The all things EV chat thread

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How much would hydrogen cost at the pumps and what woud be the equivalent mpg be compared to an ICE car or an EV?
How much is the cost to charge your car when more have EV's and the tax free incentives are removed and the farm fields that are being turned over to solar farms, because obviosuly we don't need food and can buy it cheaper from the continent?
The answer is you don't know, and nor does anyone else. You're just assuming electirc is going to remain as cheap as it currently is, which as you well know is highly unlikely.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If I had that sort of budget I'd buy a 911 turbo S that does 0-60 in 2.5 secs. My current car will do it in sub 4.5 secs anyway so I can live with that ?

Would you get the wife, the kids and a weeks shopping in a Porsche 911 turbo S
And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 911 turbo STARTS at £134,400 and 340 miles on a full tank (£80)
The Tesla model 3 performance is £56,490 and has a range of 352 miles.

D

Deleted member 18588

I doubt you would drive back for a passport and still make the plane which was the example given

So moot point
No.

The point is that you seem to be making the assumption that we all live in urban/suburban environments.

Many of us don't and, therefore, find the "advantages " of EV's rather limited.

Now if the move is made to hydrogen cells as motive power the story may be different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No.

The point is that you seem to be making the assumption that we all live in urban/suburban environments.

Many of us don't and, therefore, find the "advantages " of EV's rather limited.

Now if the move is made to hydrogen cells as motive power the story may be different.

Yet everyone in the country could move to plug in hybrids in 2034 .. they will be around years and can be run without charging them at all if people can't charge them

So there is a solution for everyone until hydrogen is ready

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just realised, the more people that drive ICE cars, the more money the govt get in fuel/road tax the longer EV drivers get free road tax/incentives.
I'll shut up now. :)

D

Deleted member 18588

I've just realised, the more people that drive ICE cars, the more money the govt get in fuel/road tax the longer EV drivers get free road tax/incentives.
I'll shut up now. :)

If you truly believe that then you will believe anything ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think the bottom line is EVs work well if you live in a built up area or only do short journeys. At the moment ICE is better for everything else.
Ironically, an EV would suit my needs perfectly now I'm not commuting anymore but I love the driving experience of my current car so it's a no from me.

But only if you live in the part of the built up area that means you've got guaranteed access to a charger; so not on the 15th floor of a high rise or if you have to park on street. And not unless you are prepared to pay considerably more to start with for the EV over the equivalent ICE vehicle, and that assumes that there is an equivalent EV.

If and when the infrastructure gets here (and in terms of charging in a number of areas I can never see that being achieved), if and when they are more environmentally friendly cradle to grave, if and when they have the same capabilities as an ICE vehicle in terms of range & refilling, and if and when there is no significant price penalty for purchasing an EV then and only then will the majority start considering them. But given the costs of the infrastructure & the costs of the current pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised to see the date change when Rishi Sunak does his sums and sees how much it's going to cost.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I had that sort of budget I'd buy a 911 turbo S that does 0-60 in 2.5 secs. My current car will do it in sub 4.5 secs anyway so I can live with that ?

Another advantage is that the 911 turbo that one of my golf partners has, also does the preconditioning thing from an app, and he can go out to a warm car in the morning.

Well, he could, but it is so noisy that the neighbours have asked him not to use it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If someone gave you a telsa though bet you would love the driving experience of that! 0-60 in 3 seconds

The Corsa even does 0-30 in 3 seconds

You do realise that a fun car to drive isn't just about how fast it can get to 60? (Or 30 in your case). It's about the whole experience. Speed is only a small part of it.
A Tesla is a barge, model X, S, or 3, and corners like one. It also has no gear box to shift, no engine or exhaust note, and certainly no character.
One of the reasons why Ferrari have said they will never do a full EV. They all drive the same, and you can't add the Ferrari character to one.

Plug in hybrids are rubbish too. They do worse mpg than a standard diesel, and you are lugging pointless batteries around, accelerating brake and tyre wear.

Just my view, other views are available.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You do realise that a fun car to drive isn't just about how fast it can get to 60? (Or 30 in your case). It's about the whole experience. Speed is only a small part of it.
A Tesla is a barge, model X, S, or 3, and corners like one. It also has no gear box to shift, no engine or exhaust note, and certainly no character.
One of the reasons why Ferrari have said they will never do a full EV. They all drive the same, and you can't add the Ferrari character to one.

Plug in hybrids are rubbish too. They do worse mpg than a standard diesel, and you are lugging pointless batteries around, accelerating brake and tyre wear.

Just my view, other views are available.

Whilst your diesel point is valid the point is they are being banned for sale from new so we have to find something different

Even plug in is being banned

Don't get me wrong I love driving diesels

D

Deleted Member 1156

But only if you live in the part of the built up area that means you've got guaranteed access to a charger; so not on the 15th floor of a high rise or if you have to park on street. And not unless you are prepared to pay considerably more to start with for the EV over the equivalent ICE vehicle, and that assumes that there is an equivalent EV.

If and when the infrastructure gets here (and in terms of charging in a number of areas I can never see that being achieved), if and when they are more environmentally friendly cradle to grave, if and when they have the same capabilities as an ICE vehicle in terms of range & refilling, and if and when there is no significant price penalty for purchasing an EV then and only then will the majority start considering them. But given the costs of the infrastructure & the costs of the current pandemic, I wouldn't be surprised to see the date change when Rishi Sunak does his sums and sees how much it's going to cost.
I've got a driveway, sod the rest of you ??

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the bottom line is EVs work well if you live in a built up area or only do short journeys. At the moment ICE is better for everything else.
Ironically, an EV would suit my needs perfectly now I'm not commuting anymore but I love the driving experience of my current car so it's a no from me.

You’d be surprised the amount of chargers and where they are! They are everywhere you just have to look!
A screenshot of the most desolate places in Britain. Orange markers are rapids.
It’d be hard to run out of power unless someone’s a complete numpty.

575E7757-8566-4388-BA0C-E37E0CF06202.jpg53245660-F94E-4AEC-8BAF-26C27376902E.jpg

D

Deleted Member 1156

Would you get the wife, the kids and a weeks shopping in a Porsche 911 turbo S
And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 911 turbo STARTS at £134,400 and 340 miles on a full tank (£80)
The Tesla model 3 performance is £56,490 and has a range of 352 miles.
I don't have to worry about fitting in kids and I accept your point about having the same range. The Porsche can refuel in 5 mins though and is never far away from a working petrol station.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't have to worry about fitting in kids and I accept your point about having the same range. The Porsche can refuel in 5 mins though and is never far away from a working petrol station.

For now

What will be interesting is how many petrol stations will be open in the future ... Less demand and all that

I know a lot of independent petrol stations closed during lockdown first time round

D

Deleted Member 1156

For now

What will be interesting is how many petrol stations will be open in the future ... Less demand and all that

I know a lot of independent petrol stations closed during lockdown first time round
I get what you are saying but I'm not planning my drives 10 years in advance.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get what you are saying but I'm not planning my drives 10 years in advance.

It's just what works for people.

I've got 2 cars in our house one is the family car which is diesel but for work makes so much sense to go electric ..

Good lease price , check
Cheap to run (for now) check
No congestion charge if it gets pushed out to north circular , check

4 year lease .. don't want to commit to buy incase it turns out electric fails or they bring out the super batteries

Second car households where one is a little run around if people can do it should do it makes so much sense

Costing me what £275 a month for 4 years plus £850 down .. I'll save about 5k in fuel

Will do for now

Would love a telsa but the cost just put me off .. £500 per month minimum

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Ok a couple of friends plus clubs and trolleys plus luggage, not to mention a saving of £78,000 and you can charge it on your drive

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ok a couple of friends plus clubs and trolleys plus luggage, not to mention a saving of £78,000 and you can charge it on your drive
The bit about the 0-60 times came when someone quoted 3secs. To get that you need the top of the range model S or X which are around £100k.