My Golf GTI was a fantastic car, the Beemer is good too

I want a vehicle where the engine lasts more than 10 years
I’ll let others find the problems, and have them sorted before I get one

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

AliMc

Visit site
Jeez calm down folks, to lighten the mood a little I'll relay a wee conversation i heard recently between two members of my golfing group, one the owner of a new Merc convertible (for fun we will call him Mr Staid) and the other the owner of a Tesla 3 (we can call him Mr Righteous)
I can't remember the exact figures but it won't matter as it's only for FUN

Tesla: nice car, what did it cost ?
Merc: no idea, I bought two, probably around £60k
Tesla: mine was about £48k
Merc: ok
Tesla: Road Tax ?
Merc: £30
Tesla: £0 for mine
Merc: fair enough
Tesla: running costs (per mile)
Merc: no idea and no interest tbh
Tesla: 0 - 60 mph
Merc: no idea and don't care tbh, will guess 5 secs
Tesla: 3 secs for mine

Tesla: so really everything about the Tesla is better
Merc: except that your's looks sh*t

Happy to take an infraction, things are getting a bit too heated for me on here !

D

Deleted member 1147

Both store and power the car no?

And neither are an engine..

So in your book of confusing items of a car they surely are the same?
Don’t worry about trying to convince me I’m wrong!
I’m not buying an Electric Car.
The batteries don’t last long enough, and I won’t buy a car that needs a major part replacing after a few years.

Also, they look shite! Why can’t they design attractive Electric cars, rather than making them look like space age junk?

D

Deleted member 15344

Please make it stop - there is no need to counter every single person who gives a very valid reason why they are making their own personal choice about owning an electric car

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The batteries don’t last long enough, and I won’t buy a car that needs a major part replacing after a few years.

Also, they look shite! Why can’t they design attractive Electric cars, rather than making them look like space age junk?

15-20 years. Would you even own a car that long?

But yes. Agree. They look very spacey, it's like they are trying to be edgy

The Kia e niro was just like the niro. Looked "normal"

The Kia 6 .. spacey

D

Deleted member 15344

Jeez calm down folks, to lighten the mood a little I'll relay a wee conversation i heard recently between two members of my golfing group, one the owner of a new Merc convertible (for fun we will call him Mr Staid) and the other the owner of a Tesla 3 (we can call him Mr Righteous)
I can't remember the exact figures but it won't matter as it's only for FUN

Tesla: nice car, what did it cost ?
Merc: no idea, I bought two, probably around £60k
Tesla: mine was about £48k
Merc: ok
Tesla: Road Tax ?
Merc: £30
Tesla: £0 for mine
Merc: fair enough
Tesla: running costs (per mile)
Merc: no idea and no interest tbh
Tesla: 0 - 60 mph
Merc: no idea and don't care tbh, will guess 5 secs
Tesla: 3 secs for mine

Tesla: so really everything about the Tesla is better
Merc: except that your's looks sh*t

Happy to take an infraction, things are getting a bit too heated for me on here !

I reckon anytime someone gets a Tesla a little bit of Elon Musks personality is added onto the person - strange bunch ??

That’s a near identical conversation when it comes to drivers as well ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
15-20 years. Would you even own a car that long?

But yes. Agree. They look very spacey, it's like they are trying to be edgy

The Kia e niro was just like the niro. Looked "normal"

The Kia 6 .. spacey

For someone who has a wife and 3 kids you spend a lot of time on here involved in pointless petty arguments.

Stop winding each other up and just let it go.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

To be fair, they are starting to look good.

The Porsche Tacan, Audi e-Tron, BMW are starting to get there too. I realise there's a bit of personal taste around that though.

For me it's the cost and infrastructure, although mostly the upfront cost.

I'm not someone that wants to finance a car, I don't like having monthly payments and I like to hang on to them for a while. My current car is nearly 7 years old and I'd be keeping it for a while longer if I didn't need to change it soon for logistical reasons, I'm now looking at a second hand Q7. I'd love to be able to afford an electric car of equivalent size, but I can't, and there's no way on god's green earth I'm driving an MPV.

When it comes down to it, that's probably (not really any probably about it) not the right decision from an environmental perspective. But the alternative still wouldn't be an electric car as it's simply not viable for me - it would be an MPV with a small turbocharged petrol engine. I enjoy driving, I'm sure I'd enjoy driving an electric car, I just can't afford one that meets my needs.

D

Deleted member 1147

To be fair, they are starting to look good.

The Porsche Tacan, Audi e-Tron, BMW are starting to get there too. I realise there's a bit of personal taste around that though.

For me it's the cost and infrastructure, although mostly the upfront cost.

I'm not someone that wants to finance a car, I don't like having monthly payments and I like to hang on to them for a while. My current car is nearly 7 years old and I'd be keeping it for a while longer if I didn't need to change it soon for logistical reasons, I'm now looking at a second hand Q7. I'd love to be able to afford an electric car of equivalent size, but I can't, and there's no way on god's green earth I'm driving an MPV.

When it comes down to it, that's probably (not really any probably about it) not the right decision from an environmental perspective. But the alternative still wouldn't be an electric car as it's simply not viable for me - it would be an MPV with a small turbocharged petrol engine. I enjoy driving, I'm sure I'd enjoy driving an electric car, I just can't afford one that meets my needs.
Porsche, Audi e-tron etc are not the normal cars that the general public tend to buy en masse.
Most of us will want to replace our family hatchbacks and saloons.