The all things EV chat thread

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does high mileage affect EV second hand prices in the same way that it does for ICE vehicles? Been looking at Transit type/size vans for Mrs Colch's business and almost all of the cheaper ones have done huge mileage, over 25k per year, so assuming they're ex delivery vehicles for DPD or Amazon etc. With an EV there's relatively little to go wrong so would high mileage be such an issue, apart from on the actual real world range rather than manufacturer's claimed range?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does high mileage affect EV second hand prices in the same way that it does for ICE vehicles? Been looking at Transit type/size vans for Mrs Colch's business and almost all of the cheaper ones have done huge mileage, over 25k per year, so assuming they're ex delivery vehicles for DPD or Amazon etc. With an EV there's relatively little to go wrong so would high mileage be such an issue, apart from on the actual real world range rather than manufacturer's claimed range?
I would say 20k pa is normal for a van, BUT..many see a van as something to abuse and not spend money on. Personally, I would want a full dealer service history (could give you back up in the event of problems) plus probably a diesel.
Everyone I have spoken to about the leccy van they drive all say the same thing. Range is nothing like claimed and a major problem.

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today looking into EV home charging. I am waiting for Solar next week, but looking at 3 pin charging. Came across this video... very very interesting. I love a bit of a engineer nut too.. (attempt at your own risk)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Charging Experiment #2

Trying to charge graze with my home 3 pin adaptor. I am on a standard tariff, so plugged it in during the day. Cable is a bit dodgy, so had to give it a few goes before it would start.

>> Started at 11:05 with 56%/120m battery.. it says it will be 21:15 to get to 80%. Let us revisit around noon. Will provide an update after lunch

>> 1 hour update >> 12:08 >> 59% / 125m.. estimated end time 20:40

>> 2 hour update >> 13:03 >> 61% / 131m.. estimated end time 20:40

>> 3 hour update >> 14:06 >> 64% / 136n… estimate 20:40

>> 4 hr update >> 15:10 >> 66% / 142m.. estimate to charge > 20:15.

Seems to be a straight line .. every hour is about 3-4% without 4-6 miles being added.. the local temp is about 8-10 degrees..

I switched off Charging after 4 hours.. 4 hrs of 3 pin home charging gave me about 10% and 22 miles of charge. I will charge it overnight. The car app does not tell me how many KwH it consumed.. my supplier is currently on 30p KwH flat rate.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Charging Experiment #2

Trying to charge graze with my home 3 pin adaptor. I am on a standard tariff, so plugged it in during the day. Cable is a bit dodgy, so had to give it a few goes before it would start.

>> Started at 11:05 with 56%/120m battery.. it says it will be 21:15 to get to 80%. Let us revisit around noon. Will provide an update after lunch

If you do whilst you sleep aswell you wake u will wake up with what you need

Perfect until you can actually get your decent charger up. What did you go for?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you do whilst you sleep aswell you wake u will wake up with what you need

Perfect until you can actually get your decent charger up. What did you go for?

I am getting a Project EV charger... tat is being installed by the solar guys on Monday. Reviews are neither good nor bad. But it is an untethered one.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am getting a Project EV charger... tat is being installed by the solar guys on Monday. Reviews are neither good nor bad. But it is an untethered one.

Ah I'd of personally gone for ohme or as you have solar coming a zappi. They zappi can be set up to divert excess solar to the car

Project EV isn't bad just ohme and zappi work with octopus Intelligent

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah I'd of personally gone for ohme or as you have solar coming a zappi. They zappi can be set up to divert excess solar to the car

Project EV isn't bad just ohme and zappi work with octopus Intelligent

I have no choice in the matter.. that is the only one they offer. Else I will have to look for a different co to install the charger.

(Update) had a look at Zappi on the octopus website. 12-16 week lead time. Also says octopus go is compatible with 280

On the project ev website it says under benefits >>

“Through the Project EV app you can remotely change your charging settings, saving hundreds a year through the use of off peak energy tariffs such as Octopus Go”

So looks like Go is the tariff

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Charging Experiment #3: Overnight charging on 3pin

Since the afternoon charge, I had to do a station run.. 3 miles round trip and sitting around cost me 3% of my battery..

So I decided to give 3 pin overnight charging a go. Set it to charge start at 11:30 and finish by 4:45.

8 pm: 63% / 131 miles

11:30 it kicked in

3:45 am: woke up for the middle age, mid-sleep pee. Checked my phone and it was charging. Now I have one more thing to check at night

6 am: Mrs woke me up since her laptop was ‘stuck’. All it to took was my magic touch aka reboot and it was fine. Checked phone 80% charge completed at 5:14 am!! I don’t know if it breached my charging window of 4:45am to hit the 80% target.

Anyways looks like it went alright. Need to think of the car like a phone that you put to charge whenever possible.

Next weekend I am off to Kent to meet family. Really excited since they have a 7KwH charger.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no choice in the matter.. that is the only one they offer. Else I will have to look for a different co to install the charger.

(Update) had a look at Zappi on the octopus website. 12-16 week lead time. Also says octopus go is compatible with 280

On the project ev website it says under benefits >>

“Through the Project EV app you can remotely change your charging settings, saving hundreds a year through the use of off peak energy tariffs such as Octopus Go”

So looks like Go is the tariff

Octopus go is the standard EV tariff

What EV do you have? If you have one that's combinable with octopus go Intelligent you can go on that .. if you don't you would need a compatible charger, ohme or zappi.

Go you get 4 hours at (currently) 9p a kw for your entire house. Rest of time (in my area ATM) is 31p

Go intelligent you get 6 hours at 7.5p but the caveat Is they control your charge. So you say 80% by 6am and have to press map me a charge or whatever it's called .. and they will have you full by then using electric when it's cheapest (anytime they charge your car your house is run at 7.5p) you still get the 6 hour window at night regardless (4 on go, 6 on this)

One big thing with intelligent it will drain your battery unless you programme battery to fill up when it lets the car (can be done depending which battery)

If I ever get on that tariff I plan to use the 6 hour window 0030-0630 29 days a month then use one mapped charged a month to keep to the terms of the tariff

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Charging Experiment #3: Overnight charging on 3pin

Since the afternoon charge, I had to do a station run.. 3 miles round trip and sitting around cost me 3% of my battery..

So I decided to give 3 pin overnight charging a go. Set it to charge start at 11:30 and finish by 4:45.

8 pm: 63% / 131 miles

11:30 it kicked in

3:45 am: woke up for the middle age, mid-sleep pee. Checked my phone and it was charging. Now I have one more thing to check at night

6 am: Mrs woke me up since her laptop was ‘stuck’. All it to took was my magic touch aka reboot and it was fine. Checked phone 80% charge completed at 5:14 am!! I don’t know if it breached my charging window of 4:45am to hit the 80% target.

Anyways looks like it went alright. Need to think of the car like a phone that you put to charge whenever possible.

Next weekend I am off to Kent to meet family. Really excited since they have a 7KwH charger.

Any reason you don't just charge to 100%? The 80% "rule" has been disproven now. I've run mine to 100% all time 3 years no battery degrading at all

Basically the battery is never 100% .. it tells you it's 100% but it has reserve above it and below 0% so if it does degrade it's still 100%

For example mines 50kw battery 45kw usable

80% rule is for fast chargers because after 80% it can't handle the faster rate and slows down to a slower speed of 7-11kw anyways do zero point using after 80% but at home plug it in let it charge

Quick add when you have your 7kw charger 80% will be easier to manage but as you have your 3 pin ATM just let to charge to full then you have more wiggle room

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Octopus go is the standard EV tariff

What EV do you have? If you have one that's combinable with octopus go Intelligent you can go on that .. if you don't you would need a compatible charger, ohme or zappi.

Go you get 4 hours at (currently) 9p a kw for your entire house. Rest of time (in my area ATM) is 31p

Go intelligent you get 6 hours at 7.5p but the caveat Is they control your charge. So you say 80% by 6am and have to press map me a charge or whatever it's called .. and they will have you full by then using electric when it's cheapest (anytime they charge your car your house is run at 7.5p) you still get the 6 hour window at night regardless (4 on go, 6 on this)

One big thing with intelligent it will drain your battery unless you programme battery to fill up when it lets the car (can be done depending which battery)

If I ever get on that tariff I plan to use the 6 hour window 0030-0630 29 days a month then use one mapped charged a month to keep to the terms of the tariff
I need to read this again next week when I have solar + battery + charger installed. I plan to call Octopus to see if it is Go or Intelligent as the best option. We went Solar via our council’s Solar together initiative.
By their calculations we will not fill the 6k battery using solar.

In my happy place, I want Octopus to export all my solar to grid during the day and fill battery and car via night tariff. That way the additional battery makes all the sense. I don’t think I will charge car via solar directly as most weekdays the car is out.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BMW iX 40 … 80k new in April… 55k in Dec… ie 30% written off. bonkers
I have bought cars that are less than 18 months old for 4 of the last 5 car changes

1. £22k new bought for £12k 11months old
2. £26k new bought for £13k 1 year old
3. £22k new bought for £12.5K 18 months old but sat on the dealers forecourt for over 6 months
4.£40k new bought for £26k 6 months old preregistered with just 5 miles on the clock

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Charging Experiment #2

>> 3 hour update >> 14:06 >> 64% / 136n… estimate 20:40

>> 4 hr update >> 15:10 >> 66% / 142m.. estimate to charge > 20:15.

Seems to be a straight line .. every hour is about 3-4% without 4-6 miles being added.. the local temp is about 8-10 degrees..

I switched off Charging after 4 hours.. 4 hrs of 3 pin home charging gave me about 10% and 22 miles of charge. I will charge it overnight. The car app does not tell me how many KwH it consumed.. my supplier is currently on 30p KwH flat rate.

No real need to test just do the maths

The 3 pin charger should tell you the rate of charge somewhere on it e.g mine is a 2.2kw charger, it is never going to be greater than 3kw because of the limits of the 13A circuit with some safety allowance.

So mine adds 2.2Kw per hour - 50kw battery so would take about 22 hours to do a full charge from flat, 13 hours from 20% charged to 80%

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just saw this video on the new Tesla 3.. making the minimal, more minimal.. this would do my head in. It’s like asking me to swap my shoes around.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No real need to test just do the maths

The 3 pin charger should tell you the rate of charge somewhere on it e.g mine is a 2.2kw charger, it is never going to be greater than 3kw because of the limits of the 13A circuit with some safety allowance.

So mine adds 2.2Kw per hour - 50kw battery so would take about 22 hours to do a full charge from flat, 13 hours from 20% charged to 80%

Car says it sucked 13kw during the 4 hour charge cycle. I did 2 of these (26 kW). So rough maths at 28p/ KWh give me about 8 quid to put about 8 hrs of charging - 56% - 80% and 120 to 160 miles range added .. so 8 quid for 40 miles

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Car says it sucked 13kw during the 4 hour charge cycle. I did 2 of these (26 kW). So rough maths at 28p/ KWh give me about 8 quid to put about 8 hrs of charging - 56% - 80% and 120 to 160 miles range added .. so 8 quid for 40 miles
£8 for 40 miles, wow, that's not very good.
I pay less than £5 for 40 miles and that takes me mere seconds at any of several fuel stations in my area.
Oh, and once filled, I don't have to bother about refilling for at least three weeks, or 500+ miles, whichever comes sooner.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Just saw this video on the new Tesla 3.. making the minimal, more minimal.. this would do my head in. It’s like asking me to swap my shoes around.

There are no indicator stalks, just buttons on the steering wheel. Journalists who have driven the car say it's fine when driving in a straight line but hard to find the buttons when the wheel is turned - so don't expect Tesla drivers to indicate when leaving an island!

This is nothing to do with it being an EV - most of the manufacturers seem to be removing controls to save money.

Volkswagen had such negative feedback from customers that they're going back to physical buttons for their next range of cars.