' socket while at it, so swapped that into the garage also.

Once had reserved the car, booked the smart meter fitting (as hadn't bothered before). That was done in a couple of days. But then switched supplier as current didn't have a tarrif that fitted.
Three nights in, since switch-over, and so far so good. Will be a while until a proper bill, but the smart meter display seems in line with expectations.

Happy to receive PMs if any specific questions on the purchases, or any general Qs on here.

Hope that didn't bore too many 😁

Welcome aboard. That wasn't long by my standards 😆 well done

The EV rated plug isn't a bad idea.. better safe than sorry.

10amp is best , 13amp is a bit too much for UK plugs when that is the plug limit so constant at that can cause overheating. Standard 10amp will be fine

Who did you go to supplier wise?

Have you looked at what charger to get? I'm upgrading my podpoint to a ohme in next couple months to finally get on intelligent octopus to save a further £175 a year lol 🤣

How you finding EV driving? Takes some getting used to is the first thoughts for most I find.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Welcome aboard. That wasn't long by my standards 😆 well done

The EV rated plug isn't a bad idea.. better safe than sorry.

10amp is best , 13amp is a bit too much for UK plugs when that is the plug limit so constant at that can cause overheating. Standard 10amp will be fine

Who did you go to supplier wise?

Have you looked at what charger to get? I'm upgrading my podpoint to a ohme in next couple months to finally get on intelligent octopus to save a further £175 a year lol 🤣

How you finding EV driving? Takes some getting used to is the first thoughts for most I find.
Plenty of 'reviews' on amazon & similar with blackened sockets where they were on 13A. Should be better regulated IMO.

Over to B Gas. Feels a little like stepping back into the 1990s 😄, as was on Ovo. But expect will be fine once the slow cogs finish turning.

Not rushing for a charge point, in true EV mindset I'm viewing them in terms of thousands of miles (pence per mile) outlay 😂.
If habits change, or move to a bigger/longer range vehicle then time to revisit.

Hasn't really taken much adjustment to me - having driven a hybrid for a long time (admittedly with small EV range) - e.g. was used to, and liked, regen braking.
Have been playing with the accessories monitor (consumption), as that is a change, but will likely the novelty will wear off quickly and just crack on.