The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sit somewhat in the middle of this debate.
Neither of my cars are exotic but one of them is certainly exciting. The thinking that excitement comes solely from acceleration is a bit odd, but each to their own I guess.

I have a heavily modified car that I am lucky enough to take to the track often (it is road legal) and its a hugely exciting drive.

My mate has a Model S and in insane mode he strips even the M340 pushing 530WHP off the line but its not long term sustainable (I usually catch him by bend 2) and, in my opinion the car is a bit sterile, in terms of driving experience and the cabin itself. But thats personal.

He drove the 340 and was visibly shaking with adrenalin afterwards.

This is not just EVs but even some ICE cars are being engineered to the point where systems are so precise that the handle so well they become boring.

I like being able to switch off the traction and let the car get a bit jittery. But the Tesla just doesn’t do it.

I am trading my daily daily driver in for an EV, its currently a big comfortable cruiser but still has 400BHP at my foot if needed.

But I see EVs as an inevitability, not by the common users hand, but by those making decisions believing that it is the “cleanest” way ahead, regardless of whether that is true or not is largely irrelevant, its what is believed until such time as a new tech comes along to displace it. And then the EV vs “A N New Technology” will be just like this.

And on that inevitability I’d rather get on board reasonably early to adapt to the required changes. But I will continue to prefer the excitement of current tech until new stuff comes along that, at least, matches it.

But what’s excitement to one man is either sterility or too extreme to others.

I agree with so much of this. Infact there isn't much to disagree with!!

I agree some EVs they are going so minimalist, one key for me was the niro had physical buttons

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But what’s excitement to one man is either sterility or too extreme to others.
Exactly my point.
If someone wants to spend £140,000 on a 30 year old Ferrari just for the rumble and the noise, fine, crack on. If someone likes the look but wants the improved performance and handling of an electric Ferrari then he should be allowed to do so without the insults.
I'll spare you the electric E-type video :whistle:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly my point.
If someone wants to spend £140,000 on a 30 year old Ferrari just for the rumble and the noise, fine, crack on. If someone likes the look but wants the improved performance and handling of an electric Ferrari then he should be allowed to do so without the insults.

I see a Ferrari go past and I'm like god I'd never get out of that I'd be stuck lol too low

For me I like fitting in my golf clubs with the driver in the bag and not dropping a seat!

Also incredibly comfortable. Defo not style

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Exactly my point.
I think this is where it gets a bit runny. Classic cars are often beloved not in spite of quirks like wieldy handling but because of it. Giving a chassis like a Testarossa better handling doesn’t improve it in my mind. It robs it of some of its natural charm.

The sound of a car is hugely important to many as part of the experience. My mate (after driving or other mate’s Tesla) commented “its like watching Platoon with the sound off”.

I love the sound of my inline 6 chuntering with the whine of the big turbo over it, and the popping and cracking from the Milltek exhaust. It gives my driving experience a sound track.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I think this is where it gets a bit runny. Classic cars are often beloved not in spite of quirks like wieldy handling but because of it. Giving a chassis like a Testarossa better handling doesn’t improve it in my mind. It robs it of some of its natural charm.

The sound of a car is hugely important to many as part of the experience. My mate (after driving or other mate’s Tesla) commented “its like watching Platoon with the sound off”.

I love the sound of my inline 6 chuntering with the whine of the big turbo over it, and the popping and cracking from the Milltek exhaust. It gives my driving experience a sound track.

I miss the noise of the high revving straight 6 from my E46 M3. Especially with the carbon induction box.

My 540i is a bit quiet. Once the warranty period is over I will be addressing that.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In answer to original question.....

If it looks anything the Lotus Electric SUV that pulled into the club car park as we were leaving today....in bright, eye- melting yellow..
Damn...No.No....just no, never, ever..Jesus H Christ my eyes are swollen......
I know I may be banned, but I do fancy an orange Lotus

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I get the old school ‘v’ new school argument. Been there with motorbikes but after flip-flopping between the two I decided I wanted both. The Honda VFR800 with the V-Tec technology was Bentley smooth but too sterile. Great for long journeys. But the Triumph Street Triple was a proper hooligan’s bike through the twisties. I could load the VFR up for a tour, or I could take the Triumph up through the Yorkshire Dales.

In some respects, isn’t that part of the argument between ICE and EV. Get what you want because you want it. How it does it, with whatever performance characteristics it has, is almost irrelevant as you just want that car and will live with any perceived limitations.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah. I get it now. When one decides to commit to EV, whatever you do don't trade in you ICE - you might need it for that occasional journey. ;)

Home to Birmingham is about 200 odd mile. We were doing Friday and Sat. My EV range at 100% is about 210 miles. There is no chance of me go and come back on Friday, quickly charge back to 100% and leave at 6am on Saturday.

My ice runaround costs half the EV and can do the double journey without breaking a sweat.

Ofcourse we can use public charging during the day in B’ham but who has the time. BTW the advertised 210 miles is with 100% charge. Ironically the manufacturer recommends we only charge to 80%. If I did that, I would be stranded somewhere outside Oxford

We took the middle path and booked a premier inn in Birmingham.. cheaper than going up and down the motorway

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I miss the noise of the high revving straight 6 from my E46 M3. Especially with the carbon induction box.

My 540i is a bit quiet. Once the warranty period is over I will be addressing that.
Your 540 has the same engine as my 840. The B58 (assuming its a reasonably new model).
The M340 has the same B58 but with a more aggressive factory tune.

If I was keeping the 840, first thing I’d improve is the sound with a Milltek or Remus system.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Home to Birmingham is about 200 odd mile. We were doing Friday and Sat. My EV range at 100% is about 210 miles. There is no chance of me go and come back on Friday, quickly charge back to 100% and leave at 6am on Saturday.

My ice runaround costs half the EV and can do the double journey without breaking a sweat.

Ofcourse we can use public charging during the day in B’ham but who has the time. BTW the advertised 210 miles is with 100% charge. Ironically the manufacturer recommends we only charge to 80%. If I did that, I would be stranded somewhere outside Oxford

We took the middle path and booked a premier inn in Birmingham.. cheaper than going up and down the motorway
Isn't this the nub of many points though. The 100% range is as you say 210 for your heavy weight tank. Yet, the book of words says to only charge to 80%, a mantra that has oft been said on here already. (which BTW is 168)
So the manufacturers stating a 100% range are telling fibs, if you can/should only charge to 80%

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The 80% rule is mainly for DC rapid charging
Ac home charging 100% is fine

Not only is it better for battery with rapid it also gets you on road quicker because that last 20% it really slows down the speed

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your 540 has the same engine as my 840. The B58 (assuming its a reasonably new model).

If I was keeping the 840, first thing I’d improve is the sound with a Milltek or Remus system.
May I say, the only BMW that gets me going is the M635CSI.:)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

That’s the one. It’s quickish, but doesn’t quite have the urge that the 35d had. It revs but doesn’t have the instant torque.

The gearbox is mapped a bit differently too. It’s not quite as aggressive in the 5 as it is the 3 so I’m told. Understandable given the different type of car.

I plan on getting them both mapped once out of warranty. Maybe treat it to new down pipes and exhaust.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s the one. It’s quickish, but doesn’t quite have the urge that the 35d had. It revs but doesn’t have the instant torque.

The gearbox is mapped a bit differently too. It’s not quite as aggressive in the 5 as it is the 3 so I’m told. Understandable given the different type of car.

I plan on getting them both mapped once out of warranty. Maybe treat it to new down pipes and exhaust.
Its described as one of the beat engines BMW have made. A very capable engine. I have a JB4 tuning box on the 8. Makea a big difference as it maps the pedal as well. Massive reduction in lag.

But crucially it doesn’t fix the sound. You can sort the exhaust anytime and not harm your warranty.

If you want to go all out, Pure800 Turbo upgrade and stage 2 map will make it an entertaining drive 😁.