The all things EV chat thread

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are doing 1000's of miles a month, don't buy an electric car.
If you can't charge at home or at work, don't buy an electric car.
If you don't want an electric car, don't buy an electric car.
Keep buying new ICE cars for another 9 years and drive them until they fall apart if you want to.

But bear in mind, in 5 years time, charging will only take 10 minutes or less and the range will be over 300 miles.
If you don't believe me, ask Toyota who know a thing or two.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/M...g-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m a bit confused at what you are trying to show as better or positive?

Both type of cars will need a fill up on a journey

My car takes 5 mins to fill to the top to give me another 300 mins

The electric car was their first 30 mins to give another 60 miles ?

So that would mean I could go for another 250-300 miles with no stops

The electric car would need to stop for around 2 hours to do the same further journey ?

So tell me why it’s being portrayed as a good thing ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m a bit confused at what you are trying to show as better or positive?

Both type of cars will need a fill up on a journey

My car takes 5 mins to fill to the top to give me another 300 mins

The electric car was their first 30 mins to give another 60 miles ?

So that would mean I could go for another 250-300 miles with no stops

The electric car would need to stop for around 2 hours to do the same further journey ?

So tell me why it’s being portrayed as a good thing ?

30 mins would give 120 miles at 60% of a 50kw battery.

But then James wouldn't need to top up again if charging at home overnight.

Like having your own slow action petrol pump at home.

D

Deleted member 15344

30 mins would give 120 miles at 60% of a 50kw battery.

But then James wouldn't need to top up again if charging at home overnight.

Like having your own slow action petrol pump at home.

5 mins gives me 300 miles without any need to top up over night

Until quicker charging arrives ( been promised for a while ) , then affordable electric cars will just mainly just used for commuting short journeys for many

And until they find better cheaper cleaner ways to produce the electricity en mass the environment isnt going to be hugely affected

People want cheaper and affective , doing the job with as little hassle as possible - right now at best a hybrid does that or petrol/diesel -

There is a long way to go before we see the general public switching to electric cars en mass - a lot of hurdles in the way , and it’s going to take more than ten years

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are doing 1000's of miles a month, don't buy an electric car.
If you can't charge at home or at work, don't buy an electric car.
If you don't want an electric car, don't buy an electric car.
Keep buying new ICE cars for another 9 years and drive them until they fall apart if you want to.

But bear in mind, in 5 years time, charging will only take 10 minutes or less and the range will be over 300 miles.
If you don't believe me, ask Toyota who know a thing or two.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/M...g-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

That would be amazing once that's up and running

300 miles in a 10 min charge .

Exactly why I'm leasing mine as I don't want to buy it to have it replaced by this not long after

Look forward to seeing it develop

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5 mins gives me 300 miles without any need to top up over night

Until quicker charging arrives ( been promised for a while ) , then affordable electric cars will just mainly just used for commuting short journeys for many

And until they find better cheaper cleaner ways to produce the electricity en mass the environment isnt going to be hugely affected

People want cheaper and affective , doing the job with as little hassle as possible - right now at best a hybrid does that or petrol/diesel -

There is a long way to go before we see the general public switching to electric cars en mass - a lot of hurdles in the way , and it’s going to take more than ten years

Plug in hybrids would suit every single household out there . Decent mpg and then when you can charge even better mpg.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
One of my neighbours now has an Audi etron. It's big, it's good looking, it's an Audi, so the indicators won't run down the battery.

It does about 240 miles on a full charge, and cost somewhere between 70k and 100k, if bought, or a small fortune to lease.

I am not seeing much saving going on tbh.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you plan to be somewhere and are 30 mins late because of a stop that's very bad planning you have allowed for nothing to go wrong ..

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail

Preparation is always best, but sometimes the unexpected happens, or things go wrong, for example your child gets ill and you manage to get an emergency doctors appointment, you need a trip to A&E, your Mrs waters break. Even a case such as going to the airport, allowing plenty of time, then realising you forgot the passports, you can't just nip back and get them still making the flight, because you have to wait 30 mins for a charge.

In a perfect textbook scenario you will be fine with an electric car, but when unexpected situations pop up, ICE is still the best option for now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Preparation is always best, but sometimes the unexpected happens, or things go wrong, for example your child gets ill and you manage to get an emergency doctors appointment, you need a trip to A&E, your Mrs waters break. Even a case such as going to the airport, allowing plenty of time, then realising you forgot the passports, you can't just nip back and get them still making the flight, because you have to wait 30 mins for a charge.

In a perfect textbook scenario you will be fine with an electric car, but when unexpected situations pop up, ICE is still the best option for now.

However in the airport example how many people drive to the airport?

Shuttle buses
Trains
Taxis
Friends dropping them off

Driving to the airport is a luxury

In all of those situations above like the waters breaking how far is your hospital? Mines 3 miles . Drs is a walk accross the street

Car would be plugged in fully charged ready to go

Even if I had just got home from work would have enough to get there and back 10 times

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
One of my neighbours now has an Audi etron. It's big, it's good looking, it's an Audi, so the indicators won't run down the battery.

It does about 240 miles on a full charge, and cost somewhere between 70k and 100k, if bought, or a small fortune to lease.

I am not seeing much saving going on tbh.

They’re 500 odd a month on salary sacrifice for three years at my place for the base model. Alloys look pants if it’s the standard one. Similar price to a Standard Tesla.
Quick, smart inside but the battery ought to be bigger for such a lump.
Mate returns about 140miles and swears he doesn’t thrash it. He did try to return it. Has charging ports both sides though which is handy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
However in the airport example how many people drive to the airport?

Shuttle buses
Trains
Taxis
Friends dropping them off

Driving to the airport is a luxury

In all of those situations above like the waters breaking how far is your hospital? Mines 3 miles . Drs is a walk accross the street

Car would be plugged in fully charged ready to go

Even if I had just got home from work would have enough to get there and back 10 times

WHAT IF IT ISN'T!
This is the point you're continually deflecting away from.
The reason the range isn't enough doesn't matter. "Why" isn't the point.
You have to be somewhere in an hour and you have to drive there.
You set off and, for whatever reason, you don't have enough juice to get there.
You have to stop for half an hour to recharge enough to get you there.
And you're going to be late.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
To be the owner of an electric car, then you must observe the 7 P’s

Perfect Preparation & Planning Prevent Pretty Poor Performance.

Q, How did the car get down to only 33 miles range?

A. Because either you didn’t recharge it last night or because you didn’t factor a recharge into your trip

In other words you messed up ?

The range indicator shows the estimated range as you are currently driving it or have recently driven it.

I’ve had cars that say 30 miles range, but the meter is showing half full, so slam it into full eco mode, stop doing a Sterling Moss and you will be surprised how far they will go.

Having said that the AA are now carrying chargers for anyone that gets caught out ?

The pedal slipped okay! ? And no I didn’t charge at home.

I would of been fine, 12 chargers on the route. And if I’d of bothered to look at usage and abit of math I’d of realised I’d of achieved 45miles range.

Needless anxiety, but mocha was nice and a successful first charge using CCS.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think anyone ever said everyone should buy an EV today.
EVs are not for everyone yet.
Are there limitations, of course there are as with all new technology.
Will these problems be overcome, of course....people are clever.
The 10 minute charge will be the game changer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WHAT IF IT ISN'T!
This is the point you're continually deflecting away from.
The reason the range isn't enough doesn't matter. "Why" isn't the point.
You have to be somewhere in an hour and you have to drive there.
You set off and, for whatever reason, you don't have enough juice to get there.
You have to stop for half an hour to recharge enough to get you there.
And you're going to be late.

I'm afraid again you have missed the point

People need to change the way they think.

If your an EV owner you make sure your range is ready

It's why home chargers exist. You charge overnight to make sure you have enough for your needs

James even said he had enough charge in end

If you can't plan accordingly there not for you

Plug in hybrids are

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The pedal slipped okay! ? And no I didn’t charge at home.

I would of been fine, 12 chargers on the route. And if I’d of bothered to look at usage and abit of math I’d of realised I’d of achieved 45miles range.

Needless anxiety, but mocha was nice and a successful first charge using CCS.

Will have done the battery good aswell

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't think anyone ever said everyone should buy an EV today.
EVs are not for everyone yet.
Are there limitations, of course there are as with all new technology.
Will these problems be overcome, of course....people are clever.
The 10 minute charge will be the game changer.

Surely it depends on affordability - and the quick charging has been in the pipeline or promised for over a decade now. The Tesla was supposed to be the game changer but it hasn’t really been as such

The game gets changed when

The cars are the same price , give the same performance and reliability, offer the same length of use ( batteries don’t need changing after ten years at high cost ) , and offer the same level of refuelling as petrol/diesel car - I don’t see that being any less than a decade away prob more

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely it depends on affordability - and the quick charging has been in the pipeline or promised for over a decade now. The Tesla was supposed to be the game changer but it hasn’t really been as such

The cars are the same price , give the same performance and reliability, offer the same length of use ( batteries don’t need changing after ten years at high cost ) , and offer the same level of refuelling as petrol/diesel car - I don’t see that being any less than a decade away prob more

As Robert Llewellyn says manufacturers are holding it back.

The price of batteries are so much lower now. The e Corsa was his example it doesn't cost what they charge in difference now

They could easily do for a couple of grand more than petrol really making it an option for more.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm sorry, but in my opinion that is all pretty much wrong or old news.
But the good news is you can continue driving your ICE car for another 15-20 years.
My guess is you wont.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sorry, but in my opinion that is all pretty much wrong or old news.
But the good news is you can continue driving your ICE car for another 15-20 years.
My guess is you wont.

What bit is wrong ?

I have no idea what I’ll be driving but at the moment it won’t be electric because it doesn’t work for me and many will be in the same boat

Until electric is on the same level as petrol car in regards - price , range , same level of refuelling , size , reliability, depreciation- the game won’t change , why would it en mass ?