Taking up Golf - Help and Advice

Golf_Bot

Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying your golf but.....
You may have some faults that you are grooving in so when you do have a lesson, it's much harder to fix the problem.
I would suggest having a lesson sooner rather than later and get your basics checked.
Yes, many have said this and I understand the risks of playing with poor technique. I'm still learning and will consider it on my journey but finding enjoyment during this pandemic was my priority, thanks.

Fabia999

Visit site
I started out watching PGA professional coaches on YouTube, as much as I could watch and searching problems I was having. Spent a lot of time on the par 3 courses until one day my irons just clicked and I started hitting them better.

I started out with a Slazenger set (driver, 5 iron, 7 iron, PW, Putter) and just slowly expanded. New clubs at a cheap price, I don’t see any negatives.

Although I agree with the lessons, I waited until I was atleast connecting with the ball and needed help correcting something specific before I went, I don’t think it’s vital to go as soon as you start.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hey,

I‘ve recently been bitten by the golfing bug after a couple of hours at the range, before the weekend I had never swung a club in my life but after spending an hour-or-so at the range with a friend on Sunday I feel hooked. I’ll not lie, my shots were terrible but I really enjoyed it and my friend has said that I should give it a try and get myself some clubs so we can get a few rounds in.

Well, after a few hours of trawling through eBay I have realised that I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for, what’s good and what’s not, how old things are or if they will even fit me (I’m only 5’6”). I was hoping to pick up enough stuff to get out playing by the weekend if possible but only have a limited budget of around £350 (I went to America’s Golf on my lunch hour and this won’t even get me a set of irons....!).

Is it possible for me to get what I need to get out playing, or is my budget simply unrealistic?

Hi,

Appreciate I'm a few days later here.

I think it is absolutely great advice to get some lessons straight away, but in reality very few people ever do this. They want to get out and play a few games and see where they are at. I'd say you can def get maybe 2 hours worth of lessons to help with the basics in terms of grip, posture, basic swing theory. This could be invaluable compared to playing for a year or so, feeling like you are progressing ok, but picking up bad habits (with the grip especially) that will be tough to kick.

Personally would suggest avoiding YouTube too much, at least without a coach giving you personal advice. Very easy to get the wrong end of the stick on YT. Just my view, others obviously have a different opinion.

I would definitely go and buy a set or half set on gum tree or facebook. How you hit the ball is far more important than what you are playing with. For a total beginner, clubs are almost totally irrelevant and you would possibly score as well with an elite ball strikers set, v a cheap beginners set, v a reasonable 2nd hand set that most amateurs would put together. But as you progress you will start to learn the attributes of your game and the kind of clubs that might give you more help or assistance.

But the 2nd hand set will likely give you more value and more of a base to build your bag if you get into it. It should also hold it's value if you decide to sell for upgrades, or sell as it's taking up too much space in your garage. As with gumtree / facebook, it can be time consuming looking through ads, trying to get more info and meeting up with people, but in my experience, if you are patient, you'll get something half decent.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes that’s my local or “home” course I guess, although we do have one around 5 mins away; Billingham Golf Club and then Knotty Hill Golf Centre a little further in the other direction. If I’m willing to travel upto say 20-30 minutes there’s probably around 20 or so courses in the area.
Where about do you live? If you’re only 5 mins from Billingham there are a fair few courses not far from there, each with pro shops selling equipment and offering lessons. American Golf is based at Ingleby Barwick golf club and has a decent second hand section, although they don’t put details of stock online.