The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do anything from 30 to 330 miles per day but I average around 45,000 a year, my leccy bill would literally be through the roof and besides it just isn’t practical for me right now.
You charge up overnight, drive to your site, they have no charger. You do your job, then have to find a charger, sit there for x amount of time when you could be on your way home. That's a big part of the current problem for me. Having to spend time unnecessarily sat there.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do anything from 30 to 330 miles per day but I average around 45,000 a year, my leccy bill would literally be through the roof and besides it just isn’t practical for me right now.

Cheap overnight tariffs for EVs and your fuel bill drops

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheap overnight tariffs for EVs and your fuel bill drops

And then who pays for the fuel? How would I split my energy bill to clearly show I used x amount of electricity to charge my car and then get my company to pay for it? It’s a massive grey area at the minute, couple of lads have plug in hybrids but they never charge the battery as the boss says they won’t pay for the electricity for the above reason.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And then who pays for the fuel? How would I split my energy bill to clearly show I used x amount of electricity to charge my car and then get my company to pay for it? It’s a massive grey area at the minute, couple of lads have plug in hybrids but they never charge the battery as the boss says they won’t pay for the electricity for the above reason.

You can easily show what has been put through the charger

In fact legally they have to now

I can tell you exactly how many kw goes through my podpoint compared to my house

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did some work today in a chaps house, he was a salesman at a car dealership for a major brand. He said he (and his fellow branch salespeople) actively advise people not to buy ev. The repair costs when out of warranty are large, and they also won't take an ev in px for something else.
You may or may not like what he said, I am just repeating what he said.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
This could be a game changer -

So the hope is for a battery that has a range of 750 miles which can charge in 10 minutes.
Let's be generous and say you get 4 miles per kWh. (Most EVs get less).
A range of 750 miles will require 187kWh, and to charge that in 10 mins will require a charging rate of over 1 Megawatt.
I am skeptical that significant numbers of 1MW chargers can be deployed in anything like the numbers needed to make this feasible for mass adoption.
And you can bet your life that 1MW chargers will charge a premium rate for the electricity. "You want your kilowatt hours fast? Certainly sir, that'll be £2/kWh".

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the hope is for a battery that has a range of 750 miles which can charge in 10 minutes.
Let's be generous and say you get 4 miles per kWh. (Most EVs get less).
A range of 750 miles will require 187kWh, and to charge that in 10 mins will require a charging rate of over 1 Megawatt.
I am skeptical that significant numbers of 1MW chargers can be deployed in anything like the numbers needed to make this feasible for mass adoption.
And you can bet your life that 1MW chargers will charge a premium rate for the electricity. "You want your kilowatt hours fast? Certainly sir, that'll be £2/kWh".
The point of advanced batteries is less storage goes further. Not needing bigger storage

Your 4mpkw would become 10 mpkw for example

Tech will take time but it will get there in end

Needs less fannying about from the powers that be

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The point of advanced batteries is less storage goes further. Not needing bigger storage

Your 4mpkw would become 10 mpkw for example

Tech will take time but it will get there in end

Needs less fannying about from the powers that be
I will grant that lighter batteries mean EVs will get better mileage. But 10 miles/kWh? That's fantasy. Electric motors are already very efficient. There's not that much scope for really huge improvements.