The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Had one of the Honda electric cars as a courtesy car yesterday, can't say I was blown away by the experience partly due to it being an automatic.
nearly passed out when they told.me.what it costs .when I took it back.
I won't be going electric until I am made to do so.

Other electric cars are available :whistle:;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had one of the Honda electric cars as a courtesy car yesterday, can't say I was blown away by the experience partly due to it being an automatic.
nearly passed out when they told.me.what it costs .when I took it back.
I won't be going electric until I am made to do so.

All electric, hybrids are automatic. Afraid it's the future

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Automatics now are so smooth and the driving, particularly in slow traffic is effortless, I wouldn't have a manual transmission car by choice in any car, unless it was something that was going to be solely used as a track day car.

Love mine

But I drive on the north circular every day

Manual is a pain with that traffic

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The ZF8 gearbox in my car is a thing of beauty. I never want to change gear manually ever again.

Totally agree, my ZF8 is mated to Ward's best engine 3 of the last 4 years, BMW's B58 and the combination is absolutely brilliant.

I can only imagine people that diss autoboxes are the ones that think of them as the old, slow and clunky mechanisms. The speed of shift in modern autos is way faster than a person could do (short of having a short-shift box and stick) and with the addition of paddles, you can still maintain a degree of control for "fun times" driving.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't do that much mileage, so when I get in my car I want to drive it.

My brothers weekend fun car is an Aston, automatic with paddle shift, pretty sure he enjoys "driving it" lol

This was fun too, it does have clutch, only used for driving away from standstill and stopping, the rest of the time it is paddle shift with quickshifter and autoblipper.

b8c2138d-422e-469b-a1a9-39e320d1961b.JPG

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Totally agree, my ZF8 is mated to Ward's best engine 3 of the last 4 years, BMW's B58 and the combination is absolutely brilliant.

I can only imagine people that diss autoboxes are the ones that think of them as the old, slow and clunky mechanisms. The speed of shift in modern autos is way faster than a person could do (short of having a short-shift box and stick) and with the addition of paddles, you can still maintain a degree of control for "fun times" driving.

I've the N57 engine in my car, which suits the gearbox perfectly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My brothers weekend fun car is an Aston, automatic with paddle shift, pretty sure he enjoys "driving it" lol

This was fun too, it does have clutch, only used for driving away from standstill and stopping, the rest of the time it is paddle shift with quickshifter and autoblipper.

View attachment 37690

The trouble is, where do you put the kids and the shopping?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The national grid largely follows the motorway network so it would be a piece of piss to get enough power for fast charging at motorway services.
OK, but huge swathes of the country are nowhere near a motorway.

Charging points, the time it takes to charge, the environmental damage that the mining of lithium and the vast demand for electric from all these cars will I fear see the demise of the EV in quick order. They're a fake solution to petrol & diesel.