The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have say, I don't blame you with the long journeys and insufficient charging infrastructure, I probably wouldn't buy one either

This is where we are now. I've evaluated all the journeys we do as a family. I do roughly 12,000 miles a year mostly city driving. The other car does 3000 a year. Majority short distance but some long

Of those 15,000 miles a year we have gone a distance that would need a charge twice in a 3 year period

I mean our location helps. We can do a trip to say Legoland (never again) or Chessington and back on a single charge. Can even go to the seaside an back (125 mile round trip) comfortably

The trips where we are going further that would require a charge we stay over at the moment anyways so would just need a bump charge.

My 3 year (thus far) beta test of EV has concluded that I don't want to buy another ICE car (personal choice) I will buy another EV at the end of this lease (it won't be PSA group. Another finding) and when the kids are older I'll push to phase out the Alhambra for something like a leaf or a mg5 ..

I'd happily run 2 EVs once the natural life of the Alhambra is reaching it's end. It's what 7 years old now so could easily do 4 more years . Only just ticked over to 78000 miles (I got it on 66000 4 years ago in April)

AussieKB

Visit site
Out here they don't carry a spare tyre, so if you get a flat, it is a phone call and wait for help......
how long it that ????? plus the extension cord across the Nullabor has to be massive.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Out here they don't carry a spare tyre, so if you get a flat, it is a phone call and wait for help......
how long it that ????? plus the extension cord across the Nullabor has to be massive.

Over here the majority of cars don't have a spare wheel just a can of spray.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always buy my own.
manufacturers have it as an extra.
VW do anyway.

It seems a cost saver , statistics say less punctures so you are just carrying extra weight around for a what if and "if" the car gets a puncture a can could fix it so reduces the more .. (unless you get 2 which would need a call out regardless)

However it's a personal preference, some people prefer it so happy to pay the extra

My last 5 cars haven't had a spare wheel

Lad at work his car got a puncture and he did have a spare. Couldn't get the wheel off. Laughter from everyone .. the track staff went to help... Big lads.. couldn't get it off .. the RAC came out turns out was rusted on . He felt less of a wimp after that

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are thinking about an electric car. Small and secondhand. Currently run an old Fiesta and a C1.

What do we need to look at?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Leafs are good but more focus size . Renault Zoe been very popular, fiat 500 EV suppose to be good
Zoe is a nice car. We were about to buy one back in 2018 until we discovered you had to lease the battery for silly money (ie. 10p a mile before you've even paid to charge the thing). I believe more recent editions include battery without lease.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Zoe is a nice car. We were about to buy one back in 2018 until we discovered you had to lease the battery for silly money (ie. 10p a mile before you've even paid to charge the thing). I believe more recent editions include battery without lease.

Yes this is true the newer ones don't have a lease on the battery

The lease wasn't an awful idea because the idea was any issues and bamn new battery. Convinced people to take the plunge , however turns out batteries don't fail as much as the daily mail would have people believe so they did away with it

Cracking cars tho

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think he is, if you only count cars from the last few years. Not many now have the wheel included, but some have room for a space saver if you want one.

Okay, just cars from the last few years, but how many buyers would include one as an option?
Probably quite a few, I know I would.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The lease wasn't an awful idea because the idea was any issues and bamn new battery.
The idea may have been ok, but the cost was silly.
The lowest lease cost was £45 a month, limited to 4500 miles per year. So the Zoe cost more to run per mile than a similar petrol car (eg. Clio). Why would anybody choose that, except for ultra environmentalists?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay, just cars from the last few years, but how many buyers would include one as an option?
Probably quite a few, I know I would.

It's been going on for over a decade so it's hardly a new thing.

I mean my 2006 BMW had run flats which did away with the spare.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The idea may have been ok, but the cost was silly.
The lowest lease cost was £45 a month, limited to 4500 miles per year. So the Zoe cost more to run per mile than a similar petrol car (eg. Clio). Why would anybody choose that, except for ultra environmentalists?

They were very popular tho so people did pick it