The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Look I generally agree but this logic keeps coming up and is really conflicted. From one statement to the next you've gone from recycle to build new. We can't build new to break free of a zero sum problem. It's easy to write down but is impossible to achieve. It's the very act of "building new" from what we dig out of the ground that is the problem in its entirety.

I really like cars and stuff too. But it's human behaviour that's the problem. Until something extremely radical is done to break our addiction we may as well just do whatever we want and enjoy what we've got.

On the first bit we need housing, new or old that's just unfortunate due to years of underinvestment which helped fuel the housing market which our entire economy seems to be based on.

On the second point, we really need that compromise and help from those above in breaking the cycle..all those good ideas you posted will all for the same reason, people don't like change, especially when it puts them out of pocket

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Problem is, its never going to be an either/or situation.

Fossil fuel extraction will still continue, at least, in the form of oil.

EVs still need lubricants. They still need tyres and they will, judging by the demand for cheap over anything else, still need plastic, and lots of it.
And of course plastic is needed for much more than just transport. We need to eliminate single use plastic, but apart from that the world is full of appliances dependent on all manner of plastics.

It must be at least 40 years ago that I heard a statement from someone in the petrochemical industry who said "oil is far too valuable to burn".

And as long as it's not burned so that CO2 levels rise, what's the problem with continuing to extract oil for the production of all these other essentials?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bucking the trend a bit but the Mrs has given the green light to look at selling the Alhambra

To be replaced by a second hand EV

Two conditions, not when I'm on nights and we have to all be able to fit IE no little 4 seater ones

I can live with that

Be interesting to see what I can find within budget and then living with 2 EVs

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bucking the trend a bit but the Mrs has given the green light to look at selling the Alhambra

To be replaced by a second hand EV

Two conditions, not when I'm on nights and we have to all be able to fit IE no little 4 seater ones

I can live with that

Be interesting to see what I can find within budget and then living with 2 EVs

Bearing in mind when the cheapest time to charge is, do you see any issues with having to charge two cars, or will you get a second charging point?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bearing in mind when the cheapest time to charge is, do you see any issues with having to charge two cars, or will you get a second charging point?

None at all tbh, my life is based on 50 mile round trips and the Alhambra does 2500 miles a year

So the Kia stays at 80% charge , have charged at home once since getting it however even if needed I can charge

But for example found a Kona 64kw £15k second hand, if I got that and left it at 80% (with like 200 miles to 80% aswell) it could go weeks without needing a top up

Worst case charge every other night

Or I do have a 3 pin socket outside and a 3 pin charger so there is scope to charge both together

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@Hobbit been looking more in-depth into a switch

£20 admin fee with insurance, Kona would be £45 more , a leaf £65 more (both including the £20 fee)

A colleague of mine has expressed an interest in the Alhambra, so I've given him a price which he is happy to pay just a wait and see what happens.

Got a few konas on auto trader and I've always liked the leaf .. got another Hyundai on the list aswell. Oh and a golf electric

Ironically no kias in the budget I've set myself, their warranty is so good the used price value holds more compared.

All depends on the Alhambra actually being sold, but my colleague even with it's sealed sunroof due to an old leak is interested in the car at the agreed price.

Didn't take the wife long to green light the idea. She hates the Alhambra it's ugly in her opinion 😂 which it is but it's basically a van

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a word of caution when owning an EV.....
You still have to tax your EV.
Go online and choose if you want to tax your EV for the expensive rate for 6 months which will cost you £0 or the cheaper rate for 12 months which is £0.
But it still must be done.
I wonder what they would do if you didn't complete the formality...fine you for not paying a tax of £0 🤷‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go online and choose if you want to tax your EV for the expensive rate for 6 months which will cost you £0 or the cheaper rate for 12 months which is £0.
I wonder what they would do if you didn't complete the formality...fine you for not paying a tax of £0 🤷‍♂️

Bit of a moot point from April 25 we will be paying £159 or whatever they said it was

I think because my car tax is due January I have to renew January so I'll get until the tax expires in January 26 before I pay 😂

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
@Hobbit been looking more in-depth into a switch

£20 admin fee with insurance, Kona would be £45 more , a leaf £65 more (both including the £20 fee)

A colleague of mine has expressed an interest in the Alhambra, so I've given him a price which he is happy to pay just a wait and see what happens.

Got a few konas on auto trader and I've always liked the leaf .. got another Hyundai on the list aswell. Oh and a golf electric

Ironically no kias in the budget I've set myself, their warranty is so good the used price value holds more compared.

All depends on the Alhambra actually being sold, but my colleague even with it's sealed sunroof due to an old leak is interested in the car at the agreed price.

Didn't take the wife long to green light the idea. She hates the Alhambra it's ugly in her opinion 😂 which it is but it's basically a van

A friend has the Golf EV. Cracking car.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend has the Golf EV. Cracking car.

Very tempted by it tbh, I don't need the range of the newer id3 for that car, and obviously being a golf they are built well

I'm looking at these examples of car

Very reasonable price imo for the cars

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Very tempted by it tbh, I don't need the range of the newer id3 for that car, and obviously being a golf they are built well

I'm looking at these examples of car

Very reasonable price imo for the cars

The Leaf for me, then the Golf. Not fussed by the Kona.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Leaf for me, then the Golf. Not fussed by the Kona.

I do like the Kona , hyunadi are great cars but the leaf is leading for me.. it's the OG of electric cars .. nissan know there stuff

And it doesn't have a normal car version so it's a purpose built EV

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How are they finding the touchscreen central console? It gets a lot of stick online, there are no buttons anywhere!

I think your thinking of the id3 which is a golf shape and just has that the original golf electric,which now isn't made, is just the same as a golf . Buttons and all

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think your thinking of the id3 which is a golf shape and just has that the original golf electric,which now isn't made, is just the same as a golf . Buttons and all
I was thinking of the Mk8 Golf, not the ID3. I think that is the car Hobbit was talking about. The hybrid has the same interior as the ICE version, I've just seen a youtube review which showed it in action. The next Golf will have buttons again apparently, they listened 😄

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was thinking of the Mk8 Golf, not the ID3. I think that is the car Hobbit was talking about. The hybrid has the same interior as the ICE version, I've just seen a youtube review which showed it in action. The next Golf will have buttons again apparently, they listened 😄

The one I posted above , I believe is the last electric golf model made and has push buttons

It stopped being made in 2020 I believe with the id3 replacing it

The golf itself (hybrid etc) continue

But I don't believe the mk8 is available as electric only

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@Hobbit , it's my lucky day lol my colleague has a leaf so just got him to let me size up the cabin and boot

Then I noticed a Kona in the car park .. security managers car.. he appears I'm like would you mind showing me aha

Leaf wins hands down for practically but the Kona is more quirky

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Seize the car for being untaxed?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am liking the look of new Polestar 4, £90k by the time I’d got near the spec I’d want though.

Give it 2 years that will be 50k second hand lol get yourself a bargain

Heard a rumour Volvo are stopping funding polestar