The all things EV chat thread

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Their not recalling / notifying you can call and ask but best to wait until next service

It's better prediction as goes down in 1 mile increment rather than 10

The charging on DC is apparently very good as changes the programming

Oh and how can I forget regen brakes become available from 100% not 95

My increments don’t go down in 10 but regen from a 100% sounds a dream. It catches me out as I use B mode instead of the pedal! ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it also brings unlocking from just having the key in your pocket without pressing aswell proximity locking

I have that anyway and it makes a noise that I’m sure irates the neighbours the strange times I work, but my missus corsa could do with that as it doesn’t have it.

karenburton1305

Visit site
Well I know the UK government are looking to have all cars electrical in the near future - bold move but it'd be great economically! Feels like it makes sense if youre buying a new car to go with electric since it seems to the be the way the world is going!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a trip to southampton coming up

Wife's said take the Alhambra which is tempting. Lots of room , more comfortable for me

But I love a challenge .. 120 miles each way .. 200 mile range so need one stop

Winchester south I normally stop for lunch so we tee off about 2 lunch half 12 at the services

Anyways they have just been upgraded so lots of bays

Top the car up to 80% whilst I have lunch (20-80% would take 20 mins, I'll be on 40 Ish so will be well done after lunch)

Won't need to stop on way back

Very tempted.. would cost me under £10 for the trip!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last time we put fuel in the car was January just after the Corsa arrived

Been driving just at weekends with the family then last week had 5 days of going out in it

Couple of long runs in between to keep it going

Finally filled it up

Jezz fuels gone up. Haven't been looking just been pluggin in and going to and from work

To think we were using 2 tanks a month before

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
These 24 charging points aren't in America or China or even in Norway.......
M6 Junction 1 (Rugby)

''Motorway service station operator Moto has announced plans to install ultra-rapid EV chargers at all its UK sites.

The first stage of the initiative is an installation of 12 Tesla and 12 Electric Highway 350kW DC chargers at the newly-opened Rugby Services, said to be the largest ultra-rapid charging site on the motorway.

The chargers have the capability to add up to 100 miles of range in less than five minutes and will accept contactless payment.''

42417284-9530245-The_remaining_12_devices_are_supplied_by_Electric_Highway_in_par-a-17_1619796...jpg

Every little helps :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some great progress in the world off battery charging is happening, potentially bringing down charging times to minutes.
Charging time is the only thing really stopping everyone from going all electric.

That and cost. The next car I'm looking at is a Skoda.. when I spec it right it's 45k.. which is silly cash but I'm hoping by then it drops a bit with the price of batteries dropping

Then again it's a very nice car

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes definitely, but that will change to over the next few years as production scales up.

Yeah Skoda themselves have said they will produce 3 cheaper ones by 2025 think it was

Very nice, wouldn't suit the family unfortunately

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Some great progress in the world off battery charging is happening, potentially bringing down charging times to minutes.
I remain skeptical. What does it take to fully charge an EV - about 50kWh, yes?
Now let's suppose a utopian future where everyone has an EV, and 10 of them arrive at a "filling station" expecting to get charged in 5 mins.
That's 500 kWh to be delivered in 5 mins, which means the recharging station has to be able to deliver leccy at 6 MW.
That's about the same consumption as 250 houses running at full pelt.
Ain't gonna happen.
Charging time is the only thing really stopping everyone from going all electric.
For me, charging time is not the issue. We'd like a small runaround to get to the golf club & Tesco. No problem plugging it in at home overnight.
The thing that stops us getting one is the cost of buying the car. They are simply too expensive and make no economic sense for low mileage drivers.
(Looking with interest at whether the Dacia Spring comes to the UK).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remain skeptical. What does it take to fully charge an EV - about 50kWh, yes?
Now let's suppose a utopian future where everyone has an EV, and 10 of them arrive at a "filling station" expecting to get charged in 5 mins.
That's 500 kWh to be delivered in 5 mins, which means the recharging station has to be able to deliver leccy at 6 MW.
That's about the same consumption as 250 houses running at full pelt.
Ain't gonna happen.

For me, charging time is not the issue. We'd like a small runaround to get to the golf club & Tesco. No problem plugging it in at home overnight.
The thing that stops us getting one is the cost of buying the car. They are simply too expensive and make no economic sense for low mileage drivers.
(Looking with interest at whether the Dacia Spring comes to the UK).

Interesting to see why you think 250 house supply couldn't happen? I mean the tube uses enough electric to run 360,000 houses (a year) why would 250 be a problem?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That, and anyone wanting to tow anything. Stick a caravan or even a box trailer on the back of an electric car and the range plummets.