The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sorry, but in my opinion that is all pretty much wrong or old news.
But the good news is you can continue driving your ICE car for another 15-20 years.
My guess is you wont.

So many myths about electric cars but it's the same with everything once somebody hears something they don't like that's it they won't change their opinion

That's not exclusive to electric cars that's with most things in life

If somebody isn't willing to change they will find every excuse not to and if they don't like the new tech they will find any excuse why it's rubbish even if it's wrong

I'll be happy when I get in my car on a cold winters morning at 5am and the windscreen is already clear and the car is about 22 degrees as it has had a precondition rather than waiting 5 mins for it to warm up and be safe to drive .. unless you have s ford ofc who have the amazing quick clear windscreen

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
So many myths about electric cars but it's the same with everything once somebody hears something they don't like that's it they won't change their opinion

If somebody isn't willing to change they will find every excuse not to and if they don't like the new tech they will find any excuse why it's rubbish even if it's wrong

I'll be happy when I get in my car on a cold winters morning at 5am and the windscreen is already clear and the car is about 22 degrees as it has had a precondition rather than waiting 5 mins for it to warm up and be safe to drive .. unless you have s ford ofc who have the amazing quick clear windscreen

Yes very nice, but at what cost to your range?
Asking coz I don’t know , not having a pop ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm sure someone will be along In a min to poo poo the crazy idea of stopping for a coffee and how if you had a ICE you could keep an emergency supply of fuel in a Jerry can in the boot for such situations.
Not an issue as such but having to do it 20 miles from home???

D

Deleted member 18588

However in the airport example how many people drive to the airport?

Shuttle buses
Trains
Taxis
Friends dropping them off

Driving to the airport is a luxury

In all of those situations above like the waters breaking how far is your hospital? Mines 3 miles . Drs is a walk accross the street

Car would be plugged in fully charged ready to go

Even if I had just got home from work would have enough to get there and back 10 times

What about those of us who live in more rural settings?

No trains, few buses, limited taxi availability etc;

Fortunately I am of an age where the ICE will see me out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about those of us who live in more rural settings?

No trains, few buses, limited taxi availability etc;

Fortunately I am of an age where the ICE will see me out.

I doubt you would drive back for a passport and still make the plane which was the example given

So moot point

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
However in the airport example how many people drive to the airport?

Shuttle buses
Trains
Taxis
Friends dropping them off

Driving to the airport is a luxury

In all of those situations above like the waters breaking how far is your hospital? Mines 3 miles . Drs is a walk accross the street

Car would be plugged in fully charged ready to go

Even if I had just got home from work would have enough to get there and back 10 times

So you have to own a car, but plan carefully to not use it all the time, or only at the perfect times? What next, you buy a dog, but bark yourself?

What you are failing to see here is that not everyone's use case is the same as yours. For example my nearest hospital is just over 15 miles away. I'm glad the electric car setup works for you, but until you can see that it's not a solution for everyone, and may not be the ultimate solution to environmentally friendly motoring, you just come across as very blinkered.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not about myths or finding excuses or dismissing things

It’s about affordability, practical , usage

Right now most can buy a car and they know exactly what it offers them , they know it will go a certain distance on a tank and that it takes 5 mins to refuel , it’s going to last them 20 years - it’s solid and reliable

Until an electric car can do the exact same thing for the same cost maybe cheaper and give them the same level of service that everyone wants ( not just a small percentage) without hassles then an electric car isn’t going to be to be for many people yet

right now it’s not cost affective , it’s not practical , it doesn’t give people the same confidence and ease of live that a bog standard petrol car gives people. And that’s not including the driving expirence that many enjoy

If your big selling point is getting into a warm car instead of waiting a couple mins then it’s not really the big selling point that’s going to make people forget about all the other negatives

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think the bottom line is EVs work well if you live in a built up area or only do short journeys. At the moment ICE is better for everything else.
Ironically, an EV would suit my needs perfectly now I'm not commuting anymore but I love the driving experience of my current car so it's a no from me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you have to own a car, but plan carefully to not use it all the time, or only at the perfect times? What next, you buy a dog, but bark yourself?

What you are failing to see here is that not everyone's use case is the same as yours. For example my nearest hospital is just over 15 miles away. I'm glad the electric car setup works for you, but until you can see that it's not a solution for everyone, and may not be the ultimate solution to environmentally friendly motoring, you just come across as very blinkered.

I've said from day one one it's not for everyone

What I was saying to James is how ice drivers just jump on any negative like his post about his first worry about range

Which has highlighted today .. everyone saying it's not ready blah blah with every excuse

It's not for everyone . 10 years is a long time and you can still own ice cars for ages ....

2045 there will still be ice cars on road. But more and more electric cars will be rolled out

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the bottom line is EVs work well if you live in a built up area or only do short journeys. At the moment ICE is better for everything else.
Ironically, an EV would suit my needs perfectly now I'm not commuting anymore but I love the driving experience of my current car so it's a no from me.

If someone gave you a telsa though bet you would love the driving experience of that! 0-60 in 3 seconds

The Corsa even does 0-30 in 3 seconds

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've said from day one one it's not for everyone

What I was saying to James is how ice drivers just jump on any negative like his post about his first worry about range

Which has highlighted today .. everyone saying it's not ready blah blah with every excuse

It's not for everyone . 10 years is a long time and you can still own ice cars for ages ....

2045 there will still be ice cars on road. But more and more electric cars will be rolled out

Range is less of a worry, than ease (what do those with no off street parking do?) and speed to top up range (sure you can get 75% or whatever in 30 mins, but thats still 25 mins longer than it takes to get 100% right now, so it is a step back however you want to frame it). That's the biggest problem to solve to get true mass adoption.

I've nothing against EV's really, I just think they get too much attention as a solution to being greener, compared to things like hydrogen, synthetic fuels, emission capturing technology and whatever else may be out there.

This is why banning ICE sales seems shortsighted to me as if they could be scaled up synthetic fuels would be the ultimate right now - you capture carbon making them, release it when burning them and recapture to make them again, making them carbon neutral and with the bonus of no requirements for change in user behaviour, infrastructure, scrapping loads of perfectly good vehicles etc... Combine this with emissions capture tech and the benefit is even greater.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Range is less of a worry, than ease (what do those with no off street parking do?) and speed to top up range (sure you can get 75% or whatever in 30 mins, but thats still 25 mins longer than it takes to get 100% right now, so it is a step back however you want to frame it). That's the biggest problem to solve to get true mass adoption.

I've nothing against EV's really, I just think they get too much attention as a solution to being greener, compared to things like hydrogen, synthetic fuels, emission capturing technology and whatever else may be out there.

This is why banning ICE sales seems shortsighted to me as if they could be scaled up synthetic fuels would be the ultimate right now - you capture carbon making them, release it when burning them and recapture to make them again, making them carbon neutral and with the bonus of no requirements for change in user behaviour, infrastructure, scrapping loads of perfectly good vehicles etc... Combine this with emissions capture tech and the benefit is even greater.

I think they get pushing because they have been solved as a solution if that makes sense? Like hydrogen is brilliant. Amazing however they can't get the storage right .. where as electric is like a complete tech so their pushing it

Barnet council did an interesting one every ev owner who didn't have a driveway they installed a charger on the lamppost in the road .. clever idea

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In 10 yrs time those in power will have realised EV isn't the answer, hyrdrogen fuel cells are which is why most manufacturers are holding back on EV because they know the awkward truth the evangelicals don't want to hear.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If someone gave you a telsa though bet you would love the driving experience of that! 0-60 in 3 seconds

The Corsa even does 0-30 in 3 seconds
If I had that sort of budget I'd buy a 911 turbo S that does 0-60 in 2.5 secs. My current car will do it in sub 4.5 secs anyway so I can live with that ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In 10 yrs time those in power will have realised EV isn't the answer, hyrdrogen fuel cells are which is why most manufacturers are holding back on EV because they know the awkward truth the evangelicals don't want to hear.

The future is both

Ev is great for town driving

Hydrogen great for other things once they crack it

Plug in hybrids are the bridge for now .. charge at home or shopping .. some do 40 miles on a charge which is great for school run mum's , some workers .. and for those who don't use it to get up to 150mpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

How much would hydrogen cost at the pumps and what woud be the equivalent mpg be compared to an ICE car or an EV?